Sophia_xx
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
A game is played with a token on a board with a grid printed on it. The token starts at the point (0, 0) and moves in steps. Each step is either 1 unit in the positive x-direction with probability 0.8, or 1 unit in the positive y-direction with probability 0.2. The token stops when it reaches a point with a y-coordinate of 1. It is given that the token stops at (X, 1).
(i) (a) Find the probability that X = 10.
(b) Find the probability that X < 10.
(ii) Find the expected number of steps taken by the token.
(iii) Hence, write down the value of E( X ).

I dont understand the question or how to work out any of the solutions please can somebody help me ? !

I especially dont understand part b)
TSR Jessica
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses.

I'm going to quote in Puddles the Monkey now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :yy:

Spoiler:
Show
(Original post by Puddles the Monkey)
x
buckeybarnes
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It's only guesswork because I'm not a stats prodigy or anything lol

ia. i would expect this to be 0.8^10 or smth? because it must move in the x-direction 10 times before it moves in the y-direction, so I would expect something reminiscent of a geometric distribution with Geo(0.8) idk?
b. unsure, but it would mean that the counter had moved in the y-direction before 10 moves in the x-direction had occurred, the only way i could process this is to add all of x=0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 together, idk if that'd take too long it'd be like- (0.2)+(0.2x0.8)+(0.2x0.8^2)... etc until (0.2x0.8^9) i think idk
ii. expected number of steps i would guess would just be 8? because you have an 8/10 chance of going in the x-direction until you are expected to roll a y and stop.
iii. idk sorry its a weird af question

please dont take this as the answer this is just guesswork, is there a mark scheme hidden anywhere? would be good if we could read it and see the real answers
buckeybarnes
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
wait im wrong sorry that mark scheme makes no sense tho tough paper
buckeybarnes
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
only needed 75% 54/72 for an A thought i guess thats a bit reassuring lol
micycle
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
ai) 0.8^10*0.2 = 0.0215
bi) What buckey suggested, or use sum to n of a geometric series with a= 0.2, r= 0.8, n=10. (=0.8926)
bii) We stop when we get a y. This assuredly will happen after 0.2^-1 = 5 attempts.
biii) We land on 0.2 on the fifth go so this is the final step. Therefore beforehand we covered 4 X units, so = 4.

These could be wrong.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What's worrying you most about starting back at school/college this year?

The potential for Covid to keep disrupting things (109)
14.53%
My mental health (110)
14.67%
Feeling behind academically (142)
18.93%
Making friends/social anxiety (135)
18%
How to organise myself (25)
3.33%
How to revise/study effectively (89)
11.87%
Future career, uni, pathway planning and applications (125)
16.67%
Something else - let us know in the thread (15)
2%

Watched Threads