The Student Room Group

A-Level Options

Hi there :smile:

I am currently the process of choosing my A-Level Options and have decided on Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry, as I think I would like to go into physics in the future. I would also like to do a 5th A-Level (I know this sounds crazy, but I know myself and I think that I could manage it and there's always the option of dropping it if it gets too much). This would either be biology or English Lit. In some ways I think biology would be the best as it completes the set and I find most of the course interesting; however, I also really enjoy English and I like the idea of being able to express my creative side. Furthermore, English Lit gives me something to fall back on if I decide science isn't for me after all.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Don't worry, I know two people who do maths, further maths, physics, chemistry and biology for a level and they're both doing absolutely fine! If you think you can manage it, go for it :smile:
I think either subject would be a good idea, but personally I'd do english. I think having a completely "different" subject can really help because when you get tired of doing sciencey stuff you can always switch to doing english homework, which could be a good relief. Also, english will provide you with a really broad skills set for when you go to uni, especially for when you have to do research projects and write ups :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by muonfrisbee98

I am currently the process of choosing my A-Level Options and have decided on Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry, as I think I would like to go into physics in the future. I would also like to do a 5th A-Level (I know this sounds crazy, but I know myself and I think that I could manage it and there's always the option of dropping it if it gets too much). This would either be biology or English Lit. In some ways I think biology would be the best as it completes the set and I find most of the course interesting; however, I also really enjoy English and I like the idea of being able to express my creative side. Furthermore, English Lit gives me something to fall back on if I decide science isn't for me after all.

I would go for it, you could always drop if it's too much. I do maths, further, phys, chem and art, and it's very tough at times but i'm glad i went for it and did all the subjects i wanted. it's nice to have one creative subject in there as a contrast. But just remember you'll have to write essays for english lit on top of doing a lot of maths. further maths is very involved.
As someone who did five AS-Levels (all essay subjects - all pain!) I think it's definitely manageable. I actually think the Maths + FM combination with another three subjects is relatively common because you can almost treat both maths as one large subject. Either would be fine - I would definitely say that English Lit has less content to revise (having done it this year and having known many people doing biology) but it won't feel that way if you dislike it.
Thanks for the replies :smile: It's good to know that there are others out there who are managing fine!
Reply 5
as a person who went for the glory math chem physics biology i would say it has no point. unis want you to have subjects that meet their entry requirements, in you case i dont see why you would want to do chemistry, it doesnt help for physics, and honestly when results day comes and you say i didnt meet you offer but i have just missed out and ive got a hard subject chemistry, they dont really care, all they want is too tick the entry reuqirement box aswell as the AAA box.
Reply 6
Original post by nmjasdk
as a person who went for the glory math chem physics biology i would say it has no point. unis want you to have subjects that meet their entry requirements, in you case i dont see why you would want to do chemistry, it doesnt help for physics, and honestly when results day comes and you say i didnt meet you offer but i have just missed out and ive got a hard subject chemistry, they dont really care, all they want is too tick the entry reuqirement box aswell as the AAA box.

You seem a bit lost. Chemistry and physics work very well with each other. Chemistry is derived from physics and so learning it would give you a better insight of what you can do with physics.
Original post by AAls
You seem a bit lost. Chemistry and physics work very well with each other. Chemistry is derived from physics and so learning it would give you a better insight of what you can do with physics.
Yeah- I definitely want to do chemistry as it links so closely to physics. I'm just confused about whether English Lit or Biology would be best for me :smile:
Original post by antisansculotte
As someone who did five AS-Levels (all essay subjects - all pain!) I think it's definitely manageable. I actually think the Maths + FM combination with another three subjects is relatively common because you can almost treat both maths as one large subject. Either would be fine - I would definitely say that English Lit has less content to revise (having done it this year and having known many people doing biology) but it won't feel that way if you dislike it.
How much more stressful would you say English Lit is at A-Level? I have to admit that it has been quite stressful for me at GCSE but I do really enjoy the subject and it's creativity, but I'm sure biology is stressful too in the sense that you have to memorise lots. Also, is it particularly hard to get a good grade in Lit? Sorry for the 20 questions... :biggrin:
Reply 9
Yeah- I definitely want to do chemistry as it links so closely to physics. I'm just confused about whether English Lit or Biology would be best for me :smile:

I'd say pick Biology so you can complete the set :wink:. Since you seem to be capable to do well in both, just pick which ever one you'd think you will enjoy the most. English Literature will add more breadth I guess and so it may be able to show how well-rounded you are.
Original post by AAls
I'd say pick Biology so you can complete the set :wink:. Since you seem to be capable to do well in both, just pick which ever one you'd think you will enjoy the most. English Literature will add more breadth I guess and so it may be able to show how well-rounded you are.
Fair point :smile: I'm leaning slightly towards Lit, as I don't want to lose my creative side but at the same time I hate to think of all the interesting things I'm missing out on in biology, but whether they are relevant to a physics degree or not is another thing... :s-smilie:
How much more stressful would you say English Lit is at A-Level? I have to admit that it has been quite stressful for me at GCSE but I do really enjoy the subject and it's creativity, but I'm sure biology is stressful too in the sense that you have to memorise lots. Also, is it particularly hard to get a good grade in Lit? Sorry for the 20 questions... :biggrin:

