What to spend a large amount of money on?

Watch
aasdfghjkl
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
So, recently there was a bereavement in my family and I was sent some money, a few thousand. I've spent all my life saving money, all my pocket money from childhood and majority of money from my jobs has just gone into my savings. I know the wise thing is to save this money but is there anything more I can do with it? Like I was thinking of buying a new camera and I can use some for uni, but I think I deserve to splurge on something.
Soph.Jade
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Holiday? Car?
vincentjack
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Go travelling!
quentinhamilton
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
travelling
kka25
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Save some in savings and use the rest for something you really like
domonict
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Depends on your age.

But a holiday is a "non"investment. A car is a liability at most universities as they are expensive to run and most uni's don't allow on campus parking.

If it was me (boring) I would shove it in a high interest rainy day account for uni. You will hopefully never be more hard up than when a uni student. Having a fall back is good and perhaps the deceased would be happy to know that it wasn't blown on instant gratification but on "your future"
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
A decent pc for uni maybe?
username1586817
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by claireestelle)
A decent pc for uni maybe?
seconded
somethingbeautiful
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'd put it towards a deposit on a mortgage - it's so difficult to get onto the property ladder these days. I'd rather that than a holiday -you can take holidays when you're working and earning. Really it depends on your priorities and life goals.

Posted from TSR Mobile
_Fergo
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
My heart says travelling, but my brain says save it.
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by somethingbeautiful)
I'd put it towards a deposit on a mortgage - it's so difficult to get onto the property ladder these days. I'd rather that than a holiday -you can take holidays when you're working and earning. Really it depends on your priorities and life goals.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I d second this. Keeping most of my 13k inheritance for a deposit/wedding but then am on a £200 week holiday so if you do want something go for a good deal
aasdfghjkl
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Thanks for all your suggestions!!! I don't see me spending it in the near future so yeah I'll save it and maybe go travelling next summer! Thanks again!!!
VannR
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
A holiday or a high-end piece of technology is the best way to spend right now. Cars are not a good spend on a student loan because they have their own extra costs.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (64)
21.84%
Excited but a bit nervous (132)
45.05%
Not bothered either way (36)
12.29%
I'm really nervous (61)
20.82%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

Oops, nobody has posted
in the last few hours.

Why not re-start the conversation?

Start new discussion

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise