The Student Room Group

Am I stuck in the UK forever? (First passport woes)

I've been researching for a while and I 100% completely out of options.
I don't have a GP or a dentist (I got a new one a year ago, so he wouldn't have known me for 2 years)
I don't know anybody in a high up job. All my friends work normal jobs. Shops, receptionists, factory work etc etc.

What can I do?

**Edit**
I've contacted my ex-lecturers and none of them have Passports (The countersignatory must have a valid Passport)

**Edit 2**
I hear people with Degrees can sign them. If that is the case does it have to be a degree in something the Government finds "Worthy"? I'm friends with a lot of people that were on the same course as me, we all passed and got our degrees. Could they do it? (The degree is in Games Design)
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by KevHol
I don't have a GP or a dentist (I got a new one a year ago, so he wouldn't have known me for 2 years)
I don't know anybody in a high up job. All my friends work normal jobs. Shops, receptionists, factory work etc etc.

What can I do?

**Edit**
I've contacted my ex-lecturers and none of them have Passports (The countersignatory must have a valid Passport)

**Edit 2**
I hear people with Degrees can sign them. If that is the case does it have to be a degree in something the Government finds "Worthy"? I'm friends with a lot of people that were on the same course as me, we all passed and got our degrees. Could they do it? (The degree is in Games Design)

Surely they don't check how long you've known them or is it too risky?
Original post by KevHol

What can I do?

**Edit**

**Edit 2**

No it can't be anyone with a degree, they have to have a job on this list:
https://www.gov.uk/countersigning-passport-applications

When I needed a countersignatory one of my Mums friends signed
Original post by Valyrian
Surely they don't check how long you've known them or is it too risky?

They ask on the form how long you've know each other for. You're then asked in the interview how long you've know them for and how. (so in my case, it's a friend of mine who I've known for 2 years who is a retired teacher) They have to provide their contact details which are sometimes checked.
Original post by OU Student
They ask on the form how long you've know each other for. You're then asked in the interview how long you've know them for and how. (so in my case, it's a friend of mine who I've known for 2 years who is a retired teacher) They have to provide their contact details which are sometimes checked.

I've never had to go to an interview what?!
Original post by Valyrian
I've never had to go to an interview what?!

You (well, I did) have to go for an interview to prove you're who you say you are. They ask you a load of questions about you about stuff that you should only know. One of these relates to the person who is your countersigner. They asked me for his name, what he does, (or did rather; as he's retired) how I know him and how long for.

Quick Reply

Latest