HG_07
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Welcome to this year's forum! Any advice or tips would definitely be useful!!
DJC1996
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hey, I'm sitting this exam, too! You ready for it? What do you think is the hardest part of the CH4 spec ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
HG_07
Rep:
?
Hey, I think I'm prepared just need to go over some small things like making sure I know the reagents for some reactions that I keep forgetting. Overall, it's quite a content heavy exam but to be specific, I'd say nitrogen chemistry is quite challenging. How about you, feeling prepared?
DJC1996
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by HG_07)
Hey, I think I'm prepared just need to go over some small things like making sure I know the reagents for some reactions that I keep forgetting. Overall, it's quite a content heavy exam but to be specific, I'd say nitrogen chemistry is quite challenging. How about you, feeling prepared?
Yah feeling pretty prepared! Quite nervous tbh. I prefer CH5 to CH4 I think

Posted from TSR Mobile
HG_07
Rep:
?
Yeah definitely very nervous, just hope it's quite a reasonable paper like recent years have been. Yeah definitely agree, going to have to gain more UMS in ch5
DJC1996
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yep I hope so too :/. I always thought CH4 was a lot easier simply because 80% of it is regurgitating information, but after some past papers you realise that the mark schemes so specific and you can drop marks quite easily

Posted from TSR Mobile
HG_07
Rep:
?
Yeah that's definitely true although, repetition of questions is quite clear in some areas of ch4 so fingers crossed some things make a re-appreance haha!
DJC1996
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
When they ask for an equation for a particular reaction- are you allowed to write out the molecules in this format : CH3CH2CHOO for propanoic acid, or must you write it out C3H6O2 ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
DJC1996
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
COOH* ^^^^ for the carboxyl group not CHOO

Posted from TSR Mobile
HG_07
Rep:
?
(Original post by DJC1996)
When they ask for an equation for a particular reaction- are you allowed to write out the molecules in this format : CH3CH2CHOO for propanoic acid, or must you write it out C3H6O2 ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think from what I've seen you'd write it out as ch3ch2cooh. That's what my teacher has taught us too
DJC1996
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Ok sweet

Posted from TSR Mobile
HG_07
Rep:
?
Does anyone have all of the reagents and reactions we need to know please like in a table or something? As I keep getting confused with all of them
DJC1996
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Not reagents and conditions, sorry :/. But here's quite a good summary of every test http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/atta...1&d=1326148796

Posted from TSR Mobile
HG_07
Rep:
?
That's great thanks, was helpful
Madhutty
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Just to clarify... When it says 'displayed formula', what's the difference compared with when it says 'structural formula'
Tarasinclair_97
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Madhutty)
Just to clarify... When it says 'displayed formula', what's the difference compared with when it says 'structural formula'
Structural for example is written like e.g for ethanoic acid CH3COOH
Displayed you draw the bonds and that I think
HG_07
Rep:
?
Could someone please clarify what the reagents are for producing azo dyes?

Posted from TSR Mobile
DJC1996
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Well azo dye is a term that can be used to describe lots of different compounds. But to form the benzenediazonium salt (which can then react to form various azo dyes) you must react a mixture of sodium nitrite and hydrochloric acid (forms HNO2 nitrous acid) with phenylamine in an ice bath (below 5 degrees). This forms the aforementioned salt (benezenediazonium chloride) which can react with, for example, phenol, phenylamine, or napthalen-2-ol to form azo dyes . I think all of those are yellow but could be wrong.
DJC1996
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
When separating mixtures of liquids- when should one use steam distillation and when should one use fractional distillation?
manjot97
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by DJC1996)
When separating mixtures of liquids- when should one use steam distillation and when should one use fractional distillation?
Can someone answer this? I think my teacher told me that you use steam distillation for amines. Anyone know the actual answer?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (44)
18.72%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (67)
28.51%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (88)
37.45%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (30)
12.77%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (6)
2.55%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise