The Student Room Group

AQA english language q2

I am doing my aqa english language exam in june, so i would be so grateful if you can mark this . THanks so much http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-ENG1H-INS-NOV14.PDFNow read Source 2,‘Island children bask in the glow of a virtual classroom, miles from everyone’ by LindsayMcIntosh. 2 Explain how the headline and picture are effective and how they link to the text.[8 marks]

The headline is effective as it mentions ‘a virtual classroom’. This intrigues the readers because the word ‘virtual’ suggests that the children are not in reality. But instead, theyare in a ‘classroom’ that has been designed artificially, which sounds very fascinating and unbelievable. This links to the text ‘a beautiful, barren Western Isle landscape’ as it explains that the ‘virtual classroom’ is in fact a metaphor to describe how impressive the scene is.

The headline is also effective in another way as it mentions that the children are ‘miles from everyone’, which is effective because it is rather unusual that children are studying this far from their hometown. Readers would wonder why children are studying this far and what is the purpose of it as children normally go to school near their home. This links to the text ‘an experiment in virtual learning’ because it explains why children are studying this far: it is an experiment that will affect how children will learn in the future.

The picture is effective because the background is blurred but it looks rather tranquil, which suggests that it is a very good place to study as there is no distraction. This links to the text ‘classroom to beyond building’ as it suggests that there are other places that children can learn in, not just in buildings.

The picture is also effective in another way as the children stand out because of the blurred background. The children look very engrossed in learning as both of them keep their eyes on the laptop screen. Consequently, this suggests that children can learn very well in places like Western Isle. This links to the text ‘other types of school doing the same type of work’ as it explains that it is a place that is suitable for learning and they are ‘no different’.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Easily 8/8, and the particularly good thing is that you do not 'waffle' and constantly refer to the question, while being extremely concise.

Writing so much within the given time may be difficult, but this type of succinct answer will make it easier.

Although it may not necessarily apply to this source, you can also refer to colour and lighting in other sources, to highlight a section of the image (although the blurred background does emphasize this anyway).
Reply 2
Original post by SkyJP
Easily 8/8, and the particularly good thing is that you do not 'waffle' and constantly refer to the question, while being extremely concise.

Writing so much within the given time may be difficult, but this type of succinct answer will make it easier.

Although it may not necessarily apply to this source, you can also refer to colour and lighting in other sources, to highlight a section of the image (although the blurred background does emphasize this anyway).

Okay thanks for the feedback. Do you think I could have written less then? Also, are you sure this is 8 out of 8 because personally i think this would only be a 6 max....
Reply 3
On this article it is an 8, but in other articles it may be lower, as examiners like looking for answers that don't always involve these of language in the headline, i.e the use of punctuation for effect, which would secure the 8 marks if you wrote about that as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by SkyJP
On this article it is an 8, but in other articles it may be lower, as examiners like looking for answers that don't always involve these of language in the headline, i.e the use of punctuation for effect, which would secure the 8 marks if you wrote about that as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile

But i thought you focus on the language for this question, which is similar to q4 and my teacher told me to analyse language, not punctuation...
Reply 5
Original post by Sunnydaysy
But i thought you focus on the language for this question, which is similar to q4 and my teacher told me to analyse language, not punctuation...

I guess we're being taught differently though, but in the instance where they ask you to explain how the headline is effective, I'd assume they're talking about the whole headline, including language and punctuation, as it must have been purposefully written that way. This is only for question 2 though.

For instance, in this article, you could say how the comma creates a division in the headline, which isolates 'miles from everyone' from the rest of the headline, thus emphasizing the separation of the students, and in the text it says.....

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending