The Student Room Group
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website

Advice for accommodation?!

Hi everyone,
I'm Flavia, from Italy and I accepted Reading as a firm choice. Now I am looking for an accommodation but I need your help :s-smilie:
What can you tell me about Wantage Hall? Is the catered accommodation a good choice? what's more convenient?
Thank you guys :biggrin:
Original post by Flaviamongiello
Hi everyone,
I'm Flavia, from Italy and I accepted Reading as a firm choice. Now I am looking for an accommodation but I need your help :s-smilie:
What can you tell me about Wantage Hall? Is the catered accommodation a good choice? what's more convenient?

It depends.

pros of catered accommodation:
- don't have to make own meals
- less costs (don't have to buy kitchen equipment)

cons of catered accommodation:
- more expensive
- if you're a fussy eater then it's not good
- less socialable as you would be if you were to cook with flat mates
- flats don't tend to be as nice as self-catered flats
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website
Original post by Harri2648
It depends.

pros of catered accommodation:
- don't have to make own meals
- less costs (don't have to buy kitchen equipment)

cons of catered accommodation:
- more expensive
- if you're a fussy eater then it's not good
- less socialable as you would be if you were to cook with flat mates
- flats don't tend to be as nice as self-catered flats

Hey thanks for the quick reply! You said catered accommodation is more expensive, I suppose the food allowance topped up is not enough?

Also, when will I be able to apply for my accommodation? I received a conditional offer from the uni but I will have my exams results in July
Hey thanks for the quick reply! You said catered accommodation is more expensive, I suppose the food allowance topped up is not enough?

Also, when will I be able to apply for my accommodation? I received a conditional offer from the uni but I will have my exams results in July

I'm off to uni in September and one of the ones I applied for the cost of the accommodation included the meals with it hence which it would be more expensive!

Each uni is different. Have a look on the website as it might be on there. The uni im going to emails us when it opens so your might do the same but have a look on the website anyway
Yay thanks a lot
Hi everyone,

Hello!

Great to hear that you are coming to Reading this year. I lived in a catered hall in my first year (Windsor) and really enjoyed it! There are also a number of catered halls so maybe check where there location is too when deciding.

First of all, it is very convenient and I didn't have to worry about what to cook or buying food. I liked the food that was served- of course its not like food from home but there are a variety of meals to choose from. It was also very sociable and it was nice sitting down and having meals together with everyone.

As you get a weekly allowance topped up on your campus card, you do have to budget with this. Say for example, you bought bottled flavoured drinks all the time and bought three meals each day- you will definitely run out of money. You can save money by having breakfast in your flat as there is a pantry area with a microwave, fridge, freezer, toaster and kettle so you can prepare small meals. My friends and I only had breakfast at the cafeteria when we felt like having a really big cooked breakfast.

Catered accommodation probably isn't a great idea if you are a fussy eater, in which case your best option would be to choose and cook your own meals!

I hope this helps! Feel free to ask any more questions,
Pip, third year English Literature and History of Art :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest