Turn on thread page Beta

So the AS exam is just over a week away. If your teachers are anything like mine then they would have spent the whole year on coursework and left the theory to you.
    The AS/A2 book is so awful and confusing. does anyone know any good revision sites/books to help?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I have exactly the same situation, I think really the key things you need to remember are the processes and materials and from there you should be fine It is tricky though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lozzieladybird)
    So the AS exam is just over a week away. If your teachers are anything like mine then they would have spent the whole year on coursework and left the theory to you.
    The AS/A2 book is so awful and confusing. does anyone know any good revision sites/books to help?
    I was exactly in the same place as you last year! having only finished my As coursework a couple of weeks before the exam and not covered most of it in class it was mainly a self learn process of cramming the nights before!
    I would say use the book and then youtube and technologystudent.com. technologystudent.com is really helpful but you might need to search around to find what you need, a lot of the product design sections has information more for the A2 exam but if you material information look in equipment an processes there is loads of stuff about woods and metals as well plastics.
    Also if your school has kerboodle use that it has loads of inactive diagrams and helpful stuff on itIf you know a lot of plastic then make sure you also know the process for metals! you wont be able to get away with knowledge on just metals.
    Also know about smart and modern materials and the difference between the two
    Try and learn the case study for each material, such as a plastic drinks bottle and a metal drinks can as especially for the drinks can it uses lots of the main processes which you need so you'll learn the key stuff quick!
    A great tip of what might come up in the exam this year is looking at the examiner report from last year the stuff they did badly on normally comes up the next year!

But don't worry too much if you got a good grade in the course work then if you don't do well in the exam this year you can always retake it next year if you carry on to A2 (that's what I'm doing)

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, I'm an A2 student taking both the AS and A2 exam this year. i got 1 mark off a B overall last year in the exam, a high B for the coursework, so a B overall. This year i got an A for my coursework so hoping to get an A for the A2 exam (and for the AS retake)!
    best thing i find is like meanxi said, a case study for each material type. go through the past papers and take the insert slip or any products used in examples and mind map the key features for each, processes and techniques, materials, finishes, alternative materials, pros and cons of methods/materials. (it is incredibly repetititive, but after a while it'll come natural to you and you can write loads of points about literally any product, when in the exam you'l only need 3/4 well explained points) --- this really helps with the photograph, naming specific material, describing how the product would manufactured etc. questions (which are also my least fav)
    the part i find distinguishes between C/B grades and A grades is the application of materials to different circumstances.
    although the AQA book is pretty disastrous, it does have everything you need. write notes for each topic and then apply it for past papers etc. its not the funnest thing to revise from, and there's not a lot you can do with AS tech revision, but it's all in the book
    hope my rambling was of any help

ReputationRep:
    I'm also the exam next week, and I think the best revision is just simply going through past papers and finding the answers to the questions you don't know, and then apply them to the next past paper. In terms of the questions you do know, answer them and then tweek them until they apply to the mark scheme! Do this with all the past papers that are currently available and I guarantee you will be able to answer this year's paper. This paper is a lot of repeated stuff from previous years I hope I helped at all Good Luck!

ReputationRep:
    Hi,I'm doing the A2 exam and i've got a few weaknesses I've found after doing the past papersI really don't like the questions where you have to write a design specification (i seem to write too much) and then compare and contrast two products against it (i don't know whether to do them at the same time or individually). And really, any question where two or more products have to be compared and contrasted against a spec, design movement, etc.I was wondering if anyone could help me with the best way of going around such questions....Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Hey do any of you know whether coloured pencils should be used in the AS DT exam for drawings?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Music With Rocks)
    Hey do any of you know whether coloured pencils should be used in the AS DT exam for drawings?
    I don't believe that you need them but there will be no harm in taking them, so take them you don't want to be without them.

ReputationRep:
    I have also found for revision that the website, Memrise, is very usual, there are mamy courses on subjects.

Here is a link to a dashboard that includes a Product Design Course that you can work through: http://staging.memrise.com/user/Bete...rses/teaching/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rose67)
    I have also found for revision that the website, Memrise, is very usual, there are mamy courses on subjects.

Here is a link to a dashboard that includes a Product Design Course that you can work through: http://staging.memrise.com/user/Bete...rses/teaching/
    Thank you I will take coloured pencils in, also I really like that resource. Thanks for linking!

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else positively ****ting themselves for tomorrow? )))

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lozengerrrr)
    Anyone else positively ****ting themselves for tomorrow? )))
    hi what do you reckon will be in tomorrows paper?

ReputationRep:
    Im pretty scared for tomorrow, but im hoping it will be fine...i guess im cramming tonight

ReputationRep:
    Yes, not looking forward to tomorrow but i am confident that i can get a solid B in this. For any of those struggling, you pretty much need to know your materials and processes, if so, there is nothing to worry about! Also, one more tip: If you get a question of "Why is this product suitable for this material" just think of the product and think of what properties the product needs in order to be a good product, write down these properties down and usually 8 times out of 10, you should get at least a few marks! (only use that method if you don't know anything about that material) !!

Best of Luck to everyone who is taking this AS Hope you found this helpful!

ReputationRep:
    So what do you lot think might come up?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by veryscared123)
    hi what do you reckon will be in tomorrows paper?
    I have a feeling Compression Moulding is gonna come up, idk why

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hill16)
    So what do you lot think might come up?
    If there's anything to do with processing metals, I am screwed aaaaagh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lozzieladybird)
    try technologystudent.co.uk has pretty good clear explanations on processes and materials

ReputationRep:
    Whats the easiest way to remember metals finishing

ReputationRep:
    By the sounds of it... we are all positively screwed.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.