IftekharAhad
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi,
I'm in Year 9 and I've just completed choosing my GCSE options. The subjects I have chosen are listed below:
Chemistry (Triple Science)
Biology (Triple Science)
Physics (Triple Science)
Mathematics
English Literature
English Language
History
Business Studies
Computing
Spanish

Please comment if these subjects are good and the pros and cons and also if it is possible to get an A* in all of these subjects. (I'm aiming for 10 A* ) I wanna hear from people who've done these subjects.

Thanks.
Elizabeth II
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by IftekharAhad)
Hi,
I'm in Year 9 and I've just completed choosing my GCSE options. The subjects I have chosen are listed below:
Biology (Triple Science)
Physics (Triple Science)
Mathematics
English Literature
English Language
History
Business Studies
Computing
Spanish

Please comment if these subjects are good and the pros and cons and also if it is possible to get an A* in all of these subjects. (I'm aiming for 10 A* ) I wanna hear from people who've done these subjects.

Thanks.
Triple Science: That’s fine, a little bit of work — but fine. Simple enough if you put the effort in.
Maths: compulsory — again, just need to put your work into it and you’ll do well.
English Lit: Pretty good! You’ll analyse poems and short stories and quite possibly a book too — at least that’s what I did. Pretty simple but you have to pay attention and *again* put work into it.
English Lang: One of my favourites. Language analysis from texts, learning to construct and write essays effectively, improving your vocabulary, etc.
History: Awfully difficult imo. Especially if it’s the OCR course. Very specific, lots and lots of content you have to learn.
Business: Very easy - some things are common sense.
Computing: a bit tricky, but if you’re interested in that sort of thing, you’ll be fine — the coursework is a little annoying but apart from that it’s a nice course.
Spanish: I find this to be one of my favourites, I take French too. Simple and if you’re good at English or languages however this year the test was a lot harder than they have ever been before.

Of course, you can get an A* in all of these. Don’t be upset if you don’t, A*-C is absolutely fine.

Good luck.
pixiejoanna
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hey I'm taking my GCSE's at the moment and its going to be a lot of hard work to get A*'s in all your subjects, however if your are hard-working and dedicated it should be fine

Triple Science- It can be hard at times, I find physics a bit tricky but it totally depends on you. There is nothing you can't not get your head around

English Lit and Lang- To be honest, I got an A* in my mocks for both and literally all I did was read through the mark scheme for language and the books for lit.

Spanish- It depends whether you take the iGCSE because this is very difficult and many people I know take it in combination with French as there are cross links or end up getting a tutor for support.

Business- super easy.

Computing- It depends whether you take Computer Science or ICT. ICT is very simple, no hard work there. However if it is computer science the coursework takes up lots of time and can become draining if you make mistakes. Very hard to get an A* in computer science.

History- I love it and its fair to say if you learn the stuff, its easy to achieve good grades!!

I hope that helps, sorry if there any bits which appear negative!! Good luck and I'm sure you will do amazingly when it comes to it!! xx
IftekharAhad
Rep:
?
(Original post by iEthan)
Triple Science: That’s fine, a little bit of work — but fine. Simple enough if you put the effort in.
Maths: compulsory — again, just need to put your work into it and you’ll do well.
English Lit: Pretty good! You’ll analyse poems and short stories and quite possibly a book too — at least that’s what I did. Pretty simple but you have to pay attention and *again* put work into it.
English Lang: One of my favourites. Language analysis from texts, learning to construct and write essays effectively, improving your vocabulary, etc.
History: Awfully difficult imo. Especially if it’s the OCR course. Very specific, lots and lots of content you have to learn.
Business: Very easy - some things are common sense.
Computing: a bit tricky, but if you’re interested in that sort of thing, you’ll be fine — the coursework is a little annoying but apart from that it’s a nice course.
Spanish: I find this to be one of my favourites, I take French too. Simple and if you’re good at English or languages however this year the test was a lot harder than they have ever been before.

Of course, you can get an A* in all of these. Don’t be upset if you don’t, A*-C is absolutely fine.

Good luck.
Thanks.
IftekharAhad
Rep:
?
(Original post by pixiejoanna)
Hey I'm taking my GCSE's at the moment and its going to be a lot of hard work to get A*'s in all your subjects, however if your are hard-working and dedicated it should be fine

Triple Science- It can be hard at times, I find physics a bit tricky but it totally depends on you. There is nothing you can't not get your head around

English Lit and Lang- To be honest, I got an A* in my mocks for both and literally all I did was read through the mark scheme for language and the books for lit.

Spanish- It depends whether you take the iGCSE because this is very difficult and many people I know take it in combination with French as there are cross links or end up getting a tutor for support.

Business- super easy.

Computing- It depends whether you take Computer Science or ICT. ICT is very simple, no hard work there. However if it is computer science the coursework takes up lots of time and can become draining if you make mistakes. Very hard to get an A* in computer science.

History- I love it and its fair to say if you learn the stuff, its easy to achieve good grades!!

I hope that helps, sorry if there any bits which appear negative!! Good luck and I'm sure you will do amazingly when it comes to it!! xx
Thanks! That post really helped!
Imperion
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Exactly the same options(Just substitute Spanish for German) I took but I'm finishing my GCSEs.
loki123456
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi, I am also in Year 9. These are my (I)GCSE choices:

1. Edexcel GCSE Maths (to be sat in year 10)
2. Edexcel IGCSE Further Maths (if I get an A/A* in year 10)
3. Edexcel IGCSE Biology
4. Edexcel IGCSE Chemistry
5. Edexcel IGCSE Physics
6. Cambridge IGCSE English Language
7. Cambridge IGCSE English Literature
8. Edexcel GCSE Geography
9. Edexcel IGCSE French
10. AQA GCSE Computer Science (I could do Edexcel GCSE DT Graphic Products instead)
11. Edexcel GCSE Chinese A* (did in year 8 as a non-native speaker!)

I would like to get at least 8 more A*s as I am quite a determined nerd.

I am also thinking of doing Edexcel GCSE Statistics (got an A in a past paper without having learnt anything) or/and Astronomy outside of school but I don't want an insane workload in GCSEs.

My ambition is to come an Aerospace engineer, I would like to think what everyone's opinions are (do you regret doing / not doing a certain course?) and what the workload was like.
Endian Chief
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by IftekharAhad)
Hi,
Biology (Triple Science)
Physics (Triple Science)
Mathematics
English Literature
English Language
History
Business Studies
Computing
Spanish

Thanks.
History and a Foreign Language are brilliant choices to have, History will enhance your analytical skills, of which are highly valued in many different career areas. A language, especially those such as French, Spanish, Russian or Mandarin, will increase your chances of getting a highly paid job, especially one up in London. Apparently, those who are qualified in at least one foreign language at GCSE are paid £5000 more than those who didn't. History will be a breeze if you love History and are interested by the subject, in the exam you need to be able to analyse a group of 5 historical sources, but I don't know if they've changed this now or not. ICT or Computing is also highly valued by employers as ICT is pretty much everywhere these days and is becoming an increasingly demanded skill or qualification in this Technological revolution. The theory exam itself should be things you are mostly familiar with in everyday life and common sense whilst online, basically things that you use everyday so the answers can practically stare you in the face sometimes. Business will also be valued in places such as London because of course work in the city can be competitive (well when isn't anything competitive nowadays). As for English, Maths and Science, I'm a bit sketchy on the details as according to the Government it's being changed. But if you're doing IGCSE English then it shouldn't be bad at all (just did IGCSE English, to be honest it was the nicest exams I have ever done).

Well anyway I hope this puts things in perspective!
Endian Chief
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by loki123456)
Hi, I am also in Year 9. These are my (I)GCSE choices:

1. Edexcel GCSE Maths (to be sat in year 10)
2. Edexcel IGCSE Further Maths (if I get an A/A* in year 10)
3. Edexcel IGCSE Biology
4. Edexcel IGCSE Chemistry
5. Edexcel IGCSE Physics
6. Cambridge IGCSE English Language
7. Cambridge IGCSE English Literature
8. Edexcel GCSE Geography
9. Edexcel IGCSE French
10. AQA GCSE Computer Science (I could do Edexcel GCSE DT Graphic Products instead)
11. Edexcel GCSE Chinese A* (did in year 8 as a non-native speaker!)

I would like to get at least 8 more A*s as I am quite a determined nerd.

I am also thinking of doing Edexcel GCSE Statistics (got an A in a past paper without having learnt anything) or/and Astronomy outside of school but I don't want an insane workload in GCSEs.

My ambition is to come an Aerospace engineer, I would like to think what everyone's opinions are (do you regret doing / not doing a certain course?) and what the workload was like.
I have just finished GCSE French, and if you're good at French now, you've got nothing to worry about as far as the course is concerned.

I don't know a thing about GCSE Geography let alone IGCSE.

Science should be ok, however some topics are pure evil, Additional Science is the one you need to be careful of.

IGCSE English is a breeze, I had to do IGCSE English this year and this time I was not freaking out about it, it was pretty straightforward and as long as you revise the texts you are given you will do brilliantly.

Oh and if you're not good at Cooking, for god's sake don't pick Catering, I have regretted that from the start. Graphics should be ok though, from what I've heard it's not that bad, but don't take my word for it.

Hope this helps!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (48)
5.86%
Uncertainty around my education (93)
11.36%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (84)
10.26%
Lack of purpose or motivation (104)
12.7%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (40)
4.88%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (45)
5.49%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (90)
10.99%
Financial worries (57)
6.96%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (37)
4.52%
Exposure to negative news/social media (52)
6.35%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (25)
3.05%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (79)
9.65%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (65)
7.94%

Watched Threads