What do January exams for GCSEs mean? For sciene/biology? What are they help me quick Watch

Pinkpearl14
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi there.

So I'm revising really REALLY real hard for my upcoming core science exams for chem bio and physics...

Okay so I was just printing tons of exam papers

And I came across January for exam papers before June 2013 (ie. January 2013 just after June 2012)

And I was wondering what does that mean? Are they part mock papers especially made because I thought all mocks are past papers?

Do they have GCSEs in January? I though it's only June?

But I saw there no January ones after that? Why?

Is it because the GCSEs have changed?

And are the January ones the same topics for B1 (unit 1s in other sciences too - chem and physics) or no?

Should I print them out or will it be a waste of time and ink?

Please help me! Are they proper June type GCSEs too?

Aren't June the only final exam period?

Why January exams? What should I do? I'm stuck! I don't want to put in too much effort which isn't even a valid paper but just a easy practice one? I want real June type final stuff! I've got June but then more papers the better right? Help me NOW! Thanks!
undine_monty
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Pinkpearl14)
Hi there.

So I'm revising really REALLY real hard for my upcoming core science exams for chem bio and physics...

Okay so I was just printing tons of exam papers

And I came across January for exam papers before June 2013 (ie. January 2013 just after June 2012)

And I was wondering what does that mean? Are they part mock papers especially made because I thought all mocks are past papers?

Do they have GCSEs in January? I though it's only June?

But I saw there no January ones after that? Why?

Is it because the GCSEs have changed?

And are the January ones the same topics for B1 (unit 1s in other sciences too - chem and physics) or no?

Should I print them out or will it be a waste of time and ink?

Please help me! Are they proper June type GCSEs too?

Aren't June the only final exam period?

Why January exams? What should I do? I'm stuck! I don't want to put in too much effort which isn't even a valid paper but just a easy practice one? I want real June type final stuff! I've got June but then more papers the better right? Help me NOW! Thanks!
2013 was the last year for January exams. They are the same topics just different questions to the ones later in June.

You can still do those past papers. Good luck on our exams
Pinkpearl14
Rep:
?
(Original post by undine_monty)
2013 was the last year for January exams. They are the same topics just different questions to the ones later in June.

You can still do those past papers. Good luck on our exams
So they're pretty much the same material as June papers and nothing different right?

Are January just resit exams for those people who failed in the previous June? Different questions that time though? But same types?

It's sad they don't do resist no more. And whatever we do now goes on our final certificate.

Thanks a lot! Same to you good luck hope you do really well! Thanks for helping me Hun!

Yep I'll do them cuz I'm addicted to biology revision right now! Sounds pretty nerdy but yeah! Haha!
undine_monty
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Pinkpearl14)
So they're pretty much the same material as June papers and nothing different right?

Are January just resit exams for those people who failed in the previous June? Different questions that time though? But same types?

It's sad they don't do resist no more. And whatever we do now goes on our final certificate.

Thanks a lot! Same to you good luck hope you do really well! Thanks for helping me Hun!

Yep I'll do them cuz I'm addicted to biology revision right now! Sounds pretty nerdy but yeah! Haha!
The January exams could be resits or just the first exams for people. Those who fail the January exams could then resit in June. It was a cycle of resits

All the topics match except the questions are different. This applies for all unless the specification had changed then in biology specifically but I dont think so.

Ahahaha, I had my last AS exam on Thursday but thanks anyway
Pinkpearl14
Rep:
?
(Original post by undine_monty)
The January exams could be resits or just the first exams for people. Those who fail the January exams could then resit in June. It was a cycle of resits

All the topics match except the questions are different. This applies for all unless the specification had changed then in biology specifically but I dont think so.

Ahahaha, I had my last AS exam on Thursday but thanks anyway
Wow they had 2 chances in one year that is so good! It's too hard now. With all these new rules it's so stressful! Oh no the science specification changed in 2011 I just checked and is still the same all that has changed is style of exams only.

Oh haha anyways good luck for you results! And I'm here doing my GCSEs! You're lucky to escape this situation just in time ain! god bless!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Keele University
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Thu, 27 Jun '19
  • Birkbeck, University of London
    Undergraduate Open Day - Bloomsbury Undergraduate
    Thu, 27 Jun '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19

What was the hardest A-level paper of 2019?

Edexcel Maths paper 1 (36)
24.66%
Edexcel Maths paper 2 (51)
34.93%
AQA Chemistry Paper 2 (25)
17.12%
Edexcel Maths Paper 3 (11)
7.53%
AQA Physics Paper 3 (23)
15.75%

Watched Threads