The Student Room Group

Have you felt like you've done bad in an exam, but actually done well?

Scroll to see replies

Funny story... GCSEs, all the ones I felt like I did worst in, came out with As and A*s...

Came out of my 10h art exam thinking "wow, that felt great", sure I was on for an A and maybe even an A*!

Got a B...
Yeah.... This is going to be me on results day :stupido:
I was convinced I failed my Latin GCSE

Ended up with an A :biggrin:
GCSE English Language: I read the question wrong and wrote the whole thing from the wrong point of view. It was my first exam and honestly felt like giving up there and then. Ended up getting an A*. Even though I was in the bottom set. I think only like 10 people got A* in my year as well, so was especially pleased. Mwahaha, serves them right for putting me in the bottom set.

GCSE Double Science: I got 42% in a year 9 biology exam, so was told i couldn't do triple science and was once again put in set 7. Exams came around, chemistry felt like it had gone ok but when I came out all the clever people were talking about all their answers on the calculations at the end. Nothing matched with what I had written.....then my physics and biology exams came around. Biology was hard, but during the physics exam I was trying to work out how I would get out of the exam hall with my paper so it was never marked, thats how bad i found it. Ended up getting the second highest chemistry score in the year, the teacher showed me the graph they plotted, score in the chemistry exam against set. Needless to say there was a rather large anomaly on the graph (my result). I ended up getting 40 marks over the A*A* grade boundary in the end from all 3 exams.

GCSE History: We had to do an exam called the British depth study, it was horrible, all based around the events of 1 day. The two things we were told was 'don't run out of time for the last question' and 'its 95% about technique not what you know'. Inevitably i ran out of time for the last, 15 mark question where we had to comment on about 8 sources. I ended up writing a single line on each source in the last 5 mins and wrote some stupid conclusion. I came out thinking I would be luck to get a B overall. Well results day comes around and I had full UMS in both my history exams and only lost marks on my coursework, i think I got 98% overall, no idea how.

GCSE Spanish: The listening was painful. I had just finished a 2:15 min english exam and was on a post exam high, while being held in isolation with my friends. I had done next to no spanish revision and couldn't bring myself to revise in the 2 hours in isolation we had. When I was walking in it suddenly dawned on me that I had done no revision. I guessed my way through the listening and came out gutted. We then had to go straight back in for the reading and writing. Disaster struck, I had no idea how to the very first question. You know the ones at the beginning of language exams that are designed for E grade candidates. e.g. A picture of a salad and then you match it up to a word saying ensalada. Results day came and I had got an A*. Still no idea how. Must have been a good guesser, or maybe they took pity on me after i got question 1 wrong.

So overall after being almost ignored by my school for years and being in a low set for almost everything, i ended up with straight A*'s. I wasn't expecting it at all and I don't think the school were either.

Hopefully this happens again, as I'm finding literally all of my AS exams horrible.
Reply 24
Original post by TheNervousWreck
GCSE English Language: I read the question wrong and wrote the whole thing from the wrong point of view. It was my first exam and honestly felt like giving up there and then. Ended up getting an A*. Even though I was in the bottom set. I think only like 10 people got A* in my year as well, so was especially pleased. Mwahaha, serves them right for putting me in the bottom set.

GCSE Double Science: I got 42% in a year 9 biology exam, so was told i couldn't do triple science and was once again put in set 7. Exams came around, chemistry felt like it had gone ok but when I came out all the clever people were talking about all their answers on the calculations at the end. Nothing matched with what I had written.....then my physics and biology exams came around. Biology was hard, but during the physics exam I was trying to work out how I would get out of the exam hall with my paper so it was never marked, thats how bad i found it. Ended up getting the second highest chemistry score in the year, the teacher showed me the graph they plotted, score in the chemistry exam against set. Needless to say there was a rather large anomaly on the graph (my result). I ended up getting 40 marks over the A*A* grade boundary in the end from all 3 exams.

GCSE History: We had to do an exam called the British depth study, it was horrible, all based around the events of 1 day. The two things we were told was 'don't run out of time for the last question' and 'its 95% about technique not what you know'. Inevitably i ran out of time for the last, 15 mark question where we had to comment on about 8 sources. I ended up writing a single line on each source in the last 5 mins and wrote some stupid conclusion. I came out thinking I would be luck to get a B overall. Well results day comes around and I had full UMS in both my history exams and only lost marks on my coursework, i think I got 98% overall, no idea how.

GCSE Spanish: The listening was painful. I had just finished a 2:15 min english exam and was on a post exam high, while being held in isolation with my friends. I had done next to no spanish revision and couldn't bring myself to revise in the 2 hours in isolation we had. When I was walking in it suddenly dawned on me that I had done no revision. I guessed my way through the listening and came out gutted. We then had to go straight back in for the reading and writing. Disaster struck, I had no idea how to the very first question. You know the ones at the beginning of language exams that are designed for E grade candidates. e.g. A picture of a salad and then you match it up to a word saying ensalada. Results day came and I had got an A*. Still no idea how. Must have been a good guesser, or maybe they took pity on me after i got question 1 wrong.

So overall after being almost ignored by my school for years and being in a low set for almost everything, i ended up with straight A*'s. I wasn't expecting it at all and I don't think the school were either.

Hopefully this happens again, as I'm finding literally all of my AS exams horrible.

Brilliant and well done! Bloody schools and lower sets! I was in the bottom set, set 4, all through schoil due to my autism. Had teachers tell me i would never pass, i was a waste of space ect. My grades wernt great but i past 7C and 1 B. Came to coll and found out im highly dyslexic and have maths dyslexia, got a C in maths!! My mother kept tellung them to test me but our special ed teacher was also my english teacher who said no way was i dyslexic just bit slow and as my iq is on the lower end of average i wont pass anything and i have no right to think of doing A levels! Proved that bitch wrong! I have just sat AS geog, geol and religion and they went great and so far im getting a distinction in welshbacc btec!
Original post by mjrd
Brilliant and well done! Bloody schools and lower sets! I was in the bottom set, set 4, all through schoil due to my autism. Had teachers tell me i would never pass, i was a waste of space ect. My grades wernt great but i past 7C and 1 B. Came to coll and found out im highly dyslexic and have maths dyslexia, got a C in maths!! My mother kept tellung them to test me but our special ed teacher was also my english teacher who said no way was i dyslexic just bit slow and as my iq is on the lower end of average i wont pass anything and i have no right to think of doing A levels! Proved that bitch wrong! I have just sat AS geog, geol and religion and they went great and so far im getting a distinction in welshbacc btec!

Your grades are great, especially with everything you have to deal with. You are way above average even for people without any learning difficulties. Have you gone back to laugh in that teachers face yet?
Reply 26
Original post by TheNervousWreck
Your grades are great, especially with everything you have to deal with. You are way above average even for people without any learning difficulties. Have you gone back to laugh in that teachers face yet?

Oh yes, my brother is still in the school so i enjoy parents eve lol. They had the cheek to try to take credit for my grades! I told them it was my and my mums determination that got me through not them, i had no help or support of them! Thier faces were a picture lOl.
Original post by Junioh
Really hope this happens with all my subjects this year -.-!

Same:redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
i felt like that with my geography gcse haha
Reply 29
Thought I had messed up a biology A level exam, turned out I had full UMS :tongue:
In my English Lit GCSE, I couldn't answer the questions on Heroes - I hated the book and the questions were rubbish. Instead, I elected to answer it on Never Let Me Go, a book I hadn't read in 18 months and accidentally got one of the main character's names wrong. The whole exam was a disaster, but I ended up with the B I was hoping for :biggrin:
I really struggled with my GCSE French Listening exam I thought that I had got hardly any of the written 8 marks on the paper right I suppose I probably thought I had an A/B but the grade boundaries dropped significantly so that full ums was 28/40 I think and I got full UMS.It was a good lesson that how well you do is as reliant on your performance as it is the grade boundaries and chances are if you've found it hard it was a hard paper and the rest of the country found it hard.

Quick Reply

Latest