The Student Room Group

C4 Edexcel Vectors help!

Hi.

So basically i wanted to know whether we need to know how to do part B for edexcel spec i haven't really come across those area questions apart from solomon papers.

3. Relative to a fixed origin O, the point A has position vector 3i + 2j k, the point B has position vector 5i + j + k, and the point C has position vector 7i j.

(b) Find the exact value of the area of triangle ABC. (3)

Asking us to calculate the area with just 3 position vectors. No lines intersection etc. Just assume the triangle as they all come from 0 so we can draw that. part A was calculate the cosine of triangle ABC pretty straight forward.
Just wanted to know whether part B is in the spec otherwise i wont bother with doing those questions wasting my time. If we need to can someone please give me a good method to do that. 1/2ABsinC etc
Original post by MyNameIsMyName
Hi.

So basically i wanted to know whether we need to know how to do part B for edexcel spec i haven't really come across those area questions apart from solomon papers.

3. Relative to a fixed origin O, the point A has position vector 3i + 2j k, the point B has position vector 5i + j + k, and the point C has position vector 7i j.

Asking us to calculate the area with just 3 position vectors. No lines intersection etc. Just assume the triangle as they all come from 0 so we can draw that. part A was calculate the cosine of triangle ABC pretty straight forward.
Just wanted to know whether part B is in the spec otherwise i wont bother with doing those questions wasting my time. If we need to can someone please give me a good method to do that. 1/2ABsinC etc

Not quite sure if its in the spec or not, but nevertheless I would advise you to do it anyway. More knowledge and practice :biggrin:
Reply 2
Original post by MyNameIsMyName
Hi.

You kidding me? I don't know how many past papers you've done but those Area of triangle questions are like the most common 'last parters' on c4 vector questions. They could ask you to work out the area of shapes in vectors coordinates. Be glad this is only a triangle, it could have been a parallelogram or something. Last years paper asked to work out the area of a trapezium in vectors!
Definitely go over it and do more papers if you're not familiar with these type of questions.
Original post by kprime2
You kidding me? I don't know how many past papers you've done but those Area of triangle questions are like the most common 'last parters' on c4 vector questions. They could ask you to work out the area of shapes in vectors coordinates. Be glad this is only a triangle, it could have been a parallelogram or something. Last years paper asked to work out the area of a trapezium in vectors!
Definitely go over it and do more papers if you're not familiar with these type of questions.

usually its a right angled triangle or a point on a line which is perpendicular to another line.

This is just 3 position vectors with no other information given. I know how to do it no problem in that was just wondering.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending