The Student Room Group

WJEC CH4 June 2015

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Maxmeisterrr
What did people put for the first question? I put blue lower lower but not sure if the lowers are right?

That's what I put too

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 81
What did people get for compound W? I got a c=c 3 ethyl, 1 methyl group I fear like I did a big mistake though! It annoyed me how little of the regents came up and not to mention that 4 marker on Compound 1/2/3. I managed to analyse them but was completely flustered at making the compound.
[QUOTE="HG_07;56843319"]
What did people put for the first question? I put blue lower lower but not sure if the lowers are right?

That's what I put too

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank God🙏

Posted from TSR Mobile
First question was blue-higher-higher.

Compound W was 2,3-dimethylhex-2-ene or something like that, with 3 methyl groups and one ethyl group.
If benzene absorbs UV and nitrobenzene absorbs blue light, then benzene is absorbing light of higher energy and thus higher frequencies as E=hf
Reply 85
Wow i just realized I didnt answer the first NMR question because I didn't think there were hydrogens on the benzene ring. That's what happens when you don't sleep before an exam lmao.
Original post by Rhetorical Hips
If benzene absorbs UV and nitrobenzene absorbs blue light, then benzene is absorbing light of higher energy and thus higher frequencies as E=hf

Yes, that's what i put.
I got 2,3 dimethylhex-2-ene as well. Also got blue higher higher for first question. Can anyone remember a mechanism question? How many marks was it because I didn't see it.
What was the compound W question again?😣

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by pussyandmaths
I got 2,3 dimethylhex-2-ene as well. Also got blue higher higher for first question. Can anyone remember a mechanism question? How many marks was it because I didn't see it.

3 I think

Posted from TSR Mobile

Electrophilic addition of H-Cl across double bond

Posted from TSR Mobile

Knew it was either higher higher or lower lower but wasn't sure which so put one of each to atleast get a mark :biggrin:
The compound W alkene questions were rather funny, I can see them throwing some people off. The first part of section B was also difficult IMO, and the for the 1 marker on the last page, what is missing from the first bullet point, what did you guys write?

I put 'time spent refluxing' for that, and yeah, i wasn't a fan of the first part of section B.
That exam was a tough exam, there was less of just putting down what you know, and more understanding of principles of what they were explaining in the exam like the question an c triple bond c and the keystone questions!
Original post by steffanjones
Knew it was either higher higher or lower lower but wasn't sure which so put one of each to atleast get a mark :biggrin:

We meet again Steffan :wink:

People in my school, myself included, agree it's Higher-Higher, something to do with absorbing UV rather than blue light?

YESSSSSSSS I had 2,3 di methyl hex-2-ene too. And i had higher higher on the first question. Yh there was a CH2 mechanism with addition of H-Br to an alkene by electrophilic addition.
First question was blue-higher-higher.

Compound W was 2,3-dimethylhex-2-ene or something like that, with 3 methyl groups and one ethyl group.

I got the same Compound W :smile: what was the answer to the question underneath worth 1 mark? Had the name of a different compound asking why that couldn't be W
Original post by fraser97
I put 'time spent refluxing' for that, and yeah, i wasn't a fan of the first part of section B.

Ah yeah that sounds like it's correct to me, I know others who put the same. I kind of was grasping at straws - I said conditions should be anhydrous, make sure they're mixed, attach vertical condenser... lol
What did everyone have as the empiral formula for the carboxylic acid? I had C2H502?
Reply 99
I also put time refluxing. I'm so annoyed at that compount W question I'm pretty sure I forgot to minus one of the spots by 1 before dividing it. My brain was in pieces by the end.

Quick Reply

Latest