Eurovision 2016 - Australia? Watch

Poll: Should Australia compete in Eurovision?
Yes (3)
30%
No (7)
70%
SotonianOne
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I think Australia has performed really well as what was meant to be rather a test. Coming 5th as a debuting country half a world away? Come on, it must mean most people like it.

Do you think Australia should return next year?
gabzy
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
EUROvision, not worldvision so no

Posted from TSR Mobile
Molly_xox
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by gabzy)
EUROvision, not worldvision so no

Posted from TSR Mobile
That doesn't stop Israel, Azerbaijan, Turkey, Georgia, Armenia...
AdamCee
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Nope, to put it simply
k4l397
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Well I'm not against them being in it to the degree that I'd actually be that bothered but I don't see how a country not politically or geographically part of Europe can compete in EUROvision. Oh well anyway, they might actually give us some points in the future unlike the rest of the countries.
whorace
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Molly_xox)
Well to be fair Israeli is pretty much the homeland of Christianity and was built on European principles, Georgia is in Europe, Azerbaijan is partly in Europe, Turkey wants to join the EU and is close to the Greek border (+ it formerly occupied Greece so it is quite Europeanise). Isn't Armenia to the East of Turkey? And it shares a border with Georgia so nah not that odd.
whorace
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by k4l397)
Well I'm not against them being in it to the degree that I'd actually be that bothered but I don't see how a country not politically or geographically part of Europe can compete in EUROvision. Oh well anyway, they might actually give us some points in the future unlike the rest of the countries.
Because European is not a national ideal but an ethnic / cultural one, and the Australians are as European as any of us.
AdvanceAndVanquish
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Molly_xox)
Eurovision is not actually the song contest 'of Europe'. It's the song contest of the European Broadcasting Union, an actual organisation of which the above are all full members.
A5ko
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
The more the merrier. Eurovision isn't a serious competition anyway so what does it matter who's in it.

I find it difficult to watch sometimes, mainly because the UK does a fantastic job of embarrassing the **** out of us.
a.brown
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It's funny that most musicians sing in our native language (English) and they don't want us in again because we are far!!!!!!!Guy Sebastian did well enough this year and I think we shall not participate next year, enough is enough.
a.brown
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It's funny that most musicians sing in our native language (English) and they don't want us in again because we are far!!!!!!!
Guy Sebastian did well enough this year and I think we shall not participate next year, enough is enough.
k4l397
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by whorace)
Because European is not a national ideal but an ethnic / cultural one, and the Australians are as European as any of us.
I just think it's a bit debatable. Doesn't bother me that much anyway - isn't affecting my life, if anything makes the competition a bit more interesting.
yabbayabba
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
By that logic so is the whole of North and South America. You could also include Africa as they were colonised by the French and British. Heck, why not India too!

Eurovision was set up as a way to culturally bring nations together after WW2; it has nothing to do with Australia.

Posted from TSR Mobile
whorace
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by yabbayabba)
By that logic so is the whole of North and South America. You could also include Africa as they were colonised by the French and British. Heck, why not India too!

Eurovision was set up as a way to culturally bring nations together after WW2; it has nothing to do with Australia.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ok but that’s a complete exaggeration, Australia fought as part of the empire in WW2, there's arguably a case for India and Canada but no more.
Asolare
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
For crying out loud just let them enter, some of you are getting so uppity when a few of the countries aren't actually in Europe itself.
yabbayabba
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Ok but that’s a complete exaggeration, Australia fought as part of the empire in WW2, there's arguably a case for India and Canada but no more.
Why not? Lots of colonised Africans fought as part of the Empire in WW2 as well. North and South America have cultures and languages from Europe and people who are ethnically European, surely they should be in Eurovision too lol.

Just in case you've not realised I don't agree that Australia or any other country should be in Eurovision, as your logic for letting them enter makes no sense.

Posted from TSR Mobile
whorace
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by yabbayabba)
Why not? Lots of colonised Africans fought as part of the Empire in WW2 as well. North and South America have cultures and languages from Europe and people who are ethnically European, surely they should be in Eurovision too lol.

Just in case you've not realised I don't agree that Australia or any other country should be in Eurovision, as your logic for letting them enter makes no sense.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lol i'm just winding you up.
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
why not allow Martians ? :mob:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Is the plastic tax enough to protect the environment?

Yes (14)
5.93%
No (222)
94.07%

Watched Threads