The Student Room Group

How much do you forget driving manual after driving automatic?

It's been 10 months since I passed my test and I've been driving in an automatic. I didnt plan on buying one specifically but it just happened.

I was thinking of going to a dealership to test drive some cars as I may change car when my 1yr of insurance is up. How nervous should I be that I've not driven a manual since I passed my test? I don't want to come out of the dealership, go onto the A** and stall or something stupid when I come off it.

Is it as unforgettable as riding a bicycle?
My mum uses an auto for her daily driver, but drives a manual occasionally too at the weekend, setting off she's fine but when she's coming to a stop she forgets to clutch in, although normally corrects it before she stalls. The other thing is she forgets to downshift after slowing down, although her manual is a land rover defender so it pulls in pretty much any gear, however if your test driving less tourqey car then it could be an issue. I'm sure you'll be fine setting off, it's just you'll be in the habit of not clutching in when stopping probably
Just give it a go. I spent a few months driving an auto and jumped into a manual at Christmas and didn't even think about it, but I've been driving for 10 years now. You might be the same, you might not. One way to find out...
Reply 3
You'll be fine.
After driving the auto for 2 months, when I hopped back in the manual I was a bit slow at changing gears, but you soon get the hang of it after a day.
It is similar to riding a bicycle, you don't really forget just you might not be as good with it.

After driving electric and automatics all of last year, recently drove a VW Sharan while on holiday. Just a couple of times where I forgot it had a clutch paddle :biggrin:
Reply 6
I had been driving for about 6 months, manul the whole time, when I went on holiday abroad for 2 months. During that time I drive only an automatic RR Sport, and transitioned easily back to manual cars when I returned home.

Of course, this is a short period of time, but it's just my personal experience :smile:
I drive an auto atm as it's my mums car (she never drives so practically given it to me), I did learn in a diesel and so would need to be used to a petrol when I get a manual, as I find driving my GF's manual petrol trickier at starting smoothly and stall it a bit, however that said it's like riding a bike, it's not complicated enough to forget tbh, some alone time (lol) to get used to the biting point and it'll be fine.
Reply 8
Original post by thisistheend
It's been 10 months since I passed my test and I've been driving in an automatic. I didnt plan on buying one specifically but it just happened.

I was thinking of going to a dealership to test drive some cars as I may change car when my 1yr of insurance is up. How nervous should I be that I've not driven a manual since I passed my test? I don't want to come out of the dealership, go onto the A** and stall or something stupid when I come off it.

Is it as unforgettable as riding a bicycle?

I went from spending 2.5 years or more learning to drive in a manual, and then driving a manual, to then suddenly going to drive an auto for a day....

Granted it was only for one day, and it was manual-auto not vice versa, but generally speaking I didn't find it difficult, all I had to do was keep my left leg pinned up to the seat... otherwise it had a tedency to reach for the brake pedal (as i'm used to operating a clutch left footed) and hitting the brake pedal thinking it was a clutch.... once I started using one foot to work both pedals it became so much easier.

I'm now back to driving a manual again and I very much prefer it.
Reply 9
Just remember to use your left leg and left arm... I test drove a manual that is after using automatic for a year or two. Was fine until i had to stop and park. Stalled it as forgot about the clutch. I am sure you will be ok.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending