The Student Room Group

Edexcel GCSE History B - Crime and Punishment - Mon 1st June 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by vivalastudent
This year, the course has changed, so on tomorrow's paper we will have two 8 markers, a 6 marker, a 12 marker and a 16 marker which also has 3 additional marks available for SPaG. This still adds up to 50 marks in total. (+ the 3 for SPaG!)

How long you spend on a question depends on how much you write. Let the booklet guide you - they'll give you enough space to write a long enough answer! Try to spend the longest on the 16 marker though, because this is worth the extra marks for your spelling. Make sure you check it through at the end.

You'll need a conclusion in the 12 and 16 mark questions, but they wouldn't go amiss in the 8 markers either; it just depends on how you are doing for time.

Hope that helped! Good luck!! :smile:

Thank you :h: yes i did help, good luck to you too!!
I'm stressing out I'm doing the exam tomorrow as well! And I feel so unprepared. Does anyone have a list of dates or like a timeline? And also when does the medieval period start? & so, where do the Tudors come in?
Original post by science_geeks
I'm stressing out I'm doing the exam tomorrow as well! And I feel so unprepared. Does anyone have a list of dates or like a timeline? And also when does the medieval period start? & so, where do the Tudors come in?

Same here! can anyone help?
image.jpg

I have this if it helps, dont worry im sure you will do fine

Romans Ad43 - AD410
Saxons 410-1066
Norman conquest 1066
Middle Ages 1066-1450
Tudors 1485-

Exam questions will probably use 1450 as date for end of Middle Ages
Original post by samuddin1999
image.jpg

I have this if it helps, dont worry im sure you will do fine

Yeah, it does thanks! 😊😊
Original post by racingfred
Romans Ad43 - AD410
Saxons 410-1066
Norman conquest 1066
Middle Ages 1066-1450
Tudors 1485-

Exam questions will probably use 1450 as date for end of Middle Ages

Thanks that's perfect! So if they ask about changes in law and order from 410 till 1450 would that mean till the Middle Ages? And also what about the Henry VII period what's that called and what time is that from?
Original post by vivalastudent
This year, the course has changed, so on tomorrow's paper we will have two 8 markers, a 6 marker, a 12 marker and a 16 marker which also has 3 additional marks available for SPaG. This still adds up to 50 marks in total. (+ the 3 for SPaG!)

How long you spend on a question depends on how much you write. Let the booklet guide you - they'll give you enough space to write a long enough answer! Try to spend the longest on the 16 marker though, because this is worth the extra marks for your spelling. Make sure you check it through at the end.

You'll need a conclusion in the 12 and 16 mark questions, but they wouldn't go amiss in the 8 markers either; it just depends on how you are doing for time.

Hope that helped! Good luck!! :smile:

Hey, I am also doing this exam tomorrow. My teacher would recommend multiplying each mark, excluding SPAG, with 1.5 and that's the amount of time you should spend on each questions.

8 marks = 12 min
8 marks = 12 min
6 marks = 9 min
12 marks = 18 min
16 marks = 24 min

50 marks = 75 min = 1.5 hours

Hopes this helps
xx
Thanks that's perfect! So if they ask about changes in law and order from 410 till 1450 would that mean till the Middle Ages? And also what about the Henry VII period what's that called and what time is that from?

410 - 1450 would require you to talk about Saxon, Normans and Middle Ages.
Henry VII was the first Tudor King, who came to power in 1485
Which questions would be a describe and explain and which would be inference? And Is the last one always argue or agree or disagree?

Original post by germanshepherd_
Hey, I am also doing this exam tomorrow. My teacher would recommend multiplying each mark, excluding SPAG, with 1.5 and that's the amount of time you should spend on each questions.

8 marks = 12 min
8 marks = 12 min
6 marks = 9 min
12 marks = 18 min
16 marks = 24 min

50 marks = 75 min = 1.5 hours

Hopes this helps
xx
Oh ok, sorry history really isn't my speciality!
410 - 1450 would require you to talk about Saxon, Normans and Middle Ages.
Henry VII was the first Tudor King, who came to power in 1485
Oh ok, sorry history really isn't my speciality!

No worries. I'm pretty good at general knowledge history, that seems to be bugger all help in exams though:/
Reply 72
can someone please help
what was there before policing came
Which questions would be a describe and explain and which would be inference? And Is the last one always argue or agree or disagree?

Q1 - What can you learn from sources A and B about changes~?
Q2 - Choose 1 and describe.......
Q3 - How useful is this document to a historian who is investigating...
Q4/5 - EXPLAIN
Q6/7 - To what extent...
(edited 8 years ago)
No worries. I'm pretty good at general knowledge history, that seems to be bugger all help in exams though:/

Bless, that's still pretty good- I have a memory problem! I can't remember things to save my life- it's horrible!
Original post by germanshepherd_
Q1 - What can you learn from sources A and B about changes~?
Q2 - Choose 1 and describe.......
Q3 - How useful is this document to a historian who is investigating...
Q4/5 - EXPLAIN
Q6/7 - To what extent...

Thanks, so that's for the exam structure on Monday? How would you answer the question how useful to a historians?
Original post by ie4ur
can someone please help
what was there before policing came

In the 18th century and Industrial era-
Bow street runners and horse patrol set up by the Fielding brothers in 1749 and 1763 respectively.
The yeomanry (army)
Parish Constables.
Thief takers.
The Watch.
Thames river police.

And before the 18the century and Industrial era-
Vigiles and Aediles (Roman)
Forrest officials (Norman)
Shire reeves and Parish constables have been used since at least the middle ages until the at least the Industrial era

The point is policing is a relatively modern or new method of law enforcement and there have been many other methods since the Romans; some with great success, like the Bow street runners, and others with limitations like Thief takers (jonathan wild).
(edited 8 years ago)
COP
- context
- origin
- purpose

So discuss all these points; use your own knowledge
Think about provenance --> how can this affect reliability
How valuable is this soure - like really takie it apart. Do you also do Protest~? Think how you would analyse sources given to you.

Also CLION - Context/Content, Language, I forgot I, O - origin, N- nature
does anyone know whats likely to come up in the crime and punishment exam tomorrow
what were prisons like ?

Quick Reply

Latest