The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Should inheritance be banished?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by silverbolt
But how would you stop the child being given the money by the parents? And what happens to the property when the parents die?

All property would be traced and audited by the local authority or a central database automatically. If the parents died then proceeds would go to the state. If the person was still a child (up to 21) the state would have a responsibility to them.
Reply 81
Original post by aaronlowe
You've missed the point of this thread which was to explore what it might be like if those rights were different.

Well you can't take away the right to transfer ownership of property during your lifetime. It would also be incredibly difficult to have the human right to own property removed - if you're whole premise is based on an unfeasible situation then it's hardly a debatable subject

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 82
Original post by Wade-
It would also be incredibly difficult to have the human right to own property removed - if you're whole premise is based on an unfeasible situation then it's hardly a debatable subject.

I was not talking about removing the right to own property but about the right to inherit it. The clue is in the title. I wish people would respond to what is written and not some imaginary argument in their head.
Reply 83
I was not talking about removing the right to own property but about the right to inherit it. The clue is in the title. I wish people would respond to what is written and not some imaginary argument in their head.

Within the right to own property is your right to do certain things with it, I would imagine the courts would infer a right to transfer ownership

Posted from TSR Mobile
Should height differences be banished (i.e. cut the legs of taller people)?
Should IQ differences be banished (force brain damage on the smartest)?
Idea came up in another thread. The logic being, if people had to earn their worth from society regardless of who their parents were, then people would cooperate together more and their greed would be more limited.

No because if you're grandparents and parents invested in a house/saved a lot of money, they would like to see that money being put to good use. Yeah you are technically getting stuff off someone else's hard work BUT it's their money, not the governments.

Perhaps my stance would be slightly different if I had no inheritance on my way, but I still want to work hard just like the next guy. And the money/house(s) I inherit will be put to good use - education, holidays, charity and financial security for when I may not have a job.
Reply 86
Ok we've had some people who say no. Can we have some people reply who are willing to explore the idea?
Yes, I believe inheritance should be abolished. This is for a number of reasons:

1) it is fundamentally unfair that some can have significantly better lives as a result of the pure luck of their birth. This is a result of the basic notion of equality of opportunity, which is the essential underpinning of right-wing 'freedom to make the best of yourself' justifications. While we cannot prevent every cause of this easily (for instance, it is not easy to substantially level out the wealth of various parts of the world), abolishing inheritance to children from parents would be one of the things we could do easily (naturally, there are some changes to the laws on inter vivos gifts which would need to be made, but it is definitely possible).
2) while I can just about accept that people would be less motivated to work as hard in a state of equal pay (e.g. equality of outcome), I find it ludicrous to believe that people would be unmotivated to work if they couldn't pass on the benefits to their children, given they could enjoy the benefits themselves.
3) the state distributing money would have a greater net social benefit than it being held by a small number of fortunate children. This presumes a loosely utilitarian view of the world, and I accept that those who reject utilitarianism in its entirety will be unconvinced by this.
4) it encourages the accumulation of family wealth, which is often effectively removed from the economy for periods of time. This is a clear problem economically. That this is the case can be seen by the fact that we have a law against perpetual trusts.
5) on a related note to 1), while you could use the strained concept of desert to justify the acquisition of great amounts of wealth by hardworking individuals, it is impossible to transfer this desert to their children.
Reply 88
Ok we've had some people who say no. Can we have some people reply who are willing to explore the idea?

I think that'll be difficult given its such a ridiculous idea even if it were politically and legally feasible to ban inheritance

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Wade-
Within the right to own property is your right to do certain things with it, I would imagine the courts would infer a right to transfer ownership

The proposal involves nothing new in principle. As it stands, the Government appropriates 40% of one's estate over a certain threshold upon death. The question is simply whether the rate and threshold should be altered, perhaps as far as 100% and £0 respectively.
Reply 90
Yes, I believe inheritance should be abolished. This is for a number of reasons:

1) it is fundamentally unfair that some can have significantly better lives as a result of the pure luck of their birth. This is a result of the basic notion of equality of opportunity, which is the essential underpinning of right-wing 'freedom to make the best of yourself' justifications. While we cannot prevent every cause of this easily (for instance, it is not easy to substantially level out the wealth of various parts of the world), abolishing inheritance to children from parents would be one of the things we could do easily (naturally, there are some changes to the laws on inter vivos gifts which would need to be made, but it is definitely possible).

Well what about those who get lucky to be born with a natural talent for sports or music? Or those people who are fortunate enough to be born in a catchment area of a good school? Or maybe we should peg everyone back so that those who are born with a disadvantage (e.g. a disability of some kind) are on a level playing field.

It's not legally feasible. As well as undoing over a century of common law you would have to modify the HRA 1998, even if it is to be repealed you'd then have to remove the right to own property or remove the right under it to transfer ownership of your property.

2) while I can just about accept that people would be less motivated to work as hard in a state of equal pay (e.g. equality of outcome), I find it ludicrous to believe that people would be unmotivated to work if they couldn't pass on the benefits to their children, given they could enjoy the benefits themselves.

You would likely see people being more frivolous with wealth and buying they're children things that would give them the best chance in life such as private schooling and using connections to get them jobs; that would become even more important. Given that so many wealthy people would find the idea that they have to surrender all of their possessions to the government upon dying they'd likely embark on a race of sorts to blow all of their money before they die. The idea that all of my money would be used to help poor people would make me far less inclined to help them during my lifetime.

4) it encourages the accumulation of family wealth, which is often effectively removed from the economy for periods of time. This is a clear problem economically. That this is the case can be seen by the fact that we have a law against perpetual trusts.

Like you said we have rules of perpetuity so I don't really understand the point you're making, money cannot be removed for too long a time or it would be violated perpetuity and the trust would fail.

5) on a related note to 1), while you could use the strained concept of desert to justify the acquisition of great amounts of wealth by hardworking individuals, it is impossible to transfer this desert to their children.

If I work hard to make money I should be free to give it to whoever I choose, whenever I choose.

Imagine a scenario where a man owns a house and he suddenly dies, his family would be thrown in social housing

Posted from TSR Mobile
Dammit to hell, get your hands out of dead people's pockets. They've paid taxes all their lives and are entitled to leave something to their children or whoever else they choose.
Original post by Wade-
Well what about those who get lucky to be born with a natural talent for sports or music? Or those people who are fortunate enough to be born in a catchment area of a good school? Or maybe we should peg everyone back so that those who are born with a disadvantage (e.g. a disability of some kind) are on a level playing field.

Those are problems, but they're not capable of being solved without causing significant harm to society.

It's not legally feasible. As well as undoing over a century of common law you would have to modify the HRA 1998, even if it is to be repealed you'd then have to remove the right to own property or remove the right under it to transfer ownership of your property.

Not true. I assume you're talking about A1P1, which provides that natural and legal persons are entitled to peaceful enjoyment of their possessions. Whose right are we breaching? The person, now dead, who is incapable of ownership? Clearly the deceased is outside the scope of A1P1. The person who would be entitled to the property under the deceased's will? The interest in the property doesn't pass to them until well after death, so it's not 'their' possessions in question. The right is not engaged.

You would likely see people being more frivolous with wealth and buying they're children things that would give them the best chance in life such as private schooling and using connections to get them jobs; that would become even more important. Given that so many wealthy people would find the idea that they have to surrender all of their possessions to the government upon dying they'd likely embark on a race of sorts to blow all of their money before they die. The idea that all of my money would be used to help poor people would make me far less inclined to help them during my lifetime.

This would actually be a significantly better result than property passing to children. It keeps money moving around the economy. Either way, I don't think people are capable of planning this well enough to have that effect due to the uncertainty of death.

Like you said we have rules of perpetuity so I don't really understand the point you're making, money cannot be removed for too long a time or it would be violated perpetuity and the trust would fail.

The policy behind perpetuity rules is to prevent money and assets being locked up in 'family trusts' - i.e. to prevent families taking a significant amount of useful material out of the economy. This is exactly what happens when the rich inherit.

If I work hard to make money I should be free to give it to whoever I choose, whenever I choose.

This is baseless assertion. I'm asking you to justify why hard work gives rise to a) any desert of anything, and b) the desert specifically to have free usage of property. There is no moral principle that work should be rewarded (though having such a rule in practice may be instrumentally useful for economic stimulation etc).

Imagine a scenario where a man owns a house and he suddenly dies, his family would be thrown in social housing

1) most family homes are co-owned now; 2) any given scheme could provide for this, even by allowing a certain amount of inheritance for those who were dependent upon the deceased.
Reply 93
Original post by TheDefiniteArticle
Those are problems, but they're not capable of being solved without causing significant harm to society.

Removing catchment areas for schools would do no more harm to society that removing the right to pass on your property.

Not true. I assume you're talking about A1P1, which provides that natural and legal persons are entitled to peaceful enjoyment of their possessions. Whose right are we breaching? The person, now dead, who is incapable of ownership? Clearly the deceased is outside the scope of A1P1. The person who would be entitled to the property under the deceased's will? The interest in the property doesn't pass to them until well after death, so it's not 'their' possessions in question. The right is not engaged.

You're breaching my right to assign property. When I buy something I buy ownership of it forever - by restricting me from passing it on you infringe my right to own property because you are essentially saying I don't own it I'm simply leasing it for my lifetime and then when I die the government, who at no point hold an equitable or legal interest over the property, will receive it.

This would actually be a significantly better result than property passing to children. It keeps money moving around the economy. Either way, I don't think people are capable of planning this well enough to have that effect due to the uncertainty of death.

Well most people will assume they'll live to a certain age. Spending money quickly before you die is not unheard of Rockefeller and Carnegie both did it.

The policy behind perpetuity rules is to prevent money and assets being locked up in 'family trusts' - i.e. to prevent families taking a significant amount of useful material out of the economy. This is exactly what happens when the rich inherit.

Because of perpetuity money cannot remain tied up for a particularly long time, this rule prevents money and property being hoarded.

This is baseless assertion. I'm asking you to justify why hard work gives rise to a) any desert of anything, and b) the desert specifically to have free usage of property. There is no moral principle that work should be rewarded (though having such a rule in practice may be instrumentally useful for economic stimulation etc).

Because you are doing something you don't have to do, as reward for that you get paid and use that money to buy property. So long as you do not directly harm anyone with your usage of property why should you be restricted? Well clearly we disagree on morals.

1) most family homes are co-owned now; 2) any given scheme could provide for this, even by allowing a certain amount of inheritance for those who were dependent upon the deceased.

Yes they are but there are still plenty of family homes that aren't. Well by creating loopholes you defeat your entire point because solicitors will be able to use those to help the rich

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Wade-
Removing catchment areas for schools would do no more harm to society that removing the right to pass on your property.

I also support the removal of catchment areas for schools (and, for what it's worth, the removal of private schools).

You're breaching my right to assign property. When I buy something I buy ownership of it forever - by restricting me from passing it on you infringe my right to own property because you are essentially saying I don't own it I'm simply leasing it for my lifetime and then when I die the government, who at no point hold an equitable or legal interest over the property, will receive it.

Not really. Let's look at what happens at the moment. If someone dies intestate with no heirs, the property passes to the Crown as bona vacantia. It is also the case that public policy excludes certain classes from inheriting (e.g. those who killed the deceased). All I'm suggesting is that the class who are excluded be extended to all persons. Furthermore, the transfer of property by will isn't really assignment.

You might have an argument as regards the measures restricting transfers inter vivos that would need to be implemented for this to work, but first, it should be noted that inheritance tax is already payable on certain gifts made during one's lifetime, even outside the seven-year threshold. There is no rational distinction in terms of the effect on your right to assign between charging n% tax and 100% tax where n<100. I'm also not certain that the right to assign is necessary for A1P1 to be satisfied. Admittedly, I haven't (and don't have time to) look in it in any great depth, but it's definitely possible to imagine a legal system with hard limits on assignment which still allowed personal enjoyment of property.

Well most people will assume they'll live to a certain age. Spending money quickly before you die is not unheard of Rockefeller and Carnegie both did it.

This is true, but it would still be significantly less certain than passing it down to legatees, and I maintain this is a better situation than their money being inherited.

Because of perpetuity money cannot remain tied up for a particularly long time, this rule prevents money and property being hoarded.

This is exactly what a limit on inheritance does.

Because you are doing something you don't have to do, as reward for that you get paid and use that money to buy property.

I'm treating this and the next point separately as they are logically distinct. First, you've missed the point here, I'm asking you to explain why this reward must/should exist outside of instrumental justifications (i.e. considerations of motivation to work). Secondly, I don't see any reason why the content of the reward has to be monetary compensation. Thirdly, why does the idea of ownership of property necessarily have to include a right to assignment, especially assignment for no valuable consideration?

So long as you do not directly harm anyone with your usage of property why should you be restricted?

By using property in any way which involves a net social opportunity cost, you are harming people with your use of property.

Well by creating loopholes you defeat your entire point because solicitors will be able to use those to help the rich

This is a drafting problem. I don't see an easy way around a legislated-for hard limit on inflation-adjusted inheritance of £x, with a register kept of all inheritances. It's not a loophole so much as an exception.
sperm lottery is the best lottery brah.
Reply 96
I also support the removal of catchment areas for schools (and, for what it's worth, the removal of private schools).

