The Student Room Group

curley's wife essay help

the question is explore the presentation of curleys wife
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Try to involve context in the question answer, so how curleys wife represents the women on the ranches in 1940s America and how their life would have been, and the American Dream (shown when she tells Lennie of her ambitions and dreams). You could also perhaps talk about how she is never given an actual name which shows how women where insignificant in the time etc

it just depends on what the question is asking
Well what exactly is the question for the essay?
what is the question you are trying to answer as this is kinda important if you want help

it being on curleys wife means it could be quite a few things....
Not sure what the focus of the essay is, since you haven't given a title to the essay.
However, you could talk about the colour of her dress and the fact that the 'red' may signify forthcoming danger.
Or, the fact that she is only ever referred to as 'Curley's wife' , which highlights the fact that women in the 1940's were considered the property of their husbands, and thus underlines the gender inequality of that time.

May be a little rusty as I haven't studied this for two years, but I hope this has helped a little.
you may want to use the quote about her having ostrich feathers on her shoes ... as ostriches are flightless birds and her life is pretty flightless now, also if it is on loneliness she is lonely as in the time it was set 40's to 50's her role was to be a housewife and also she is the only women on the farm....

Depending on the question again, you may want to mention the American dream which is a cyclical structure
Reply 6
thanks
for all the help.... The question is explore the presentation of curleys wife
"cut off the light", one of the main quotes related to her. It could be linked to how she is presented as dangerous and risky and stuff with words such as "red" or "rouge" which relates to passion and sexuality also blood and conflict. There was also the scene when George told Lennie to stay away from her because she would bring danger or something.

There's also an alternative interpretation of her being innocent with her being described with the word "girl" in the beginning. It was especially highlighted in the barn scene where she was dead.

The fact that she was also described with a word like, I'm not sure what it was but it was something like a home wrecker or something.
Reply 8
Original post by Firenze26
"cut off the light", one of the main quotes related to her. It could be linked to how she is presented as dangerous and risky and stuff with words such as "red" or "rouge" which relates to passion and sexuality also blood and conflict. There was also the scene when George told Lennie to stay away from her because she would bring danger or something.

There's also an alternative interpretation of her being innocent with her being described with the word "girl" in the beginning. It was especially highlighted in the barn scene where she was dead.

The fact that she was also described with a word like, I'm not sure what it was but it was something like a home wrecker or something.

Thank you I will add this in what grade would you give this even tho its not finished ? 😉
Original post by sanu1999
Thank you I will add this in what grade would you give this even tho its not finished ? 😉

I'd give it an A, maybe even an A*. You added context, loads of quotes, analysis, language devices and alternative interpretations. I can't really say anything else but it's going well so far.

Just be careful with quotes, punctuation and stuff because you forgot to show that you quoted "trap" when you were analysing it. And maybe instead of saying "clearly mirrors that women were treated as objects", say "clearly mirrors the idea at the time that women were objects", I dunno, maybe that's just me. Maybe
this is all I have got so far using the amazing feedback you have given me.....pls give me a feedback and a suitable grade...

In the the period of 1930s America, men were considered higher than women even using the reference ”household slave” fits the title of women perfectly in 1930. In addition, women were treated with no value only merely as a sexual object and as a housewife. In his novel of “Of Mice and Men”, Steinbeck uses Curley's wife to present this idea of being a possession of one’s leading to isolation therefore leading to loneliness. Curley’s wife is a representation of how women are treated in 1930’s America. Moreover, Steinbeck's technique of not giving Curley's wife a name clearly mirrors that women are treated like a object, causing the reader to maybe sympathise her or women of that period. Perhaps, he uses Curley's wife in this, to voice his opinion of a fair and equal world where everyone should be treated of equal importance- regardless of gender.

In this novel, Steinbeck, on a hint of positivity, introduces the novel with two friends George and Lennie, who “took him as a baby and raised him up”. Perhaps, Steinbeck constructs Aunt Clara as an idealised portrayal of a homemaker who shows concern to the childlike of Lennie’s welfare. Maybe, he is implying the message to the reader that not all women are a nasty piece of work. In this case, she provided the love and care a big man with a innocent heart needed. In contrast to Aunt Clara is Curley’s wife who is considered to be “a rat trap”. Further more, the verb trap can indicate trapping men. Or on the other hand, Steinbeck could have used this word to foreshadow a sense of trouble; an event that might occur to Curley’s wife leading the culprit into trouble. The word “Rat” is also used with the word “trap”. “Rat” is an animal, at the beginning Steinbeck referred to Lennie as a “bear”. “Bear” is an animal perhaps this could suggest that Lennie could be in potential danger maybe with Curley’s wife. Further details such as most of the men in the novel portrays Curley's wife as “poison” or knows to “keep away from her” but George admits to Slim that Lennie knows “no rules”. So Steinbeck presents women in two ways: a selfless domestic goddess like Aunt Clara or alternatively, a tart like Curley's wife.

