Media love in with Gerrard is astonishing but expected

Watch this thread
Zürich
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Frank Lampard is leaving for the MLS today also but is receiving about 10% of the pats on the back that Slippy G is. Lampard achieved vastly more in his career and in many people's opinion was the better player. We're talking about a guy who has never won a title and since 2006 has won a single Capital One cup...Roy Keane, a vastly superior player achieved more and basically got no send off at all you'll remember as well. And it's not like SG is a nice or charismatic bloke either, he should have gone down for GBH not long ago.

Cant understand why the mass media generally are so in thrall to Liverpool basically. Cast your mind back to last season when LFC looked like they'd win the league and it was mind-numbingly sycophantic.

Said it many times but in this country generally, Liverpool benefit from media bias followed by Utd whereas Arsenal/Chelsea are generally disdained at any opportunity. Must be an anti-London thing imo and a generation of jounos who grew up in the 80s when LFC mattered...
Nichrome
Badges: 18
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Zürich)
Frank Lampard is leaving for the MLS today also but is receiving about 10% of the pats on the back that Slippy G is. Lampard achieved vastly more in his career and in many people's opinion was the better player. We're talking about a guy who has never won a title and since 2006 has won a single Capital One cup...Roy Keane, a vastly superior player achieved more and basically got no send off at all you'll remember as well. And it's not like SG is a nice or charismatic bloke either, he should have gone down for GBH not long ago.

Cant understand why the mass media generally are so in thrall to Liverpool basically. Cast your mind back to last season when LFC looked like they'd win the league and it was mind-numbingly sycophantic.

Said it many times but in this country generally, Liverpool benefit from media bias followed by Utd whereas Arsenal/Chelsea are generally disdained at any opportunity. Must be an anti-London thing imo and a generation of jounos who grew up in the 80s when LFC mattered...
Spot on. Absolutely disgusting by the media. It has been delightful to see Slippy's send off be a couple of thrashings by Stoke and Crystal Palace however. I have never seen ANY player leave the Premier league to even 25% of the nonsense love in that Slippy G is getting, and when you think of all the greats who have come and gone, it's absolutely sickening.
Windies
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
The media & 95% of the football fan-base, even neutrals are brain-waished.
Gerrard has been overly sensationalized.
Gerrard was only marginally better than Lampard between 03-06.
Since then it has been no competition, Lampard outdoes him in every stat, Lampard has single-handedly stepped up in pressure moments before 2006 and after 2006 and won trophies. Gerrard on the other hand has been a liability in pressure moments since 06.
Aky786UK
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
I think Lampard's exit was more classy and sincere today. At the end of the game, City gave him a signed frame with signatures of his team-mates, his dad and his kids came out and he looked choked up.

Lampard, having played for four clubs (if you include his loan spell at Swansea whilst he was at West Ham) probably doesn't conjure up that iconic status compared to Gerrard, who is, according to many people a "one-club man".

A shame really that last season when Chelsea knew he wouldn't be staying that they didn't announce something before the last home game for fans of that club, who had seen him develop over 11 years or so, say a goodbye.
Kenan and Kel
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
On Lampard, City gave him a real nice send-off today. Fair-play to them.
Manchester United
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Zürich)

You're exactly right.
username917703
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Yeah lol, the media are anti London. Don't be daft.

You're right about Liverpool though. Lost track of the amount of times I've heard the words "famous European night/atmosphere" at Anfield only for it to be quiet enough to hear a pin drop in the game.
Mackay
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Wilfred Little)
Yeah lol, the media are anti London. Don't be daft.

You're right about Liverpool though. Lost track of the amount of times I've heard the words "famous European night/atmosphere" at Anfield only for it to be quiet enough to hear a pin drop in the game.
To be fair, I think that's just symptomatic of modern football. You get a lot of day-trippers and bucket list tickers at Anfield these days, which is a massive shame. There's no denying the atmosphere in games like City last season were impressive, though.
TornadoGR4
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
I wouldn't say the media are anti-London, quite the opposite really, but the whole Gerrard thing is ****ing annoying.

In fact, I find the whole culture of Liverpool bull**** annoying. I get sick of hearing about the amazing Anfield atmosphere, inspirational talisman Stevie G the hero of Liverpool, even the whole Justice for the 96 campaign is an earsore. I know that's an incredibly ******** thing to say, and I sincerely hope justice is served for the Hillsborough tragedy, but I'm sick of constantly hearing about it. Other clubs have also lost fans & it could be claimed they haven't seen justice, Valley Parade springs to mind.

Nobody really cares about Liverpool and it's boring that they seem to be the one club constantly forced down everyone's throats. Just my opinion as a neutral, I say that as a fan of a club that lost it's relevance a decade ago, so I know what it's like.
little_wizard123
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Can't stand Liverpool, but Gerrard was far superior to Lampard and Keane.
doobucks
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Agree with Zurich.

Tbh I've started to appreciate Lampard more and more now. Not many people with his eye for goal and consistency tbh. I think Lampard was a bit under appreciated.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (10)
35.71%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (9)
32.14%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
7.14%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (1)
3.57%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (2)
7.14%
I’m starting to consider my university options (3)
10.71%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (0)
0%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
3.57%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed