GCSE Edexcel History Cold War/International Relations (Exam Date= 1/6/15) Watch

aqaedexcelwjec
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hey

Would anybody be able to help with how you answer each question? In particular the 10 mark question, 13 mark and 15 marks?

The questions are 2 marks, 4 marks, 6 marks, 10 marks, 13 marks and 15 marks.

Also does anyone have any good resources or links for revision?

Thank you so much in advance.
budgetdeficit99
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Question 1) You just need to identify two points from the source that is relevant to the question. It's very simple, just a short sentence for each point. WORTH 2 MARKS.

Question 2) You have to outline two reasons. For one reason, write a sentence for your point, and include a history fact that links to your point. You do this twice. WORTH 4 MARKS.

Question 3) For this question you do two bulky paragraphs, and a brief conclusion. You'll be given two sources, and you should judge their usefulness based on content and provenance. I would advise you to do one paragraph comparing which is better in terms of content, and one paragraph judging them in terms of provenance. NEVER WRITE THAT ONE SOURCE IS USELESS, as a source is always even slightly useful. For points on content, you have to write about how detailed the content is, include quotes. To judge if a source's content is useful, it must back up your historical knowledge. To judge provenance, use the nature, origin and purpose of the source. Then write a quick conclusion on which source is more useful and why. WORTH 10 MARKS.

Question 4) You have to briefly describe key features. So a point and a history fact will do for each paragraph. Do three paragraphs to ensure full marks and make sure your facts are specific. If you can't think of three key features, then you can use "why it happened" "what happened" and "what happened after" as a template! WORTH 6 MARKS.

Question 5) You choose 3 options. To ensure 5 marks for each paragraph I'd recommend stating what the event is and including very detailed facts. And then explaining why it is important in depth, and then why it is important on a wider scale i.e. what effect did it have on the cold war. For example, "The Cuban Revolution was the overthrowal of the Cuban President Batista, who had been replaced by Fidel Castro in 1959. The Cuban Revolution had taken place because Batista had ruled over Cuba in a reign of terror and dictatorship. The Cuban Revolution was important because Cuba had been supported by the USA until Castro - a nationalist turned communist - had become the President. This was important because the USA had realised the growing influence of communism and had tried to retaliate against it in future events e.g. the Bay of Pigs incident in 1961. Also, the Cuban Revolution was important because America had stopped trading with Cuba, which led to Castro seeking an alliance with the USSR." WORTH 15 MARKS.

Question 6) Use the two events that you are given and try to come up with another that is equally significant in the time frame given. You should have three reasons and a conclusion which links and prioritises in order to aim for the highest marks. Each paragraph should consist of a point, history fact, explanation of why it was important, and then link it to the question e.g. whether it improved/worsened relations. In your conclusion, show how all factors contribute to relations changing but then show that one factor is most significant as it started the chain of events that changed relations. Be careful about your SPaG as it can give you an additional 3 marks! WORTH 13 MARKS +3 FOR SPaG.

If you struggle with timing then I really recommend doing questions 5 and 6 first. Don't be too fussed about question 1 if you can't identify points from the source, as they can be quite difficult to point out.I haven't used any online sources for revision but I have however used the Edexcel revision guide which sums everything up quite nicely.

Good luck in your exam, I'm sure you'll be just fine!
blitzchika
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thanks for this!
Naveen1412
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by budgetdeficit99)
Question 1) You just need to identify two points from the source that is relevant to the question. It's very simple, just a short sentence for each point. WORTH 2 MARKS.

Question 2) You have to outline two reasons. For one reason, write a sentence for your point, and include a history fact that links to your point. You do this twice. WORTH 4 MARKS.

Question 3) For this question you do two bulky paragraphs, and a brief conclusion. You'll be given two sources, and you should judge their usefulness based on content and provenance. I would advise you to do one paragraph comparing which is better in terms of content, and one paragraph judging them in terms of provenance. NEVER WRITE THAT ONE SOURCE IS USELESS, as a source is always even slightly useful. For points on content, you have to write about how detailed the content is, include quotes. To judge if a source's content is useful, it must back up your historical knowledge. To judge provenance, use the nature, origin and purpose of the source. Then write a quick conclusion on which source is more useful and why. WORTH 10 MARKS.

Question 4) You have to briefly describe key features. So a point and a history fact will do for each paragraph. Do three paragraphs to ensure full marks and make sure your facts are specific. If you can't think of three key features, then you can use "why it happened" "what happened" and "what happened after" as a template! WORTH 6 MARKS.

Question 5) You choose 3 options. To ensure 5 marks for each paragraph I'd recommend stating what the event is and including very detailed facts. And then explaining why it is important in depth, and then why it is important on a wider scale i.e. what effect did it have on the cold war. For example, "The Cuban Revolution was the overthrowal of the Cuban Presidant Batista, who had been replaced by Fidel Castro in 1959. The Cuban Revolution had taken place because Batista had ruled over Cuba in a reigh of terror and dictatorship. The Cuban Revolution was important because Cuba had been supported by the USA until Castro - a nationalist turned communist - had become the President. This was important because the USA had realised the growing influence of communism and had tried to retaliate against it in future events i.e. the Bay of Pigs incident in 1961. Also, the Cuban Revolution was important because America had stopped trading with Cuba, which led to Castro seeking an alliance with the USSR." WORTH 15 MARKS.

Question 6) Use the two events that you are given and try to come up with another that is equally significant in the time frame given. You should have three reasons and a conclusion which links and prioritises in order to aim for the highest marks. Each paragraph should consist of a point, history fact, explanation of why it was important, and then link it to the question e.g. whether it improved/worsened relations. In your conclusion, show how all factors contribute to relations changing but then show that one factor is most significant as it started the chain of events that changed relations. Be careful about your SPaG as it can give you an additional 3 marks! WORTH 13 MARKS +3 FOR SPaG.

If you struggle with timing then I really recommend doing questions 5 and 6 first. Don't be too fussed about question 1 if you can't identify points from the source, as they can be quite difficult to point out.I haven't used any online sources for revision but I have however used the Edexcel revision guide which sums everything up quite nicely.

I've learnt more about exam technique reading this than I have from my teacher in a year. Thank you.
aqaedexcelwjec
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by budgetdeficit99)

Question 5) You choose 3 options. To ensure 5 marks for each paragraph I'd recommend stating what the event is and including very detailed facts. And then explaining why it is important in depth, and then why it is important on a wider scale i.e. what effect did it have on the cold war. For example, "The Cuban Revolution was the overthrowal of the Cuban President Batista, who had been replaced by Fidel Castro in 1959. The Cuban Revolution had taken place because Batista had ruled over Cuba in a reigh of terror and dictatorship. The Cuban Revolution was important because Cuba had been supported by the USA until Castro - a nationalist turned communist - had become the President. This was important because the USA had realised the growing influence of communism and had tried to retaliate against it in future events i.e. the Bay of Pigs incident in 1961. Also, the Cuban Revolution was important because America had stopped trading with Cuba, which led to Castro seeking an alliance with the USSR." WORTH 15 MARKS.

thank you sooo much, you're amazing
RachJess4
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
http://www.johndclare.net/ is great for revision! I found it most useful for Germany 1919-1939, but it's also good for Cold War
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Tue, 3 Mar '20
  • University of Bradford
    Postgraduate Open day/Evening Postgraduate
    Tue, 3 Mar '20
  • Queen's University Belfast
    Postgraduate LIVE Masters & PhD Study Fair Postgraduate
    Wed, 4 Mar '20

Do you get study leave?