How easy is it to self-teach Swedish?

Watch
Kangie
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
So I've wanted to learn Swedish for a while now, I have a couple of Swedish friends and they have taught me some Swedish words while I in return, taught them Japanese words but I decided that I want to teach myself!

Has anyone else here taught themselves Swedish and if so, is it difficult? I'm trying to work out if it's worth buying Swedish grammar books or if it will be a waste of time and money because it's too difficult.
Daenerys...
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
Why do you want to speak swedish it's a terrible language.

On another note is it hard to self-teach japenese? It's a dream of mine to learn how to speak it and I may dedicate a big chunk of my summer learning it.
JD1lla
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Kangie)
So I've wanted to learn Swedish for a while now, I have a couple of Swedish friends and they have taught me some Swedish words while I in return, taught them Japanese words but I decided that I want to teach myself!

Has anyone else here taught themselves Swedish and if so, is it difficult? I'm trying to work out if it's worth buying Swedish grammar books or if it will be a waste of time and money because it's too difficult.
Lots of vowels. I've heard it's quite difficult.

Google 'Rosetta Stone Swedish'.
Kangie
Rep:
(Original post by Daenerys...)

On another note is it hard to self-teach japenese? It's a dream of mine to learn how to speak it and I may dedicate a big chunk of my summer learning it.
Sweden seems like a beautiful country and I want to go there one day with some knowledge of the Swedish language.

Well I can't really say since I've been brought up speaking Japanese to my mum but if you are good at learning languages in general then you will probably be fine. Anyway regardless if it's hard or not, I recommend learning it because it's a beautiful language.
JD1lla
Rep:
Report 6 years ago

Extremely difficult to self teach japanese
JuliusDS92
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 6 years ago

Go f**k yourself.

(Original post by Kangie)

Don't listen to people who say it's difficult, they have literally no idea what they're talking about. Swedish and Norwegian are well known as being two of the easiest languages for native English speakers to learn. Swedish is a Germanic language like English so there's a substantial overlap in vocabulary, but the grammar is much simpler than something like German (and possibly Dutch as well).

A couple of things to be aware of:

All nouns are preceded by either en/ett (i.e. en buss, ett träd). This isn't a masculine/feminine distinction, it's just random.
There are three extra vowels in the Swedish alphabet: ö, ä, å.
The infamous "sj" sound in Swedish can be difficult for learners to pronounce, but most people get there with practice. Even many native speakers pronounce it "sh" and this is a perfectly acceptable thing to do.

Those are pretty much the only tricky things I can think of for Swedish, and that pales in significance to the volume of common pitfalls involved in learning something like French or German. The only other issue is that there won't be as many learning resources for Swedish as for other more popular languages, but there still should be good stuff out there. For just beginning it shouldn't make two much difference what you use - the Hugo "learn a language in three months" series are pretty good (I use them for French and Spanish). I'd also suggest using sites like Memrise which drill you in vocab. I like this as I find I can learn the grammar from a book but not so much the vocabulary.

Let me know if you have any other questions!
Valyrian
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 6 years ago

Are you from Finland?
JD1lla
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by JuliusDS92)
Go f**k yourself.

Don't listen to people who say it's difficult, they have literally no idea what they're talking about. Swedish and Norwegian are well known as being two of the easiest languages for native English speakers to learn. Swedish is a Germanic language like English so there's a substantial overlap in vocabulary, but the grammar is much simpler than something like German (and possibly Dutch as well).

All nouns are preceded by either en/ett (i.e. en buss, ett träd). This isn't a masculine/feminine distinction, it's just random.
The infamous "sj" sound in Swedish can be difficult for learners to pronounce, but most people get there with practice. Even many native speakers pronounce it "sh" and this is a perfectly acceptable thing to do.

Those are pretty much the only tricky things I can think of for Swedish, and that pales in significance to the volume of common pitfalls involved in learning something like French or German. The only other issue is that there won't be as many learning resources for Swedish as for other more popular languages, but there still should be good stuff out there. For just beginning it shouldn't make two much difference what you use - the Hugo "learn a language in three months" series are pretty good (I use them for French and Spanish). I'd also suggest using sites like Memrise which drill you in vocab. I like this as I find I can learn the grammar from a book but not so much the vocabulary.

Icelandic is also a Germanic language, is there substantial overlap in vocab there?
Kangie
Rep:

Yay, thank god for it not being hard

I will check out that website and the Hugo series. Hopefully it will be easier to learn since I learnt French for GCSE and IB, although not sure if it will be similar in any way unlike German.

Thanks for your tips
riq23
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
very easy. did it all yesterday
Daenerys...
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by JD1lla)
Extremely difficult to self teach japanese
Oh that sucks. Is there anyway around this?
Go f**k yourself.
Lol swedish sounds so ******ed, sorry not sorry

(Original post by Valyrian)
Are you from Finland?
Lol no. I don't hate Sweden I just think the language is silly. I have several friends who speak it. lol
Chicken.M.
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 6 years ago

Oh that sucks. Is there anyway around this?Lol swedish sounds so ******ed, sorry not sorry

Lol no. I don't hate Sweden I just think the language is silly. I have several friends who speak it. lol
It's a beautiful language
JuliusDS92
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by JD1lla)
Icelandic is also a Germanic language, is there substantial overlap in vocab there?
Probably not - Icelandic has changed very little, relatively speaking, in the last thousand years. There's not much overlap between Icelandic and other Scandinavian languages.

Of course being from the same language family doesn't necessarily mean there is much shared vocabulary, but it does mean that this is more likely. And Swedish does, for a fact, share an awful lot of vocabulary with English. I know this because I speak both languages

Maybe I should have made that last point explicit, but I figured it was clear enough from the content of my previous post.
Guy Secretan
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
dunno have you tried using duolingo. It's supposed to be quite similar to english. You do realize that swedish people have a very high level of english proficiency (one of the highest in the world)
Valyrian
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Every language has its own unique traits of how to say particular words, common in many Germanic languages
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you give consent for uni's to contact your parent/trusted person in a mental health crisis?

Yes - my parent/carer (137)
33.74%
Yes - a trusted person (107)
26.35%
No (110)
27.09%
I'm not sure (52)
12.81%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed