The Student Room Group

Stanford Application

Have had some thoughts recently about applying to a US university, but am none the wiser after reading the threads here and searching online. As mentioned in title am looking at Stanford. In the process of finishing my AS levels.

Some background:
IGCSE: 11A*s
A levels: Economics, Maths, AS Further maths, History, AS Spanish. (no idea what my predictions are but i would hope for at least A*AA in full a levels and AA in AS subjects)
Extra curricular: Have a wide range of activities (internships, charity work, music etc)

My questions:

- What SATS do I need to take?
- Can anyone given me a brief outline of the application process?
- Personal experience; is the whole US university process stressful and perhaps absurd given the standard of universities we have in the UK?
- Is the competition worth applying? I heard there is a 3-4% acceptance rate for International students.
- Is university life in the US more enjoyable? - a primary reason for my possible application, is that, I don't feel that I will enjoy myself hugely being at university in the UK. Being immersed in somewhere such as California really excites me, however perhaps I am overestimating it.

Thank you, and apologies for asking perhaps quite generic questions!
(edited 8 years ago)
- You'll take SAT I plus (I believe) 2 SAT IIs. Obviously confirm on their website to be sure

- Nothing "brief" about the application process. You have to establish your intentions to your head of year + two teachers (to write recommendations) literally in the first week of school because it's a very long and involved process

- Stressful in that there are a lot of moving parts to keep track of, and it's not one neat easy system like UCAS is. Perhaps absurd? Not particularly. Nothing absurd about making an interesting change in your life.

- IMO no. I'm almost certain the intl acceptance rate is lower than that, but if you really want to apply then go for it. I wouldn't advise having your heart set on it though because that will be inviting disappointment. Treat it like the possibility that it is, because being pleasantly surprised is far better than having your hopes crushed.

- Yes. University culture is completely different in the states to begin with, adding that to discovering a new country and seeing how different it is to Europe means the "fun factor" doesn't really compare

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending