classicscrazy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
My teacher has been away for nearly the entire year so I have no idea how to answer 30 markers in the Odyssey! I need help on what to do in particular, such as how I focus on themes and characters, if I need to ever mention to structure of the Odyssey ect. The exam is a week away, please help!
TSR Jessica
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses.

I'm going to quote in Puddles the Monkey now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :yy:

Spoiler:
Show
(Original post by Puddles the Monkey)
x
Classics_Teacher
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Sorry to hear that you've been in this situation. The most important thing is not to panic!

Firstly, read the question. I know this sounds obvious, but if you start talking about the whole of the Odyssey and you're only supposed to talk about a certain section, you won't get the higher marks (one of the questions on the AQA paper last year asked about Books 9-12 of the Odyssey, for example).

At AS, you will have bullet points to help you structure your answer. It really helps to follow these to make sure you're getting in all the important things that the markers are looking for.

Make sure you have done lots of practice essay plans and essays this week (is there a supply teacher who can look at these for you?). This will help you to spot key themes that come up again and again - Odysseus as leader, the role of mortal women and/or goddesses in the epic, xenia (guest-friendship), the role of fate and the gods, narrative structure (speeches/tales of Odysseus' wanderings etc.)

If you need any more help, feel free to send me a PM and I'll be happy to help in the run-up to the exam.
Clytaemnestra
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi, I'm an A2 student who resat this paper today. How did everyone find it? I thought it was much more straightforward than last year, so I'm hoping for a decent grade to boost my confidence for my A2 classics exams!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (82)
26.8%
England (103)
33.66%
Belgium (26)
8.5%
Germany (37)
12.09%
Spain (5)
1.63%