Austria
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi guys,
i am new to the forum and looking for some opinions regarding my course choice for an MSc this year.

short background info:
1. BSc International Business Austrian German university (2nd upper)
2. >1 year work experience in Banking and Consulting.
3. interested to go into management consulting
4. I really consider to do a PhD afterwards.

The Universities:

- Grenoble Ecole de Management (Master in international Business, Paris Campus)
- Durham (Master in Management / Business Ethics)
- Bath
- Edinburgh
- St. Andrews

Location doesnt play a role for me. All Universities in London like LSE, Imprial... are just to expensive for me.

I want a MSc at a globally recognized school with top career service and professional development.

Thanks for any feedback !
LadyBugMery
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If you are planning to do a PhD, career service is irrelevant. Do your msc where you feel like doing your PhD, so preferably better brand names. In terms of academic quality Bath, Durham and Grenoble are slightly better than the rest, but I would still try to target top unis in London and the Mphil in Management Research at Cambridge, because they have better phd programs.
smgoel
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi i have got the offers from bath school of management, bristol university, warwick business school and cass business school .I want to pursue masters in management. Being an international student I dont have much idea about universities and their overall ranking. Please help me in deciding the best university .
LadyBugMery
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Warwick and Cass are above the rest in terms of reputation
smgoel
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by LadyBugMery)
Warwick and Cass are above the rest in terms of reputation
Hi
Thanks for your inputs . I agree both are hood b schools However I don't see cass in any rankings in top 50 .
LadyBugMery
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
They are for business schools rankings (e.g. Financial Times ranking)
Alicest
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hello. I am currently doing my Msc in Management (Finance) in Durham. I am an international student too, and london schools were too expensive for me too. So I chose Durham because has one of the best rankings in Management in UK (5th or 6th I think) and it is also affordable in terms of fees (Accommodation is a bit overpriced). Overall I am happy with my choice, my only hint for you would be to consider a possible overlap with your previous courses in your bachelor degree. This Master has 4 classes of management 101 (but it gets pretty tough for those without business school experience) such as Organizational Behaviour, Economics, Accounting and Strategy. Personally I was super bored with these classes, coming from a business school myself. Second semester is far more interesting and challenging for every management programme in Durham. There is even a "consulting" optional module, which would look great on your CV. Regarding the phd opportunities I am not very informed on the subject. Bath and Edinbrough, while they have a really good reputation too, they are not doing so well ranking wise, compared to Durham. Finally, I would recommend my own course (Management with Finance) as more ideal for a consultng carrer, but Business Ethics could be more intersting for you as a person.
I hope that I helped you somehow with this complex decision. Good Luck
jpt4749
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by smgoel)
Hi i have got the offers from bath school of management, bristol university, warwick business school and cass business school .I want to pursue masters in management. Being an international student I dont have much idea about universities and their overall ranking. Please help me in deciding the best university .
LoL What a nice joke ... boasting about Warwick again. Rubbish Uni that accepts a Moron but rejects a lot of well-qualified people.
Abhyank
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hey there...

Well to be honest, for Masters in Management, the top b schools in the UK are LBS, LSE, Imperial, Cass. After this, comes Warwick, Bath, Manchester and Durham. Being an international student myself, who has done his MIM from one of the top MIM porgrammes-ESCP Europe, i can suggest out of the schools you mentioned, Grenoble can be a good choice . Grenoble is a pretty respected school in France and has good employer connections. It has multiple campuses across the globe and currently ranks 13th in the prestigious FT MIM Ranking.

Besides, UK is suffering from immigration-related issues, thereby making it difficult for graduates to find a job in UK post graduation. So you may want to check on that. Plus, France is also having a stable economy with a good VISA and post study work scheme in place that allows students to leverage the degrees full potential and engage themselves in full time employment.

If you are only considering the UK then Durham can be a good choice, it has a good reputation and an established curriculum.

Regarding curriculum and teaching, Since MIM is more theoretical based, the quality of the programme will be more or less same in all schools, so basically look at other varying issues such as brand, post grad situation and so on.

In order to find more about MIM in UK, visit http://www.mim-essay.com/msc-in-management-uk/

Or if you want to assess your chances at your dream target schools, get a free profile evaluation done at www.mim-essay.com/mim-profile-evaluation/
All the best.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (52)
60.47%
No (34)
39.53%

Watched Threads