Is it possible to take A-Level PE early?

Watch
llys
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Not for me, just wondering. I assume that for the practical assessment, age is taken into consideration. The theory shouldn't be too difficult for someone who loves sport. So would this be possible? If so, someone reasonably talented could probably do three A-Levels, in Music, Art and PE, at 16 (or even younger) and then just enjoy the rest of their education.
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by llys)
Not for me, just wondering. I assume that for the practical assessment, age is taken into consideration. The theory shouldn't be too difficult for someone who loves sport. So would this be possible? If so, someone reasonably talented could probably do three A-Levels, in Music, Art and PE, at 16 (or even younger) and then just enjoy the rest of their education.
There are no age limits for A levels but you have to meet a set standard which is not age dependent so unless you are extremely talented you are not that likely to perform well at the practical elements if you take them much yunger than the standard age.
gemmax6x
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by llys)
Pe theory is one of the hardest subjects... loving sport is not enough it is much harder than history, psychology, English lit, biology...

also, the practical element is very hard to score highly in let alone at a younger age! Unless you are a national athlete in one of the sports
llys
Rep:
?
(Original post by Compost)
There are no age limits for A levels but you have to meet a set standard which is not age dependent so unless you are extremely talented you are not that likely to perform well at the practical elements if you take them much yunger than the standard age.
Are you sure? Because doesn't that also mean that someone who took the practical AS unit in their A2 year (at 18) rather than in their AS year (at 17), would have been at a massive advantage grade-wise? Or is taking both practical units at the end of the course the normal way of doing it? (Just curious. When I was a kid, our teacher had age tables for things like athletics, so that wouldn't have worked in my country.)
gemmax6x
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by llys)
Are you sure? Because doesn't that also mean that someone who took the practical AS unit in their A2 year (at 18) rather than in their AS year (at 17), would have been at a massive advantage grade-wise? Or is taking both practical units at the end of the course the normal way of doing it? (Just curious. When I was a kid, our teacher had age tables for things like athletics, so that wouldn't have worked in my country.)
Not really, it depends how much younger if it's one year it won't make much difference but it depends on your level and the sport really, but no for ocr pe you do 2 sports for AS and then 1 sport for A2! So if you're only 1 year younger it won't make much difference unless you aren't great at the sport and that extra year of training could make you better if you get me?
llys
Rep:
?
(Original post by gemmax6x)
Not really, it depends how much younger if it's one year it won't make much difference but it depends on your level and the sport really, but no for ocr pe you do 2 sports for AS and then 1 sport for A2! So if you're only 1 year younger it won't make much difference unless you aren't great at the sport and that extra year of training could make you better if you get me?
OK, thanks.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (95)
13.81%
I'm not sure (32)
4.65%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (215)
31.25%
I have already dropped out (16)
2.33%
I'm not a current university student (330)
47.97%

Watched Threads