Showing (2) + (x) is not a principal ideal in Z[x]

Watch
VincentCheung
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi there, I am struggling to understand this question and am unconvinced with my approach. So a principal ideal is one where each element can be written as a 'multiple' of the other.

So (2) + (x) = { a2 + bx | a , b Image[x] }, it seems too simple to just plug in values for a and b to get two elements of the ideal and then show they are not multiples of each other.. Also I am unsure on the second part of the question as
Image is not a field(i think).
Name:  Assignment 5 Q8.png
Views: 123
Size:  10.3 KB
Noble.
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Well the ideal generated by 2 and x is equivalent to \{2f(x) + x g(x) \ : \ f,g \in \mathbb{Z}[x] \}

The key thing to notice is that any polynomial in this ideal will have even constant term (because once you multiply g(x) by x, you no longer have a constant term and so the constant of any polynomial in the ideal comes from the 2f(x) which will clearly be even).

Now, suppose that this ideal is principal. So there exists some h(x) \in \mathbb{Z}[x] such that (2,x) = (h(x)). You quite quickly get a contradiction to this, suppose h(x) were a constant polynomial - what's wrong with this? Then suppose it's a non-constant polynomial of degree at least one - you fail to include which elements of (2,x)?

\mathbb{Z}[x] is not a field, it's a ring (because inverses to elements do not belong to the set). To show F[x_1,\ldots,x_n] is not a PID you want to use induction. You've already done the base step by showing (2,x) is not principal, you just need to adapt the argument slightly to do the inductive step.
VincentCheung
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Ah that makes sense, so assume Image is a constant polynomial is wrong because we have Image which has at least degree 1 so Image also does. So it's established that Image cannot be a constant polynomial. Then if Image is at least degree 1, I'm unsure how to explain it but say Image is equal to x + 2, then it is missing the x + 4 term?

For the second part, can I use the same ideal for Image since it is not the inverse elements that have determined the (2,x) is not principal. Then using induction, since the field in the first element is not a PID neither can any field in n elements?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you don't put your camera on in online lessons, why is that?

My teacher doesn't want us to (41)
18.22%
No one else does (73)
32.44%
I'm embarrassed about my background (23)
10.22%
I feel self-conscious showing my face (76)
33.78%
We don't use a video platform (3)
1.33%
I don't have a camera (4)
1.78%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (5)
2.22%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed