Hungarian uprising 1956 (cold war) Watch

beckalina1999
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
this event really confuses me and i dont understand the order of ecents, what caused them and the results. If anyone could fill me in on any of these details it would help a lot! thanks

(edexcel history gcse)5s
asmiff
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
HungaryWhy· Standard ofliving – there were food shortages which many blamed on the new collectivefarming. Industrial workers were poorly paid and saw many goods shipped off tothe USSR· Education –Soviet control of education meant that children were taught a communist versionof history that ignore Hungary’s close links with Western Europe.· Censorship –There was no freedom of expression. The Government controlled the press,theatre, art and music· Religion –Hungarians were strongly Christian but Communists discouraged religious beliefand penalized the Catholic Church. Its leader Cardinal Minszenty wasimprisoned.· SecretPolice – They hated State Protection Group (AVO) used terror and torture tosuppress criticism of the Government, Communism or the USSR· Stalin diedin 1953, and was replaced by Khrushchev, who was more allowing, so the peoplewanted freedom and hope developed· Hungary hada brutal dictator, Rakozi, who was a strong communist and was very unpopularbut was replaced by Nagy· Peopledidn’t like how Hungary was ruled by Rakozi· 1956 Jan =secret speech and gave hope for change· July 1956,revolt in Poland against the communist leader Gomulka, led to allowances andchange for the Polish people – more freedom· Thisencouraged the people of Hungary to get what they want by causing a revolt· October1956, rebellion in Hungary against the Communist rule· They weren’thappy and were given hopeWhat· The revolutionwas between the Soviet secret police and the communist verses the capitalists· Nagy makesthe situation worse as he talks about freedom and breaking the Warsaw Pact –Khrushchev disagreed strongly· This meantthe defence alliance will start crumbling as other countries will pull out anddestroy the buffer zone· There was aperiod of five days were there was celebration in Hungary ten Khrushchevdecided to send in tanks again and end it· Oppositionends in November 1956· Brutalattacks from the tanksSo What?· 30,000Hungarians were killed· 200,000 fleeHungary mainly to Austria – Western and capitalist· Deliberatelybrutal to send a message to ther countries not to break the Warsaw Pact· Soviet rulewas re-established in Hungary and Eastern Europe· Americadidn’t react as Hungary was already communist which was not covered under theTruman Doctrine§ If it was itwould have invaded§ That wouldescalate quickly§ But Americadid criticise the happenings· Hungaryshows Khrushchev is not after a mini thaw which was beginning to happen in1953, and like Stalin· Nagy wasexecuted

-Hope this helps, x
beckalina1999
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
thank you that was amazing
SalvadorMendes
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Could you please explain that in a little less detail, that would;d be really awesome as I need to write small bullet points and I can't really spot any small ones that I could put in revision cards.
noctem
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by SalvadorMendes)
Could you please explain that in a little less detail, that would;d be really awesome as I need to write small bullet points and I can't really spot any small ones that I could put in revision cards.
Right:

Hungary suffered under the rule of the soviet union. Some of the food and industrial products were shipped off to Russia, and their standard of living was quite poor. The Hungarian leader Rakosi was widely disliked as his way of rule was harsh.

Through 1947-1953 Rakosi kept 'control' through:
-secret police
-terror
-censorship
-comecon

In 1956, after poor harvests and bread shortages, the Hungarian population began to revolt; they destroyed statues of Stalin and attacked the local communists.
When Stalin died, Malenkov/Khrushchev replace Rakosi with Imre Nagy, who was much more liberal in hopes that it would deescalate the situation.

Nagy proposed these reforms:
-Hungary would leave the Warsaw pact and become neutral
-Hungary would have free elections, meaning no more Communist Government.
-Hungary would gain protection against the Soviets from the UN.

Khrushchev felt threatened by this as he feared that one country leaving the Warsaw pact would cause the others to follow suit. He thought communist rule was under threat, and used the slaughtering of Hungarian Communists as propaganda against Nagy.

On the 4th of November 1956, Khrushchev sent 200000 Soviet troops into Hungary to depose Nagy. Over 5000 Hungarians were killed. Nagy was arrested and executed, as a warning to other countries that they should not try to rebel. He was replaced with Janos Kadar, who imposed a modified form of communist rule which was begrudgingly accepted by the Hungarians, as they were aware that they would not get help from the US.

Reactions and consequences:
-UN condemmed the USSR's actions.
-Some countries boycotted the 1956 Olympics.
-The USA did accept refugees and supported the Hungarians with money and aid, but did not send military troops as that would risk nuclear war.
-Satellite states recognised that the USA would not fully defend them against the Soviet union so they did not try to revolt and Soviet control tightened.

Might not be helpful, take from it what you will. That's the whole of it, though.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (190)
12.75%
Excited (123)
8.26%
Worried (279)
18.72%
Terrified (343)
23.02%
Meh (123)
8.26%
Confused (35)
2.35%