It'sTheArtLife
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi 😊

Could someone please explain to me what multipath dispersion is...? In simple terms like a definition...? Also, how do you prevent it? I've read that doing something to the refractive index of the cladding and width of the core does something but I don't know what 😭 And is it better for the critical angle in fibre optics to be higher or lower and why?

I know there are loads of questions in there... Sorry 😁

Replies are much appreciated. Dreading this exam!
pineneedles
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Multipath dispersion is the effect of the spreading out of light pulses at the end of optical fibres caused by beams of light travelling different paths down the fibre. As they travel different paths, they travel different distances and so don't all reach the end of the fibre at the same time.

The width of the core limits the amount of incident angles the light can travel down the fibre at, so limiting the different paths it can take and reducing any time difference.
Having a higher critical angle also has this effect - this reduces the range of angles a beam of light can be incident at inside an optical fibre in order to be totally internally reflected, so reducing the amount of different paths, etc.

Hopefully this helps
It'sTheArtLife
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Thank you so much! 😄😊👍
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (189)
15.5%
Uncertainty around my education (199)
16.32%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (119)
9.76%
Isolating with family (85)
6.97%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (47)
3.86%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (105)
8.61%
Loneliness (118)
9.68%
Financial worries (52)
4.27%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (110)
9.02%
Exposure to negative news/social media (89)
7.3%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (106)
8.7%

Watched Threads