Questions about the EU referendum.

Watch
SausageMan
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
What would happen if Gibraltar voted to stay in the EU but was forced of out the EU by the rest of the UK? Would there be a treaty for Gibraltar similar to Greenland and Denmark treaty, allowing Gibraltar to stay in the EU. While RUK leaves? If this were to be the case for Gibraltar, could the same go for Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales?

http://www.cvce.eu/en/unit-content/-...76bc/Resources

http://www.chronicle.gi/headlines_details.php?id=35955
Ace123
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by SausageMan)
What would happen if Gibraltar voted to stay in the EU but was forced of out the EU by the rest of the UK? Would there be a treaty for Gibraltar similar to Greenland and Denmark treaty, allowing Gibraltar to stay in the EU. While RUK leaves? If this were to be the case for Gibraltar, could the same go for Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales?

http://www.cvce.eu/en/unit-content/-...76bc/Resources

http://www.chronicle.gi/headlines_details.php?id=35955
The Greenland treaty was a treaty detailing the terms of how Greenland was to quit the EU because Greenland had separated from Denmark and the people voted to leave. The treaty classes Greenland as overseas countries & territories but that is only because it is still linked with Denmark & Denmark is still an EU member. Other nations with this agreement are e.g.Belgian Congo, French Togoland but they derive this right from Belgium & France being in the EU. If the UK quit UK nations or dependencies won't get that

The vote is UK wide so the UK as a whole will vote and decided for all UK nations and dependencies so an Out vote would withdraw everyone, Scotland, wales, Northern Ireland & England cannot individually rejoin the EU unless they become independent countries so would have to declare independence from the UK. Also Gibralatar is bound by UK membership so would leave as well & our defined as British citizens in the EU so cannot quit or stay on their own
nulli tertius
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Ace123)
The Greenland treaty was a treaty detailing the terms of how Greenland was to quit the EU because Greenland had separated from Denmark and the people voted to leave. The treaty classes Greenland as overseas countries & territories but that is only because it is still linked with Denmark & Denmark is still an EU member. Other nations with this agreement are e.g.Belgian Congo, French Togoland but they derive this right from Belgium & France being in the EU. If the UK quit UK nations or dependencies won't get that

The vote is UK wide so the UK as a whole will vote and decided for all UK nations and dependencies so an Out vote would withdraw everyone, Scotland, wales, Northern Ireland & England cannot individually rejoin the EU unless they become independent countries so would have to declare independence from the UK. Also Gibralatar is bound by UK membership so would leave as well & our defined as British citizens in the EU so cannot quit or stay on their own
The EU has an almost limitless capacity for special arrangements and there is little to stop the Uk and EU entering into an arrangement by which Gibraltar has quasi-EU membership.

Posted from TSR Mobile
gladders
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I don't think this would apply in this referendum. This referendum is about whether the UK votes to remain in the EU or not. There is no question of whether a portion of the UK or its dependencies could stay in or out.

That would require a second referendum on that explicit question.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (242)
57.62%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (54)
12.86%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (46)
10.95%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (36)
8.57%
I haven't started researching yet (24)
5.71%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
4.29%

Watched Threads