kiera28
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hey everyone. I'm doing my GCSEs atm so I have to pick my a levels pretty soon. I know I want to do arts and humanities (as oppose to maths and sciences) but I'm not sure I what I want to do...
I'm interesting in all sorts of things such as International Politics/ Law, journalism or primary school teaching.

I've heard that for law your subjects need to be academic (the same for politics). If I want to do 'International' or 'European' law/ politics do I need a language? Because I was going to do Spanish and RS but due to timetabling I can't do both, and my spanish exam didn't do well so I think I'll do RS if that's suitable..? Does anyone know if not doing a language would be okay?

I need English for journalism, and two (at least) core curriculum subjects if I want to do primary school teaching. (These are the sciences, maths, RS, music, Art, English, languages and sometimes drama)

So.. I need to pick 4 from these five:
Religious Studies
English Literature
Economics
Politics
(Fine) Art

I know that Art is a bit random but my school has a great department and I figured that if I did it for AS it wouldn't hinder my chances for other subjects too much?

And having it for AS would mean I'd have 2.5 'core curriculum' subjects for A Level? (For if I wanted to do primary teaching)

Can anyone give me any input / advice? Thanks!!
KingThomas
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
https://twitter.com/AlevelExaminer examples for in key subjects that will definitely come up in exams Follow me mate? join the conversation Cheers mate Many thanks

I can help you follow me
Melissaalb
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I would pick RS, economics, politics and fine art.

I don't do any of these subjects so I can't really give you advice or anything

Posted from TSR Mobile
KingThomas
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If you want to do politics you should do English Language, Economics and politics
sometimes you need a language if you want to work as a translator in the EU
however its okay not doing a language.
kiera28
Rep:
?
(Original post by Melissaalb)
I would pick RS, economics, politics and fine art.

I don't do any of these subjects so I can't really give you advice or anything

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks, why not English?

Posted from TSR Mobile
The Empire Odyssey
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by kiera28)
Thanks, why not English?

Posted from TSR Mobile
You obviously need to pick English Literature as you might want to be a journalist and/or go into primary education. If you want to do International/European Law, does your school do History at A-level and focus on countries/history like Spain/Spanish Law, French Revolution, Fascism in Italy, Germany and Hitler etc? That might work? Of course if you don't like History, ignore this.

I say study English Lit, RS, Politics and then choose your forth option.
kiera28
Rep:
?
(Original post by The Empire Odyssey)
You obviously need to pick English Literature as you might want to be a journalist and/or go into primary education. If you want to do International/European Law, does your school do History at A-level and focus on countries/history like Spain/Spanish Law, French Revolution, Fascism in Italy, Germany and Hitler etc? That might work? Of course if you don't like History, ignore this.

I say study English Lit, RS, Politics and then choose your forth option.
Thanks! Obviously, I was just wondering why they didn't value it. 😋 thanks! They do but unfortunately I didn't pick history for gcse and won't let me do it for A Level. Thanks! How come you think politics over economics? If you don't mind me asking.
The Empire Odyssey
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Thanks! Obviously, I was just wondering why they didn't value it. 😋 thanks! They do but unfortunately I didn't pick history for gcse and won't let me do it for A Level. Thanks! How come you think politics over economics? If you don't mind me asking.
Really? I never did History at GCSE and did it for AS, before I dropped it cause it was pure crap, I kept getting Bs in the essays! Sorry, I meant politcs over economics! You defo need politics. Well I know that most unis expect you if you have politics or history A-level. But politics seems to be your best bet!

PS: I meant Spanish Civil War/Inquisition. Not Spanish Law!
kiera28
Rep:
?
Really? I never did History at GCSE and did it for AS, before I dropped it cause it was pure crap, I kept getting Bs in the essays! Sorry, I meant politcs over economics! You defo need politics. Well I know that most unis expect you if you have politics or history A-level. But politics seems to be your best bet!

PS: I meant Spanish Civil War/Inquisition. Not Spanish Law!
Okay I'm pretty set on English and Politics. Hmmm I think maybe I'll steer clear of economics after all, as A Levels are being reformed and Economics is being made much harder..and from what I've heard it's already pretty hard? Soooooo I think English Politics Art AS and then one from RS and Spanish depending on my GCSE results? what do you think?:P

Posted from TSR Mobile
The Empire Odyssey
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Okay I'm pretty set on English and Politics. Hmmm I think maybe I'll steer clear of economics after all, as A Levels are being reformed and Economics is being made much harder..and from what I've heard it's already pretty hard? Soooooo I think English Politics Art AS and then one from RS and Spanish depending on my GCSE results? what do you think?:P

Posted from TSR Mobile
English Lit is also being strengthened. Over the 2 years, I studied 8 "set" texts (plus more for wider reading). But you will be required to study 12 set texts now aha! Ouch... But English is so much fun! Do you know what texts youll be studying?

A modern language would be good. Art is very demanding A-level and with either English and/or RS with Spanish, it's going to leave you with 0% free time! But if you enjoy those subjects, you should still take it though!
kiera28
Rep:
?
English Lit is also being strengthened. Over the 2 years, I studied 8 "set" texts (plus more for wider reading). But you will be required to study 12 set texts now aha! Ouch... But English is so much fun! Do you know what texts youll be studying?

A modern language would be good. Art is very demanding A-level and with either English and/or RS with Spanish, it's going to leave you with 0% free time! But if you enjoy those subjects, you should still take it though!
Yeah and they're abolishing coursework which kinda sucks. Nope not yet, we'll be given two for over the summer on the 4th June... I love English though haha so I'm gonna do it anyway at my school we have to take 4 AS's and I know that I'll work hard in it because we have to (teachers are really on our backs aha).... I'll be motivated to work on the others because I can only do art AS so I will know I cant drop them(we have to choose before we start cuz for AS and A Level we're using different exam boards- don't ask!)

I think I'll go for Spanish, English Lit + Politics with Art AS (maybe...)

Posted from TSR Mobile
The Empire Odyssey
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yeah and they're abolishing coursework which kinda sucks. Nope not yet, we'll be given two for over the summer on the 4th June... I love English though haha so I'm gonna do it anyway at my school we have to take 4 AS's and I know that I'll work hard in it because we have to (teachers are really on our backs aha).... I'll be motivated to work on the others because I can only do art AS so I will know I cant drop them(we have to choose before we start cuz for AS and A Level we're using different exam boards- don't ask!)

I think I'll go for Spanish, English Lit + Politics with Art AS (maybe...)

Posted from TSR Mobile
For GCSE, they are getting rid of controlled assessment (for English) as a lot of schools and centres just cheat really. Coursework at A-level is being capped from 40% to 20% though. I did 4 AS-levels. Was so much work!!

Sounds like a good combination! .
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (103)
13.29%
I'm not sure (33)
4.26%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (238)
30.71%
I have already dropped out (19)
2.45%
I'm not a current university student (382)
49.29%

Watched Threads