Media Studies A2 OCR (G325)
Considering we've had no proper media teacher all year (yay) I'm quite confused on Section 1B (theories) I'm quite unsure how to apply them and how to structure the question.
Any advice or extra material would be appreciated, thanks x
The theorists I've been using in revision and practice exam questions for section B (I got 40/50 and 45/50 in both) are:
1. Wikinomics Theory - by Tapscott and Williams: They argue that we are at the age of the 'Prosumer', which means a consumer (us as an audience) are becoming producers. Examples of this would be artists like Justin Bieber and Conor Maynard who uploaded videos of themselves singing on YouTube and are now famous world wide. It's bascially stating how easier it is for us to become producers than it was in the past (the past is something you NEED to cover if you are wanting to aim high, as well as the present and future). Another example would be music websites and apps such as 'SoundCloud' where any user can upload their own music. Its the same for the film industry, like 'Paranormal Activity' that started off as an Indie film and then turned into a worldwide phenomenon.
2. Long Tail Theory - by Chris Anderson: he basically states that online subscriptions apps such as Netflix and Amazon allow unlimited shelf space for products (CD's or DVD's) Unlike High Street shops like HMV which have limited shelf space. He says how online subscriptions like Netflix and Amazon allow niche markets to become more popular and to be discovered than they would in shops like HMV as there are millions of DVDs and CDs found on Amazon. Again, this would not have been able to do in the past
3. We Think Theory - by Charles Leadbeater: His theory is about Mass Collaboration and how society communicates with each other, discussing ideas about the media. This can be seen via twitter through hash tags (also known as word of mouth) where users an discuss upcoming music and films gaining them more recognition. An example of this would be with the film 'The Purge' where the hash tag #survivethenight got trending which users spoke about what they'd do if the purge was real.
4. Convergence Theory - Henry Jenkins: This is a great FUTURE theory where people have been discussing that in the future there will be a black box in which ALL MEDIA can be accessed through, however, Henry Jenkins doesnt believe there will be one black box to access all media as he states media is everywhere and that old media doesnt die, it evolves into new media.
5. David Gauntlett's Theory: Part of David Gauntlett's theory states that Web 2.0 allows us to have our own identity where we have the power to create whatever we want. He states that Web 2.0 has enabled us to become online creators, an example of this would be YouTube or Vimeo.
Hope this has helped slightly! If you google these theorists you should get a brief over view of what they are about if I havent explained properly. Good luck for tomorrow!