Turn on thread page Beta

STEP (sixth term examination papers) are required by some universites to give them more information about the abilities of their mathematics applicants. You take them at the end of the A level exam season. Step 1 and 2 are for students that haven't done further maths and are consequently easier than Step 3. They will form part of your conditional offer and if you don't pass them at the required level even though you might achieve required grades at A level you will most probably not be accepted. Hope this helps.

(Original post by Sir I. Newton)
    Thats quite steep for a 14 yr old. I started my AS's last september and started F.maths this march because i asked to because pure 1 and mechs 1 were in my opinion easy. so i started pure 4 and thought it wasn't all that bad and didnt deserve its reputation as the hard module. now ive completed p2,p3,p4,m2,m3 and im currently doing m4 and s2, and i'll take all these modules in january, but most of the people in my f.maths started A level maths in yr 11 by doing mechs 1 and pure 1, so they have had a headstart, but i worked hard and got ahead, now all my class are thinkin of takin the easy way out and droppin it because "its too hard" when they know it isn't, there just lazy. but I do think more people could do f.maths if they had the will power to do so.
    The above quote of 3rd July would seem to contradict what you told us on 29th July. Please clarify!!!

I did pure mathematics 4 5 6 and mechanics 4 5 6 and i did not find them so difficult as they a lot of students said

I did pure mathematics 4 5 6 and mechanics 4 5 6 .I did not find them so difficult as a lot of students say

ReputationRep:
    I did my GCSE maths a year early, which gave me an advantage to do P1 in my GCSE year. Since then i had been given the oppotunity to finish my whole maths a level in lower 6th. Unfortunately this means no free periods. I gave up P3 and will do it next year. However how many identities are there in P2! wow! Mechanics is brilliant. and Statistics is too boring... S1 is as far as i will go!

ReputationRep:
    I'm in the same position. I'm not too sure about taking Further Maths though, because while Maths/Engineering uni's love it, I've heard that medical schools don't like too mathematical students. What do you think?

ReputationRep:
    I am doing AS level maths right now and I am considering doing AS further maths, but I don't see how it would work.

This year I'll have done P1, M1, D1, next year will be doing P2, P3, M2, but further maths I want to go upto P6. However I can't do this because I need to know P2, P3 before even beginning AS further maths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mik1a)
    I am doing AS level maths right now and I am considering doing AS further maths, but I don't see how it would work.

This year I'll have done P1, M1, D1, next year will be doing P2, P3, M2, but further maths I want to go upto P6. However I can't do this because I need to know P2, P3 before even beginning AS further maths.
    well assumming ur doin the edexcel board,when u first start further maths u'll b doin p4.The first 3 chapters are algebra, complex numbers and sequence and series.Which dont really require any p2 knowledge, the later on chapters are 1st and 2nd order differential equations,its not a must that u know p3 at this stage but it would help because there is some 1st order equations in the calculus section of p3,but its not a must.So u dont really in the end need to know p2 or even p3 to do p4.
    Oh and there's also polar coordinates,thats nice though!

ReputationRep:
    I’m doing an AS in FM (not offered in my school so studying over a distance learning scheme)
    MEI structured maths: p4, p5 and m4

I will not have time to complete the full A level, but am considering doing 1 more module. Which would be more beneficial for engineering: p6 or m5?

ReputationRep:
    At present I'm studying maths, further maths and further maths additional - I also study economics. Next year I hope to take up physics AS and do Use of Maths AS (just out of interest). All of those 6 subjects are very mathsy, but I've been told that will work to my advantage when applying to uni. I did my GCSE when I was 12 but didn't start A level til I was 14, I've now almsot finished my 2nd A level in maths in order to do my 3rd A level next year. All in all, I'm doing P1-P6, M1-5, D1&2, S1-4 and NM. I hate decision maths, love pure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ferg)
    I’m doing an AS in FM (not offered in my school so studying over a distance learning scheme)
    MEI structured maths: p4, p5 and m4

I will not have time to complete the full A level, but am considering doing 1 more module. Which would be more beneficial for engineering: p6 or m5?
    I'd say M5. P6 looks very interesting indeed, but can't imagine any of it would be relevant for engineering!

ReputationRep:
    M5 is quite extreme, I thought it used some of the principles of P5/P6 as well? Maybe it is just the exam boards.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    M5 is quite extreme, I thought it used some of the principles of P5/P6 as well? Maybe it is just the exam boards.
    That's all the more reason to do M5 rather than P6. To do well in M5 you won't have any choice but to learn some of the P6 (which, let's face it, isn't particularly difficult) and you will end up knowing more maths.

ReputationRep:
    PLEASE I NEED SERIUOS HELP! i am doing the advanced ICT course at college. The only reason they let me in it was coz i had very good grades in my subjects except GCSE MATHS my dumb high school teacher entered me for the higher teir and i was'nt ready for that i was working on the intermediate level and my target was a B.

SO when the results came back i got a big fat U!
    i am only allowed to progress to the 2nd year if i get my GCSE grade C! they keep on telling me that i could do sommat equivilant of a GCSE MATHS but i dont know of any such scheme!

I am looking for a way aroung GCSE maths prehaps sommat a bit easier!
    please help me for i am thinking about comminting SUACIDE and im not joking!

ReputationRep:
    Look Mate You Just Spammed About 4 Threads Already, Leave It And We might Help You.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 28, 2004

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.