EraseMeElysion
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hey guys,
I'm studying William Blake for my WJEC A2 English exam and am having a little trouble. My English Lit teacher has suggested everyone memorise quotes from ten poems from his collection Songs of Innocence and Songs of Experience. I've found 8 I'm comfortable with however I can't choose two more. Any recommendations? I want to try and have enough variety so I can feasibly answer at least one question in the upcoming exam well. I've listed the 8 I've chosen so far below:
1. London
2. The echoing green
3. The little black boy
4. Holy Thursday (innocence)
5. Holy Thursday (experience)
6. The chimney sweeper (innocence)
7. The chimney sweeper (experience)
8. The garden of love
LadyKatsa
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by EraseMeElysion)
Hey guys,
I'm studying William Blake for my WJEC A2 English exam and am having a little trouble. My English Lit teacher has suggested everyone memorise quotes from ten poems from his collection Songs of Innocence and Songs of Experience. I've found 8 I'm comfortable with however I can't choose two more. Any recommendations? I want to try and have enough variety so I can feasibly answer at least one question in the upcoming exam well. I've listed the 8 I've chosen so far below:
1. London
2. The echoing green
3. The little black boy
4. Holy Thursday (innocence)
5. Holy Thursday (experience)
6. The chimney sweeper (innocence)
7. The chimney sweeper (experience)
8. The garden of love
Hi If you're going for a diverse range as far as themes are concerned, you've already got social/political poems, portrayal of children etc. I'm quite fond of the Tiger, and it's good for industrialisation, contradictions (alongside the Lamb); the Poison Tree is good for portrayal of human nature and religious symbolism and stuff. I'm not a big fan of the flower poems, but if you wanted something for symbolism and perception of sex/sexual liberty, Little girl lost/found are good. And they also have the religious symbolism again.
Are you memorising just certain quotes? I hate closed book exams I'm doing King Lear/Oedipus Rex for the plays, how about you?
EraseMeElysion
Rep:
?
(Original post by LadyKatsa)
Hi If you're going for a diverse range as far as themes are concerned, you've already got social/political poems, portrayal of children etc. I'm quite fond of the Tiger, and it's good for industrialisation, contradictions (alongside the Lamb); the Poison Tree is good for portrayal of human nature and religious symbolism and stuff. I'm not a big fan of the flower poems, but if you wanted something for symbolism and perception of sex/sexual liberty, Little girl lost/found are good. And they also have the religious symbolism again.
Are you memorising just certain quotes? I hate closed book exams I'm doing King Lear/Oedipus Rex for the plays, how about you?
Hey thanks that's super useful! I have definitely already got context for religion, industrialisation and social/political so I'll have a quick look at the ones you mentioned, though my teacher personally recommended we stay away from the Tiger.

We've been told just to remember quotes we can use well for each of the ten poems we choose. When analysing a poem you only pick out key bits so that's all we need to remember really, as long as you can cover a broad range of AO marks you're golden.

I'm doing Hamlet (which I love and is surprisingly easy!) however our partner text is The Revenger's Tragedy and I hate it You're more than welcome to message me about the upcoming exam it would be pretty cool to get someone else's perspective on it!
LadyKatsa
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
How are you finding AO2/lang. analysis? I'm hoping making a point about a literary/dramatic technique and backing it up with one or two of my 'memorised' quotes will be ok :/
EraseMeElysion
Rep:
?
How are you finding AO2/lang. analysis? I'm hoping making a point about a literary/dramatic technique and backing it up with one or two of my 'memorised' quotes will be ok :/
According to my marked previous paper feedback it's one of my weaker AO marks, my average is around 6/10. It's greatly improved over the last few weeks though which is good. Blake uses a fair bit of imagery and metaphor throughout the works I've selected. Setting (especially in relation to the industrial revolution to get those AO4 marks!), Narrative (the use of children's voices to show innocence), tone, theme and alliteration are all there too.

Definitely picking apart quotes and pulling out certain words to state the denotation and connotation behind them is useful, as is mentioning multiple interpretations if there are any. I think you could do with more quotes in an answer if possible as the focus is mainly on Blake in the question with reference to the unseen poet. We've been told there's no specific percentage as to what you should write on whom but 75% + on Blake is good, so long as you are concise with your reference to the unseen poet.

If you're worried about the quotes and remembering enough of them you don't necessarily have to remember a whole line of quote, even popping in a few single words quoted within a sentence when you're trying to express something is useful.
LadyKatsa
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yeah, I've been using memrise to remember lengthy quotes with my plays. I'm pretty good with the poetry at the moment- like you said, picking out poetic techniques like imagery and commenting on implicit meaning - but I've just found an examplar answer we got given in class (I think it's at a high B grade) and the A02 seems alot less daunting by way of the plays (I'd scan it in and upload it, but the handwriting's almost impossible to read on this copy ) But it's pretty much just pointing out use of imperatives and 'kingly' language, as opposed to things like King Lear's fight against nature. And the poetry section is on Chaucer, which a couple of my friends are doing - it must be murder, it's all in middle-english :/ - but again, it's pretty much just evaluating an aspect of the language and backing it up with a relevant quote.
EraseMeElysion
Rep:
?
Yeah, I've been using memrise to remember lengthy quotes with my plays. I'm pretty good with the poetry at the moment- like you said, picking out poetic techniques like imagery and commenting on implicit meaning - but I've just found an examplar answer we got given in class (I think it's at a high B grade) and the A02 seems alot less daunting by way of the plays (I'd scan it in and upload it, but the handwriting's almost impossible to read on this copy ) But it's pretty much just pointing out use of imperatives and 'kingly' language, as opposed to things like King Lear's fight against nature. And the poetry section is on Chaucer, which a couple of my friends are doing - it must be murder, it's all in middle-english :/ - but again, it's pretty much just evaluating an aspect of the language and backing it up with a relevant quote.
Yeah I agree with you hitting the AO2 marks isn't hard in itself, my issue before was just remembering to stop and fully analyse a quote opposed to just using it to support my point and moving on.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (534)
66.42%
No (270)
33.58%

Watched Threads