?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
this paper is quite hard for me. could you tell me how to answer each question
jessyjellytot14
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Question 1- Usually this just asks you what you understand about a text, for example, "What do you understand about *writer's name*'s experience in the text" or sometimes it asks you what you learn about their views on a certain topic. All you need to do is read the text (source 1) carefully and pick out some short quotations which tell you about the writer's experience or views etc. Then you just include these to help you back up your answer. A good way to start your answer is "From source 1, we learn that...." and then just write 3 or 4 p.e.e.l paragraphs based on what you learn. Make sure each paragraph is about a different thing you learn!

Question 2- For this one, you have to talk about the techniques the writer uses in the headline and how these link to parts of the text. You also need to talk about what the image shows, how this makes the reader respond and how this links to part of the text. However, don't talk about how the headline and the image link to each other, because this won't get you any marks. As before, it is beneficial to include short quotations from the text in your answer to back up the points that you make.

Question 3- Circle all the words and phrases in the text that indicate either a thought or a feeling that is expressed by the writer. Then just write 3 or 4 p.e.e.l paragraphs about how the writer's thoughts and feelings change or stay the same throughout the whole text (including quotations which you have already circled beforehand).

Question 4- This is the question i struggle with the most, and it is worth 16 marks so i guess it's important to know how to answer it. You basically have to analyse language techniques used by two of the writers in two of the sources and explain how these techniques affect the reader, why the writer may have used them and how they suite the purpose of the text. Be careful not to talk about structural techniques as this won't make you gain any marks. Language techniques include similes, metaphors, imagery, repetition, alliteration, hyperbole (extreme exaggeration), pathetic fallacy, onomatopoeia (a word that imitates a sound such as bang or crash), humour, sarcasm and pathos (language that evokes feelings of pity or sorrow).

Question 5 + 6- These are just creative writing tasks and it depends on your personal writing style on how you answer them but make sure your answers are engaging, humorous, and interesting. To get top marks, include ambiguous vocabulary, a wide range of punctuation and a variety of sentence and paragraph structures.

I hope I've helped and that this long answer didn't bore you to death
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (111)
59.68%
No (40)
21.51%
Not sure (35)
18.82%

Watched Threads