Discuss the view that the British constitution is too flexible

Watch
PoliticsStu
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I'm struggling to come up with enough points. I've got the obvious, such as it's unwritten, therefore much more flexible than written constitutions. But apart from that I'm struggling. Any suggestions?
Streisella
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Maybe that it is easily influenced by a current parliament? and that it can change from parliament to parliament, although this can be a pro as well as a con. I'm not to sure, I need to revise...
PoliticsStu
Rep:
?
(Original post by Streisella)
Maybe that it is easily influenced by a current parliament? and that it can change from parliament to parliament, although this can be a pro as well as a con. I'm not to sure, I need to revise...
I also need to revise haha
GeneralStudent95
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It is unentrenched, in the sense that constitutional law is not legally superior to any other law. In this sense, the constitution can be changed just as any other law can be changed. This should be contrasted to countries such as Ireland where the constitution is entrenched; in Ireland, any constitutional amendments must be approved by a referendum. This makes it difficult to change. In the UK you only need a simple majority expressing itself clearly in Parliamentary legislation to change the constitution.

In the absence of a written constitution much of the UK's constitution is regulated by conventions which are uncertain and (arguably) easy to change. The normative force of these conventions are questionable, with some arguing they are mere guides to behaviour which can be changed easily by behaviour to the contrary. This is a debatable issue.
PoliticsStu
Rep:
?
(Original post by GeneralStudent95)
It is unentrenched, in the sense that constitutional law is not legally superior to any other law. In this sense, the constitution can be changed just as any other law can be changed. This should be contrasted to countries such as Ireland where the constitution is entrenched; in Ireland, any constitutional amendments must be approved by a referendum. This makes it difficult to change. In the UK you only need a simple majority expressing itself clearly in Parliamentary legislation to change the constitution.

In the absence of a written constitution much of the UK's constitution is regulated by conventions which are uncertain and (arguably) easy to change. The normative force of these conventions are questionable, with some arguing they are mere guides to behaviour which can be changed easily by behaviour to the contrary. This is a debatable issue.
This was really helpful, thank you!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (44)
18.64%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (68)
28.81%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (88)
37.29%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (30)
12.71%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (6)
2.54%

Watched Threads