Honestly, it's not too bad. Depending on your school, naturally. With AQA I studied two novels, two clusters of poetry and did two plays for coursework. There's a lot of essay writing involved, but the content itself isn't huge - it's more having a robust understanding and knowledge of those texts. Grade boundaries for the exam are lower than most subjects (apparently because marking can be harsh) and coursework makes up 40% of the grade. This is all AQA, by the way. I wouldn't recommend taking it unless you truly enjoy it, nonetheless.
Honestly, it's not too bad. Depending on your school, naturally. With AQA I studied two novels, two clusters of poetry and did two plays for coursework. There's a lot of essay writing involved, but the content itself isn't huge - it's more having a robust understanding and knowledge of those texts. Grade boundaries for the exam are lower than most subjects (apparently because marking can be harsh) and coursework makes up 40% of the grade. This is all AQA, by the way. I wouldn't recommend taking it unless you truly enjoy it, nonetheless.
I do like the sound of that coursework as I would be doing A2 maths and 4 ASs in my AS year anyway so lots of exams! I would say that I do really enjoy English when I get into it though :smile: Another question... are your exams open book as the most stressful thing I found about GCSE was remembering the quotes exactly even though I knew the texts well?
I do like the sound of that coursework as I would be doing A2 maths and 4 ASs in my AS year anyway so lots of exams! I would say that I do really enjoy English when I get into it though :smile: Another question... are your exams open book as the most stressful thing I found about GCSE was remembering the quotes exactly even though I knew the texts well?

That depends on the exam board, I think. AQA AS is open book while A2 is closed book.

Maths, further maths and physics are the ones you really need for physics. If you get good grades in them then the others don't matter. Under the old system doing five A-levels was fairly manageble. With the new system it will be more difficult. You're doing 9 maths exams in the first year though, which takes some of the pressure off of the second year. As you say, you can try it out and then drop one if it gets too much.

I've taken maths early and am in A2 taking further maths, physics, chemistry and biology and aiming for a maths and physics degree so in a similar situation.

Biology does work well with chemistry and you won't that kind of a creative side for physics. You say you find biology interesting so take it.
That depends on the exam board, I think. AQA AS is open book while A2 is closed book.
Ah ok- thanks :smile:
Original post by morgan8002
Maths, further maths and physics are the ones you really need for physics. If you get good grades in them then the others don't matter. Under the old system doing five A-levels was fairly manageble. With the new system it will be more difficult. You're doing 9 maths exams in the first year though, which takes some of the pressure off of the second year. As you say, you can try it out and then drop one if it gets too much.

I've taken maths early and am in A2 taking further maths, physics, chemistry and biology and aiming for a maths and physics degree so in a similar situation.

Biology does work well with chemistry and you won't that kind of a creative side for physics. You say you find biology interesting so take it.
Yeah, I do find most of the biology course interesting (human biology, for example- not so much the environmental), but I am concerned over the amount of memorising- I tend to prefer the sciences that are more fundamentally based and can work from first principles :smile:

Hi , im not too sure about eng lit because I dont do it bt I am doing my AS biology exams and for one thing if u are choosing biology due to it being good at Gcse's then dont I felt the same I loved biology at gcse bt at alevel it is completely different and not aoseasy as gcse Im predicted an A at the end of the year bt I wouldnt say it was easy and knowing that u dont really need it for the physics degree u mght as well do lit and be creating as uve got chem and physics which is what u need have a break from sciency subjects , do somet different biology is a subject which shouldnt be a fifth choice as it needs time and I think itd be very hard to do 3science subjects when ur doing 5 alevels personally I wud not even recommend doung 5 alevels its nit as easy as gcses even if u think ur a time manager it can cause a lot of stress as well I mean I sometimes regret doing 4 !
Reply 18
I would do eng lit if I were you, I do maths, biology, chemistry and lit, chose lit as it shows a completely different skill, adding biology to your set of subjects doesn't add much variety or difficulty as it isn't as difficult as your other choices.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah, I do find most of the biology course interesting (human biology, for example- not so much the environmental), but I am concerned over the amount of memorising- I tend to prefer the sciences that are more fundamentally based and can work from first principles :smile:

Yeah most people don't like the environmental stuff. How are you with plants? I imagine you're also interested in biochemistry.

There's huge amounts of stuff to remember. You have to be good at memorisation.

Same. My main interests lie in theoretical physics and mathematics so I like a subject where most of it can either be proven from axioms or understood on the most fundamental level. A lot(not all of it) of the content you learn in biology you have to just accept, with either no explanation or a simplistic one. I think this isn't just confined to the A-level, but is a reflection of biology as a whole. Organisms are extremely complex systems and they can't easily be directly observed in detail(dissections and using microscopes etc. don't give the full picture and often not in real time) so the reality is that we haven't yet scratched the surface on how exactly they work. I find this unsatisfactory because you can't understand it fully.

All that being said, it is still a very interesting subject

Quick Reply

Latest