Question about racism

Watch
Hihowareyou
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I was reading a dictionary definition of the word 'racist' the other day and I was surprised to see that religious discrimination is included in the definition.

2. racist - discriminatory especially on the basis of race or religion
Source: http://www.thefreedictionary.com/racist

So is it correct to regard religious discrimination as racism?
username917703
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
No
Duskstar
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Yes, racism can be related to nationality/culture, and culture ties in directly with religion.
WillNegForReps
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
racist basically means you don't vote for the left wing party
Hihowareyou
Rep:
?
(Original post by Duskstar)
Yes, racism can be related to nationality/culture, and culture ties in directly with religion.
In this case is it correct to call someone who hates American citizens a racist? Even though American citizens comprise people of different races?

Another example, is it correct to call someone who hates Buddhists a racist?
Duskstar
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Hihowareyou)
In this case is it correct to call someone who hates American citizens a racist? Even though American citizens comprise people of different races?

Another example, is it correct to call someone who hates Buddhists a racist?
Very much yes to both.
Hihowareyou
Rep:
?
Very much yes to both.
Thanks for the answer.
However it seems that many people are in a disagreement over the usage of the word 'racist'. I sometimes see religious people accuse others of racism when they are getting insulted for their religion, and others respond by saying you can't be racist towards followers of a religion because they are not a race. This really confuses me.
Duskstar
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Thanks for the answer.
However it seems that many people are in a disagreement over the usage of the word 'racist'. I sometimes see religious people accuse others of racism when they are getting insulted for their religion, and others respond by saying you can't be racist towards followers of a religion because they are not a race. This really confuses me.
Yeah I'm 99% sure it's classed as racism. It's not called 'religism' is it :P
DocWho49
Badges: 19
Report 6 years ago
Just be nice to everyone, its easy lol
thecatwithnohat
Badges: 20
Report 6 years ago
I'm backing you up on this one
RumpeIstiltskin
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Legally speaking Sikhs and Jews are considered a race but I wouldn't say racism is related to religion or that criticising Judaism or Sikhism is racist.
Duskstar
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by thecatwithnohat)
I'm backing you up on this one
Thanks, that really means a lot :P
thecatwithnohat
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by RumpeIstiltskin)
Legally speaking Sikhs and Jews are considered a race but I wouldn't say racism is related to religion or that criticising Judaism or Sikhism is racist.
There is such thing as religious prejudice -> discriminating against one because of their religion -> thus racism.

It's in the same category really

Thanks, that really means a lot :P
Haha! No problemo :innocent:
Nmys
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Yeah I agree with you, I don't think discriminating on the basis of religion is racist. I think race refers to ethnicity or nationality, so by saying "I hate all Americans" that would be a form of racism but saying "I hate all Christians" is... something else, there may be a word but I don't know it.

But aren't Jews considered a race? So in that respect saying "I hate Jews" can be racist...
Jibola240
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
There is such thing as religious prejudice -> discriminating against one because of their religion -> thus racism.

It's in the same category really

Haha! No problemo :innocent:
That doesn't explain why religious prejudice is the same as racism.
Bag of Peanuts
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I was reading a dictionary definition of the word 'racist' the other day and I was surprised to see that religious discrimination is included in the definition.

Source: http://www.thefreedictionary.com/racist

So is it correct to regard religious discrimination as racism?
I hate to say yes because when people pull the race card, if you include religion it's never ending. You can be any religion and be any race within that religion. You can be part of an ethnicity that is seen to be a certain religion, commonly, and not be part of that religion still.

The answer is no. Race is skin color, please leave the term alone, things are confusing and tall orders enough. Stop hanging on the race coattail to get rights. Religion is far more dangerous and influential than race. Race is actually the dumbest classification ever because we can all agree everyone within each race is different, respectively. Religion however, no matter how different you are, if you're a true worshiper (as millions of people within each religion are), you will unify under doctrines and traditions that can negatively affect other people. Not the same for race. Just make "religionism" a word and be done with it, or possibly a word less cringe.
RumpeIstiltskin
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If I hated christianity and so refused to let any christian into my shop, how would that be racist? What is the christian race? Your logic makes no sense.
thecatwithnohat
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Jibola240)
That doesn't explain why religious prejudice is the same as racism.
If I hated christianity and so refused to let any christian into my shop, how would that be racist? What is the christian race? Your logic makes no sense.
Perhaps racism isn't the right word for this sort of behaviour. But along with some cultures, comes religion. I think they're intertwined, but can't be pointed at separately.

E.g. Dubai is a predominately Muslim state, yes? If someone turned a Christian tourist away from their stall in the market because they thought that Christianity was idk, 'trash', then that is discriminatory behaviour. Definitely discriminatory behaviour, but racism isn't the right word for it :sad:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (5)
3.85%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (22)
16.92%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (23)
17.69%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (17)
13.08%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (39)
30%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (24)
18.46%

Watched Threads