The Student Room Group

3D Trigonometry and Planes

A waste paper basket has a top ABCD that is a square of side 30cm and a base that is a square of side 20. The line joining the centres of the top and base PQRS is perpendicular to both and is 40cm long.
I've found the diagonals AC and PR of each base.
How would one find the length AP ??
Reply 1
Original post by Mr Pussyfoot
A waste paper basket has a top ABCD that is a square of side 30cm and a base that is a square of side 20. The line joining the centres of the top and base PQRS is perpendicular to both and is 40cm long.
I've found the diagonals AC and PR of each base.
How would one find the length AP ??

Iimagine the point E which lies on the diagonal AC. directly above P.
Draw the "vertical" triangle AEP
Pythagoras on it
Reply 2
Thanks a lot, however I found that this was not possible as AEP would not be a right angles triangle as length AP is not vertical. Instead, I found the length below A by doing 30-20 and since the perpendicular height Is 40 I could use Pythagoras.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks a lot, however I found that this was not possible as AEP would not be a right angles triangle as length AP is not vertical.

It's EP that is vertical, and AE horizontal, hence a rightangled triangle.

Instead, I found the length below A by doing 30-20 and since the perpendicular height Is 40 I could use Pythagoras.

Can't see how that would work.
Reply 4

Yes, really.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
So what would AE be?

Posted from TSR Mobile
So what would AE be?

Posted from TSR Mobile

By Pythagoras AC=302AC=30\sqrt{2}

And similar triangles (drop a perpendicular from E to AB if you need)

AE=52AE=5\sqrt{2}

Added a diagram to my previous post.
Reply 8
That does seem to make more sense, but which two triangles are similar??? Can't seem to picture it in my mind
That does seem to make more sense, but which two triangles are similar??? Can't seem to picture it in my mind

Draw an overhead view and drop the perpendicular I suggest.

ABC and A(foot of perpendicular)E.

PS: Quote if you want a reply, as it then comes up under "Notifications"
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ghostwalker
Draw an overhead view and drop the perpendicular I suggest.

ABC and A(foot of perpendicular)E.

PS: Quote if you want a reply, as it then comes up under "Notifications"

😂😂 Thanks for the tip, and you mean that AE forms a triangle when you imagine a perpendicular to AB? if so this is similar to ABC but I still don't see how that came to 5 root 2

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks for the tip, and you mean that AE forms a triangle when you imagine a perpendicular to AB? if so this is similar to ABC but I still don't see how that came to 5 root 2

Posted from TSR Mobile

A, E, together with the foot of the perpendicular from E to AB - I'll call it F - forms one triangle.

So, AFE and ABC are similiar.

Hopefully you have drawn a diagram with the overhead view, and the length of AF should be clear.

So, AF: AB :: AE : AC
A, E, together with the foot of the perpendicular from E to AB - I'll call it F - forms one triangle.

So, AFE and ABC are similiar.

Hopefully you have drawn a diagram with the overhead view, and the length of AF should be clear.

So, AF: AB :: AE : AC

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1432486585.479491.jpg

So this would be what it would look like?

Posted from TSR Mobile
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1432486585.479491.jpg

So this would be what it would look like?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not quite. You need the smaller lower square in as well to see what's happening clearly - note that it has the same centre as the upper square. AF will be 5.
Not quite. You need the smaller lower square in as well to see what's happening clearly - note that it has the same centre as the upper square. AF will be 5.

Oh I think understand what you meant: AF is 5cm because of (30-20)/2 and this gives AF:AB---> 1:6. Similarly AE will be 1/6 of 30√2??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh I think understand what you meant: AF is 5cm because of (30-20)/2 and this gives AF:AB---> 1:6. Similarly AE will be 1/6 of 30√2??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep.

Quick Reply

Latest