On a deeper level, danger is highlighted in the way Curley's wife represents herself: “red mules”, “red ostrich feathers”, “red fingernails”. Significantly,the author has used a repetition of the colour “red”. Moreover, this repetition may possibly be used to tell a message to the reader. The more and more the adjective “red” is repeated, the more and more of importance the colour becomes to us. On one layer “red” could mean love since red is symbolized as the colour of love. This could be love to curley as she is Curley's possession or make love because Curley has a “glove fulla vaseline” which he saves particularly for his ‘wife’. On the other hand, “red” can symbolize ‘danger’. Again Steinbeck is portraying danger. Although Curley’s wife is not the only women in Steinbeck's novel who was wearing red. Even though mentioned very vaguely in the book, the girl at Weed who wears a red dress is significant to the fact that Steinbeck is building the climax or giving small hints to the reader and foreshadowing danger at the the very beginning. Because Lennie touched the girl’s red dress ( without any intention) this caused the two friends to get into trouble. This could lead to, possibly, Steinbeck trying to tell us that Lennie and George might be in trouble because Curley’s wife is wearing red all over or similarly have danger written all over her

It's very descriptive, an A. You need more evaluation and y the writer dud this. U need originality and make sure u not repeating ur self. Also context Isbetter to make after point than starring essay off with context. But good piece high A

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by Firenze26
I'd give it an A, maybe even an A*. You added context, loads of quotes, analysis, language devices and alternative interpretations. I can't really say anything else but it's going well so far.

Just be careful with quotes, punctuation and stuff because you forgot to show that you quoted "trap" when you were analysing it. And maybe instead of saying "clearly mirrors that women were treated as objects", say "clearly mirrors the idea at the time that women were objects", I dunno, maybe that's just me. Maybe

thank you ... no that's a better sentence than mine thanks....
Reply 12
Original post by Asad_2015
It's very descriptive, an A. You need more evaluation and y the writer dud this. U need originality and make sure u not repeating ur self. Also context Isbetter to make after point than starring essay off with context. But good piece high A

Posted from TSR Mobile

thank you ok i will consider it for next time :smile:
I've uploaded my essay on a thread I created, that might help :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by Lemauricien
I've uploaded my essay on a thread I created, that might help :smile:

thanks whats the essays title name?
thanks whats the essays title name?

OMAM Curly's wife essay, ive included a link if that's of any use

http:/www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3339283
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by Lemauricien
OMAM Curly's wife essay, ive included a link if that's of any use

http:/www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3339283

thank you, that was great help
Hi :smile: I think we're doing this controlled assessment next term too. Is this for aqa eng lang?

When I get my essay title and I start to formulate some ideas, I can pm you but it might be a bit of time yet

In the mean time I agree with the feedback you've been given, your paragraph is really good and youve analysed language well. To improve you could work on bringing in an original interpretation.
Reply 18
Original post by _ariane29
Hi :smile: I think we're doing this controlled assessment next term too. Is this for aqa eng lang?

When I get my essay title and I start to formulate some ideas, I can pm you but it might be a bit of time yet

In the mean time I agree with the feedback you've been given, your paragraph is really good and youve analysed language well. To improve you could work on bringing in an original interpretation.

This is for eng. Lit its for revision for my mock .... Thank you tho u can still pm me... Um how could I bring in original interpretation? 😉
This is for eng. Lit its for revision for my mock .... Thank you tho u can still pm me... Um how could I bring in original interpretation? 😉

Oh okay, that's totally fine :h: Well when you have a quote think about how you can put an original twist on its interpretations. Are there any deeper meanings as to why Curleys wife wears red, does it foreshadow the danger she is about to invoke? And is there some greater symbolism as to why the light is cut off when she enters, aside from just the obvious 'she is a barrier to the ranch workers obtaining their dream.' Remember you can be crazy in your interpretations as long as you keep them justified by using textual quotations, which you do really well.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending