The Student Room Group

Should We Restore The Iranian Monarchy?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The Dictator
Ad hominems don't help your argument.

Neither does blatant hypocrisy help yours, you just said the actions of your ancestors should have no affect on your life, yet a few posts ago you condemned a country of 80 million people to an invasion because of what their fathers and mothers did. #omg #ijustspokelatin #imsuchgooddebater
Original post by TheTruthTeller
You are so ignorant. Is turkey a muslim country? 99 percent of turks are muslim. more than iranians. Azerrbaijan. Kurdistan? Stop kidding yourself.

You really think Iran can be like turkey? I'm not seeing any improvements tbh. Can't wait for another summer holiday surrounded by family I don't really care about, ****ty internet and half of the sites blocked.
I don't define myself by my colour. Whatever happened to my ancestors has nothing to do with the present, and does not limit what I can attain for myself in the future.

At least now we are safe in free, non-racist Britain, unlike the Middle East, which is extremely racist and has enslaved more blacks than whites ever did. Blacks are still racially abused in the Middle East. I feel quite safe here to be honest.

I do not have an inferiority complex to anyone. I believe in cultural, not racial, superiority.

I support the British Empire because if it wasn't for Britain I would still be living as a savage in some far-flung village in West Africa, and would have had very little chance of becoming the great person I will be.

Hahaha you are so mislead. Africa had empires and the richest man in the world (mansa musa). You were coloanised by the europeans and made to become these unedcated, tribal people. If you were not you would have advanced more than any civillisation on earth.
Original post by BioStudentx
You really think Iran can be like turkey? I'm not seeing any improvements tbh. Can't wait for another summer holiday surrounded by family I don't really care about, ****ty internet and half of the sites blocked.

Iran can be better than turkey. I've been to turkey- what's their industry nothing. We've got the oil, the tourism, - We can be BETTER than Turkey. Turks were living under shariah guided ottoman empire until NATIONALISM brought them together. Iranians we can agree are very natioanlist. We must unite under this umbrella to bring about change. We don't need the same westerners who have caused our country to come to such a situation to "help" us by bombing our nation.
Yes. I go to Iran at least once a year - every year. I'm not too sure if invasion is the right answer but the best thing for Iran is a dictatorship like the Shah. Democracy won't work in a country like Iran full of backward Muslims who want to enforce Sharia law. But Iran shouldn't have nuclear weapons.

Now I think you're trolling. When you went to speak to normal Iranians did they all profess a loving of the stoning and slow hanging punishments in Iran, which are Shariah sponsored? Most are Muslim, yes but so are Indonesia, Turkey and Malaysia. I deeply hate Islam but Iran is a Muslim country, deal with it. It's easy to sit here in your nice first world British free society and look down on religious Iranians or indeed the average moderate. You're painting a picture of your own country like it's a country full of ISIS supporters.
Iran can be better than turkey. I've been to turkey- what's their industry nothing. We've got the oil, the tourism, - We can be BETTER than Turkey. Turks were living under shariah guided ottoman empire until NATIONALISM brought them together. Iranians we can agree are very natioanlist. We must unite under this umbrella to bring about change. We don't need the same westerners who have caused our country to come to such a situation to "help" us by bombing our nation.

We don't have as much tourism as Turkey. And what goods the oil when we're selling it for dirt cheap because we're sanctioned and the money is being wasted anyway. Oil doesn't last forever (although we do have a lot).
Original post by I Persia I
Now I think you're trolling. When you went to speak to normal Iranians did they all profess a loving of the stoning and slow hanging punishments in Iran, which are Shariah sponsored? Most are Muslim, yes but so are Indonesia, Turkey and Malaysia. I deeply hate Islam but Iran is a Muslim country, deal with it. It's easy to sit here in your nice first world British free society and look down on religious Iranians or indeed the average moderate. You're painting a picture of your own country like it's a country full of ISIS supporters.

I avoid topics like that in Iran because I don't really want my family to know I converted out of Islam. Soz for not being so nationalistic that im blinded - that means I'm a troll.
We don't have as much tourism as Turkey. And what goods the oil when we're selling it for dirt cheap because we're sanctioned and the money is being wasted anyway. Oil doesn't last forever (although we do have a lot).

We don't have that much tourism yet, but we have the potential to have alot. I've seen the spectacular sites of Persepollis which make me proud of my heritage. The oil can last a while longer. Yes and guess who the sanctions affect? Government? No azizam, its ordinary working iranians who dont give a **** about shariah law but just try and live their lives to themselves. You also know who the sanctions benefit? The regime...
I avoid topics like that in Iran because I don't really want my family to know I converted out of Islam. Soz for not being so nationalistic that im blinded - that means I'm a troll.

Many iranians I know are athiests like the persian guy that just responded. So? Do you think being muslim correlates to loving iran? We want democracy in iran and love it and are not stupid enough to repeat errors of the past. So take your iran hating sentiment and hatred for your iranian family out of iran. If you don't like iran don't go there, but certainly don't have the audacity to advocate its bombing. Viva Iran.

Neither do I, I'm probably more fervent of an atheist than you are, yet the fact that you don't see potential in Iran disappoints me. I would elaborate but I cannot be bothered because you're so wallowed in a mix of self-hate (you're unhappy with the connotations of being Iranian in a European country) and condescending attitude towards Iranians in Iran. Do you not think there are millions who have turned away from God but won't admit it, who would living somewhere like Iran. The solution is not a quick implementation of western style democracy, it won't work, Iran needs gradual progress and with generational change it will happen, I wish it would happen sooner but you can't write off a whole country coz they believe in God and you don't lol.
Believing in sharia law doesn't make you a Muslim radical - it makes you a Muslim. Again, almost everyone in Iran is a Muslim so a democracy wouldn't work - it would just result in Sharia law. Iranians aren't intelligent enough to know what is best for them so totalitarianism is the way forward.

So to fight the totalitarian nature of sharia law you must create a totalitarian government? How does that work? Eitehr way you got a totalitarian rule. May as well at least try and make democracy work.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Rakas21
Probably not.

While Iran is a country which requires western occupation, i think the monarchy has been gone too long.

Iran is not Afghanistan [what a great job Western Powers did there].

As far as i'm aware its economy survived decades of sanctions until recently. Iranians are very good at making money. Don't believe me just have a look at where the Iranian community settled in London...

My Mum is also Pro Shah and talks about how much he loved his people but really from what I understand he also used all kinds of dictatorial tools to persecute those against his regime, even if he was doing it for altruistic reasons it's simply not acceptable behavior.

Their have been numerous unsuccessful uprisings since the Islamic Revolution but
Iran has a repetitive history of being stabbed in the back and treated dishonestly by the West and Iranian people are very wary of Western Powers which can be unifying factor for the current regime.

Iran is a prime candidate for a Turkish style secular state, because despite it's current state it was and still is quite Westernized in some ways. Iranian people I have met have been more secular and less religious then their pakistani/arab counterparts [I have family from both places]. Then again it could be Iranians in exile who i have met have become cynical of religion because of the Islamic Revolution? But the way my Mum explains it is that Iranians in there attitude were always very secular towards religion before the revolution.

Turkey was lucky that during its modern formation all Imams and clerics were banished in order to maintain its secular leanings.

If we dealt with these clerics and imams a lot of these country would take an instant step from the dark ages towards enlightenment.

Tbh the climate of Iran [in general not necessarily currently] is one of religious conservatism vs secular liberalism which is not unlike America. Unfortunately Iran is more vulnerable to these influences then America will ever be.
Democracy will not work with the savage mindset of Iranians.

How about your African people? Your very developed aren't you?

Guys... Keep it civil pls. :smile:
Yeah mate go to Israel the civilised middle eastern state. I'm sure they won't kick you out like your Ethiopian counter parts.

You seem to be confused. Israel spent millions and launched two major airlift operations to bring almost every Ethiopian Jew to Israel.
Many iranians I know are athiests like the persian guy that just responded. So? Do you think being muslim correlates to loving iran? We want democracy in iran and love it and are not stupid enough to repeat errors of the past. So take your iran hating sentiment and hatred for your iranian family out of iran. If you don't like iran don't go there, but certainly don't have the audacity to advocate its bombing. Viva Iran.

I never advocated it's bombing or invasion. I simply stated it's not capable of democracy. As far as I'm considered Iranians are getting what they deserve in Iran.

Original post by ChaoticButterfly
So to fight the totalitarian nature of sharia law you must create a totalitarian government? How does that work? Eitehr way you got a totalitarian rule. May as well at least try and make democracy work.

If everyone votes for sharia law it's no longer totalitarian.
Original post by I Persia I
Neither do I, I'm probably more fervent of an atheist than you are, yet the fact that you don't see potential in Iran disappoints me. I would elaborate but I cannot be bothered because you're so wallowed in a mix of self-hate (you're unhappy with the connotations of being Iranian in a European country) and condescending attitude towards Iranians in Iran. Do you not think there are millions who have turned away from God but won't admit it, who would living somewhere like Iran. The solution is not a quick implementation of western style democracy, it won't work, Iran needs gradual progress and with generational change it will happen, I wish it would happen sooner but you can't write off a whole country coz they believe in God and you don't lol.

I have no problem being Iranian in an European country and i'm not "wallowed in self-hate".
Original post by eskimo_rising
Iran is not Afghanistan [what a great job Western Powers did there].

As far as i'm aware its economy survived decades of sanctions until recently. Iranians are very good at making money. Don't believe me just have a look at where the Iranian community settled in London...

My Mum is also Pro Shah and talks about how much he loved his people but really from what I understand he also used all kinds of dictatorial tools to persecute those against his regime, even if he was doing it for altruistic reasons it's simply not acceptable behavior.

Their have been numerous unsuccessful uprisings since the Islamic Revolution but
Iran has a repetitive history of being stabbed in the back and treated dishonestly by the West and Iranian people are very wary of Western Powers which can be unifying factor for the current regime.

Iran is a prime candidate for a Turkish style secular state, because despite it's current state it was and still is quite Westernized in some ways. Iranian people I have met have been more secular and less religious then their pakistani/arab counterparts [I have family from both places]. Then again it could be Iranians in exile who i have met have become cynical of religion because of the Islamic Revolution? But the way my Mum explains it is that Iranians in there attitude were always very secular towards religion before the revolution.

Turkey was lucky that during its modern formation all Imams and clerics were banished in order to maintain its secular leanings.

If we dealt with these clerics and imams a lot of these country would take an instant step from the dark ages towards enlightenment.

Tbh the climate of Iran [in general not necessarily currently] is one of religious conservatism vs secular liberalism which is not unlike America. Unfortunately Iran is more vulnerable to these influences then America will ever be.

Iran lost 20 years of prosperity because of it's revolution, as a major oil power that is a travesty.

While you make some valid points, over the years i've developed so little faith in the Middle East that i believe many countries would be better off with their governments permanently removed and ruled by the west. Western law, western education, western health, western police. I just don't believe many of these countries are capable of democratic self governance.
Original post by AdvanceAndVanquish
You seem to be confused. Israel spent millions and launched two major airlift operations to bring almost every Ethiopian Jew to Israel.

I was referring go to the recent protests by Ethiopian Jews about their treatment. Anyways them point I was trying to make is that flaws exist in all countries.
Original post by Rakas21
Iran lost 20 years of prosperity because of it's revolution, as a major oil power that is a travesty.

While you make some valid points, over the years i've developed so little faith in the Middle East that i believe many countries would be better off with their governments permanently removed and ruled by the west. Western law, western education, western health, western police. I just don't believe many of these countries are capable of democratic self governance.

Western style imposed democracy will never work in the me unless the people themselves bring it about. As I've said earlier the same west you are talking about overthrew irans democratically elected President in 1954 and replaced him with a dictator. Change can only happen when the majority of them people demand it and act themselves. Democracy works in Lebanon, tunisia,Kurdistan,, eygpt
Western style imposed democracy will never work in the me unless the people themselves bring it about. As I've said earlier the same west you are talking about overthrew irans democratically elected President in 1954 and replaced him with a dictator. Change can only happen when the majority of them people demand it and act themselves. Democracy works in Lebanon, tunisia,Kurdistan,, eygpt

It would if we conquered and occupied them permanently - of course, we lack the resolve to do so and imperialism is out of fashion.

Lebanon has terrorists in the government and a forced power share. It's stable for the moment i'll grant you.
Egypt has given the boot to the Muslim brotherhood so it's not a proper democracy.. however, that's not a bad thing.
The Kurds have one region of a state protected by the US and have a branch in Turkey committing terrorist acts. Good people i think but like Egypt and Lebanon i'm wary.
Tunisia (and Morocco to a lesser degree) are the 2 Muslim countries which give me hope for a better world but it's worth noting that like Turkey, both of these have historically wanted closer ties with Europe than any of their fellow Muslims. Not a bad thing per say (i imagine in 2050 the EU will breach North Africa) but a reflection perhaps that maybe they feel more European than traditionally Muslim (i could be wrong, never been there).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending