Stacey-Claire
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hey there,

So I'm just wondering if there are any current students at Bath Spa studying the Philosophy &Ethics course combined with Psychology who could give me a clearer idea what to expect of the course as unfortunately I broke my ankle and having been able to get down to the open days.

Any general guidance in regards to Bath Spa Uni would be really appreciated

Thank you
Stacey
random101010101
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi Stacey,

The philosophy course is really good- but it is quite different to comparable departments (though in the long run I think this is a good thing- if you continue in philosophy you'll approach the subject from a unique perspective. Though you would have some catching up to do to get engaged in contemporary debates.) The departments focus is primarily on eastern philosophies, theology, and some aspects western philosophy (existentialism, environmental philosophy, feminist philosophy & a broader account of the history of western philosophy- the staff are generally more receptive to continental philosophers.) You won't do any work on logic, and very little on contemporary topics in epistemology, philosophy of language & metaphysics.

The staff are great (academically & personally), and area is lovely.

So as a general summary: great course, I think. With quite a unique benefit of learning philosophy in a global context. But you won't get comparable exposure to contemporary analytic philosophy as you might on the majority of other courses.

Good luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Wed, 11 Dec '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 11 Dec '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 11 Dec '19

Do you work while at uni?