This discussion is closed.
Sir I. Newton
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
I think more people should do further maths and not be put off by the "rock solid maths" that it takes to be good at it. In my opinion, MEI Pure 2 is the hardest module i've come across up to now and I've done P1-P4,M1-M4 and S1-2, and everyone has to do Pure 2 to get an A level in maths. Theres not that much extra work, I taught myself the work and just sat in the lessons brushing up on the techniques used in F.Maths. And at the end of it all, you get two A levels in F.Maths, and that'll look good on your UCAS application form. I think more people should consider F.Maths. Anyone agree/disagree?
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
People might not be able to do Further Maths though; at my college, they'll only let you do it if you got an A or an A* for Maths at GCSE. They did start an AS Further Maths class for Upper Sixth students, which I was part of.

I did P1-P3, M1, M2 and S1 for A Level Maths and P4, D1 and S2 for AS Further Maths. Stats and Decision are really boring IMO. I like Pure and Mechanics equally tbh. P4 was quite tough.
Sir I. Newton
Rep:
?
Yeah I see that some people just can't do F.maths, but I think its no harder than normal maths. P6 looks a beast but I'm goin to do it, no 1 from my school before has ever done it, I only want to do it because of the multivariable calculus involved in it and the 3x3 matrices, I just want to understand maths fully and keep progressing and getting better at it. I can't wait till i'm on pure 5,6 and mechs 5,6 because you actually get to apply yourself to the subjects instead of doing a set procedure of calculations, you first have to think and plan your way through and question. Can anyone tell me the uses of partial differentiation?
ickle_katy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
in my school they only let you do further maths if you start it in year 10, and well at 14 the last thing i wanted to b doing was maths a level! i was quite happy to do nothing 4 a year then re-start in 6th form.

love Katy ***
Sir I. Newton
Rep:
?
Thats quite steep for a 14 yr old. I started my AS's last september and started F.maths this march because i asked to because pure 1 and mechs 1 were in my opinion easy. so i started pure 4 and thought it wasn't all that bad and didnt deserve its reputation as the hard module. now ive completed p2,p3,p4,m2,m3 and im currently doing m4 and s2, and i'll take all these modules in january, but most of the people in my f.maths started A level maths in yr 11 by doing mechs 1 and pure 1, so they have had a headstart, but i worked hard and got ahead, now all my class are thinkin of takin the easy way out and droppin it because "its too hard" when they know it isn't, there just lazy. but I do think more people could do f.maths if they had the will power to do so.
EddieB
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Originally posted by Sir I. Newton
I think more people should do further maths and not be put off by the "rock solid maths" that it takes to be good at it. In my opinion, MEI Pure 2 is the hardest module i've come across up to now and I've done P1-P4,M1-M4 and S1-2, and everyone has to do Pure 2 to get an A level in maths. Theres not that much extra work, I taught myself the work and just sat in the lessons brushing up on the techniques used in F.Maths. And at the end of it all, you get two A levels in F.Maths, and that'll look good on your UCAS application form. I think more people should consider F.Maths. Anyone agree/disagree?
But don't forget:

The more people who do Further Maths
The more people who pass it
The more people who have qualifications in it
The more it reduces the value of Further Maths in the first place.

Eddie
Sir I. Newton
Rep:
?
I'm Doing MEI Structured Mathematics Pure 6 (OCR B), the Multivariable calculus section contains Partial Differentiation, I just wondered if it told you where stationary points are in a 3d image, like the differential of a normal f(x) but instead with f(x,y). Believe me, MEI Pure 6 is a beast. I was told that MEI is the hardest A level maths exams by a cheif examiner on an open day, and that MEI pure 5 and 6 contain a lot of the course from the first year of university mathematics. I looked at a Pure 1 edexcel paper a while back and it was totally different from the MEI pure 1 papers I'm familiar with.
rIcHrD
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I did maths & further maths, doing all pures (1-7) and all mechanics (1-6), excluding M3 on AQA. I have to say it really helped me with maths, gave me understanding and all the rest was practice to get rid of those silly mistakes.

I'd recommend it as a good A-level because, when done with maths you're only really doing 1 A-level but you get 2 grades with your maths grade being invariably equal to or better than your further maths grade, so not much is lost and a lot is gained. One problem though is if your school/college like mine decides to run further maths in parallel with maths, making things a bit more tricky.
lou p lou
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i definately think people are put off the idea of doin further maths- when i chose my subjects it just didn't appeal to me, but by about november of the AS course i realised i really enjoy maths (+ i would have been allowed to do further- i got A* at gcse) + i want to do it as part of my degree (with psychology), further matsh would have been so useful + due to a rubbish timetable i can't even do the AS next year.

If college had tried a little harder to make further maths more appealing i would have probably done it- but it was never really suggested + a girl from my old school who is really bright (she was one of the top 5 candidates for gcse maths, along with chem + history- don't u hate peope like that?) had a 5 minute talk from one of the teachers about why she shudn't do it cos it's so hard...god help the rest of us!

if i could restart college i would definately do further maths- cos i now know i will be at a disadvantage at uni.
bloodhound
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Originally posted by Sir I. Newton
I'm Doing MEI Structured Mathematics Pure 6 (OCR B), the Multivariable calculus section contains Partial Differentiation, I just wondered if it told you where stationary points are in a 3d image, like the differential of a normal f(x) but instead with f(x,y). Believe me, MEI Pure 6 is a beast. I was told that MEI is the hardest A level maths exams by a cheif examiner on an open day, and that MEI pure 5 and 6 contain a lot of the course from the first year of university mathematics. I looked at a Pure 1 edexcel paper a while back and it was totally different from the MEI pure 1 papers I'm familiar with.
i think partial differentials give you a maximum when one of the variables is constant. and yeah u do get the maximums in the 3d image but i dont think thats whats its called.
Sir I. Newton
Rep:
?
Originally posted by rIcHrD
I did maths & further maths, doing all pures (1-7) and all mechanics (1-6), excluding M3 on AQA. I have to say it really helped me with maths, gave me understanding and all the rest was practice to get rid of those silly mistakes.
Pure 1 -7? On OCR it only goes up to pure 6 and on OCR you can't do M4 without doing M3 because its dependant on M3.
rIcHrD
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Well, did mine on AQA and on their specification, M3 is not in maths or further maths. Can't remember what it was for though.
Sir I. Newton
Rep:
?
Don't you have to strike a balance between pure and applied maths on AQA? like if you want to do 6 pure modules you have to balance that up with 6 applied modules for it to stand.
Sir I. Newton
Rep:
?
I just looked on the AQA GCE A Level Mathematics A website and there was no pure 7 there, Pures 1 - 6, Mechs 1 - 6 and Stats 1 - 6 plus all the others like D&D and Methods. Looks somewhat suspicious about pure 7, when most people tell me they've done pure 6 I take that with disbelief because most are trying to look better than they are, but pure 7 which has no history or position in the AQA specification.
byb3
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
they sell a P7 book for AQA on the heinemann.co.uk website. Wonder what its about..
rIcHrD
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
LoL. Well there are 2 possibilities. Either I imagined doing P7 or I actually did it . I pick the latter. Btw just kidding .

Anyways, I'll describe in detail my course:
AQA Mathematics and Statistics B Mathematics P1, P2, M1, P4, P5, M2.
AQA Mathematics and Statistics B Further Mathematics P3, M4, M5, P6, P7, M6.
The first three of each set of modules are the AS modules; the latter are the A2 modules.

I'm not a pompous person, so I don't say things to make myself look big tho I know what you mean... some people do! I must admit myself P7 sounded a bit strange... I didn't know they had that many pures initially, but I soon found out.

http://www.aqa.org.uk/qual/pdf/AQA-6320-W-SP-04.pdf
Check out page 26, section 8.14 & 8.15 which outline the modules I did for further maths, including P7 (which is also in table of contents), hence P7 is a real module done by AQA and i'm sure you can read up on it if you want. Just wanted to put things straight .

Peace!
It'sPhil...
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
the aqa course looks well dodgy. you're P5 looks easier than edexcel P3 but youre P3 has loads of stuff thats in edexcel P4. also P7 just looks hard.

i suppose all the boards cover the same stuff, just probably in a different order so no one can really say that any board is easier than others but damn aqa looks easy (apart from P7) plus you dont have the problem of edexcels completely inconsistent exams
rIcHrD
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
hehe, P7 is only a tiny lil module. P6 is the real beast of aqa further maths. P7 is more like a tiny extension of it. But yeh... they all do it in different orders and thank god we don't get edexcel's impossible questions .
The Duke
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
M1-6 and P1-6. Step II and III. Yeah, now try telling me you gots the biggest bawls. Punk.
rIcHrD
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Can someone plz give me the website for MEI & EDEXCEL maths specifications? Would be nice to see how easy AQA is compared.

Partial differentiation... don't think we did that, but dunno, maybe it's just different names for same thing.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (269)
34.18%
No (518)
65.82%

Watched Threads