Not really. Let's look at what happens at the moment. If someone dies intestate with no heirs, the property passes to the Crown as bona vacantia. It is also the case that public policy excludes certain classes from inheriting (e.g. those who killed the deceased). All I'm suggesting is that the class who are excluded be extended to all persons. Furthermore, the transfer of property by will isn't really assignment.

You might have an argument as regards the measures restricting transfers inter vivos that would need to be implemented for this to work, but first, it should be noted that inheritance tax is already payable on certain gifts made during one's lifetime, even outside the seven-year threshold. There is no rational distinction in terms of the effect on your right to assign between charging n% tax and 100% tax where n<100. I'm also not certain that the right to assign is necessary for A1P1 to be satisfied. Admittedly, I haven't (and don't have time to) look in it in any great depth, but it's definitely possible to imagine a legal system with hard limits on assignment which still allowed personal enjoyment of property.

This is true, but it would still be significantly less certain than passing it down to legatees, and I maintain this is a better situation than their money being inherited.

This is exactly what a limit on inheritance does.

I'm treating this and the next point separately as they are logically distinct. First, you've missed the point here, I'm asking you to explain why this reward must/should exist outside of instrumental justifications (i.e. considerations of motivation to work). Secondly, I don't see any reason why the content of the reward has to be monetary compensation. Thirdly, why does the idea of ownership of property necessarily have to include a right to assignment, especially assignment for no valuable consideration?

By using property in any way which involves a net social opportunity cost, you are harming people with your use of property.

This is a drafting problem. I don't see an easy way around a legislated-for hard limit on inflation-adjusted inheritance of £x, with a register kept of all inheritances. It's not a loophole so much as an exception.

To be honest I'm quite bored of this debate; equity has always been a topic I've found particularly dry. The simple fact is you cannot remove a persons right to transfer the ownership of their property on a moral level because that will be implying that you merely have a long lease on property you buy. Even if it were morally acceptable it's not legally feasible, any law you could pass would have to allow for loopholes so that poorer people where not prevented from keeping property and those loopholes would be exploited by the countries top solicitors as all loopholes are. Secondly to that you would likely have a lot of trouble with the CJEU

Posted from TSR Mobile
If it is to be scrapped, how do you propose it be redistributed? Allow the government to get their grubby, clammy hands on it(they already get a bit of it). The government proves time and time again that they have no idea how to use money so I wouldn't want money my parents worked darn hard for going to into the Queen's coffers to be mis-spent(another bank bailout wouldn't shock me in the next 20 years). I personally believe that the way people use their inheritance needs to be changed. If you inherit significant amounts of money, they could perhaps be more philanthropic with it, actually use the money to do something. See that's the thing, you can't tell people to give up what they have worked hard for otherwise what would be the point of working hard to earn. I understand your argument, don't get me wrong but I think that you're living in a bit of whimsical dream where we would all give away our inheritances to help the poor and disadvantaged. Sadly, the system would NEVER work like that simply for the fact that the government is the middle man(a bit of an un-necessary middle man) who will take the majority and urinate it down the drain. I do think people should be more philanthropic though(I for one when I am older will write it into a will that some of the inheritance goes to good causes)
Original post by Wade-
To be honest I'm quite bored of this debate; equity has always been a topic I've found particularly dry. The simple fact is you cannot remove a persons right to transfer the ownership of their property on a moral level because that will be implying that you merely have a long lease on property you buy. Even if it were morally acceptable it's not legally feasible, any law you could pass would have to allow for loopholes so that poorer people where not prevented from keeping property and those loopholes would be exploited by the countries top solicitors as all loopholes are. Secondly to that you would likely have a lot of trouble with the CJEU

Rights do not exist outside the law. As for the legal feasibility point, it can be effected by making big changes to the rules on inter vivos gifts, substantial reforms to consideration rules and by making the rule itself pretty clear and subject to registration. I'm not sure on what ground you think this is contrary to EU law.
Reply 99
Rights do not exist outside the law. As for the legal feasibility point, it can be effected by making big changes to the rules on inter vivos gifts, substantial reforms to consideration rules and by making the rule itself pretty clear and subject to registration. I'm not sure on what ground you think this is contrary to EU law.

Because unfortunately we have to consider the rules of the EU whenever we make changes to our law. The EU is likely to accede the ECHR soon and given the importance they place on individual rights and the free market the right to property would likely be enhanced.

You can't say it's a straightforward or legally feasible idea to undo over 150 years of common law by making one sweeping statute. It would also be highly immoral to place such a restriction on the right of consenting and aware adults to freely contract by imposing draconian rules on consideration.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending