The Student Room Group

AQA Polish

hey ppl

im just wondering how hard AS and/or A2 polish is? ive got my exam in a week and not sure how much i need to prepare as its my first language. if you're british and have no knowledge in this whatsoever please don't reply, im asking people who have actually sat this exam. 😺

how much did you study? what grades did you get?

xx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey wifey <3

My first language is German and I did a level German. I just did past papers and got an a*

Dm me for advice if you need? :wink:

xx
Reply 2
😩 i need help man

Posted from TSR Mobile
if you go to google and type in past papers you will find out for yourself
Reply 4
yeah as someone who's paid £250 for private examination i was sure to check out the past papers beforehand 😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀. im asking about people's experience cos i don't know if they mark harshly or not

Posted from TSR Mobile
You need around 75 marks for an A in unit 1 (AS) and 75 in unit 2 (A-Level). It's pretty harsh from what I know, but I'm sitting it at the same time as you so all I know is from my friend told me.
Reply 6
AS is kinda easy. First and second sections are straight-forward. Third section is a more general section, where you can literally write anything that's relevant to the question.
A2 however is harder. First section seems the same. Second section is where it gets more tricky - English to Polish! I myself can say that I'm lacking the equivalents of English words in Polish (you can always read the dictionary :biggrin:). Third section is the game-changer, where you have to go through 2-3 media pieces (2 books or 2 films and a book) and write 2 short essays based on them. You can look up resources such as streszczenia, problematyka utworu and interpretacja for each one of the book or film of your choice.
Polish-speaking folks shouldn't have too much problems, since A2 is a 3 hour exam (plenty of time to worry :smile:)
Powodzenia!

For the grades, I got a low A in my AS, and I need another A this year to get a nice A overall.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Artur96
AS is kinda easy. First and second sections are straight-forward. Third section is a more general section, where you can literally write anything that's relevant to the question.
A2 however is harder. First section seems the same. Second section is where it gets more tricky - English to Polish! I myself can say that I'm lacking the equivalents of English words in Polish (you can always read the dictionary :biggrin:). Third section is the game-changer, where you have to go through 2-3 media pieces (2 books or 2 films and a book) and write 2 short essays based on them. You can look up resources such as streszczenia, problematyka utworu and interpretacja for each one of the book or film of your choice.
Polish-speaking folks shouldn't have too much problems, since A2 is a 3 hour exam (plenty of time to worry :smile:)
Powodzenia!

For the grades, I got a low A in my AS, and I need another A this year to get a nice A overall.

Is there anything specific that you need to include in AS writing sections such as time phrases, opinions etc.?
Reply 8
Original post by BlueRose20
Is there anything specific that you need to include in AS writing sections such as time phrases, opinions etc.?

First section are questions based on a text.
Section section is translation from Polish to English.
Third section is short essay based on a question. Last year's question was a personal one, which required you to make an opinion. I think they're looking for advanced grammar and vocabulary in the mini essays, along with reference to the actual question.
Reply 9
For the AS i didn't revise at all and still got an A! However I'm scared as I don't like the history part of the exam and don't want to watch any films based on those events :frown:
Original post by majkaj96
For the AS i didn't revise at all and still got an A! However I'm scared as I don't like the history part of the exam and don't want to watch any films based on those events :frown:

The films are actually really good and easy to understand if you're educated on post war poland, im sure if you spark up a conversation with your parents they'll complain about communism :u:
Original post by Artur96
Powodzenia!

i'm not sure whether you're right about what we have to do in the last section in the A2 exam.

from my understanding you have to pick one question out of two from both of the sections:

i'm doing

The fight for independence as a theme in Polish literature (kamienie na szaniec)

and

The films of Andrzej Wajda ‘Ashes and Diamonds’ and ‘Man of Marble’
Reply 12
Original post by wifeyriddim
i'm not sure whether you're right about what we have to do in the last section in the A2 exam.

from my understanding you have to pick one question out of two from both of the sections:

i'm doing

The fight for independence as a theme in Polish literature (kamienie na szaniec)

and

The films of Andrzej Wajda ‘Ashes and Diamonds’ and ‘Man of Marble’

That's exactly what I meant. I just didn't go into details.
And I see that someone else is doing my options too :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by majkaj96

Well, you don't really have a choice. You can do Topic 2, which doesn't really go into history. The other topic you could do is Topic 4, which is based on two movies about communist Poland.
im a bit shocked that people are sitting the exam haven't read the books or watched any of the films, lol. read the examiners report and someone wrote "i didn't know we were supposed to read anything so im going to write about my favourite book, the fault in our stars" :congrats::congrats:
Reply 15
im a bit shocked that people are sitting the exam haven't read the books or watched any of the films, lol. read the examiners report and someone wrote "i didn't know we were supposed to read anything so im going to write about my favourite book, the fault in our stars" :congrats::congrats:

LOL which paper was that in? But the question is: did they get any marks for that? 😂😂
Original post by Artur96
LOL which paper was that in? But the question is: did they get any marks for that? 😂😂

This year, the performance in the essays was generally not good and in some instances very poor.Many students, and more than last year, had clearly done almost no preparation and some, noneat all.This extract from one particular essay illustrates this point: Niestey nie będę pisać o Polskiejksiążce ponieważ nie zostałam poinformowana, że do odpowiedzenia niektórych pytań będziepotrzebna wiedza o książce napisanej przez polskiego autora więc napiszę o książce, którąniedawno przeczytałam The fault in our stars.

:teehee:
Reply 17
This year, the performance in the essays was generally not good and in some instances very poor.Many students, and more than last year, had clearly done almost no preparation and some, noneat all.This extract from one particular essay illustrates this point: Niestey nie będę pisać o Polskiejksiążce ponieważ nie zostałam poinformowana, że do odpowiedzenia niektórych pytań będziepotrzebna wiedza o książce napisanej przez polskiego autora więc napiszę o książce, którąniedawno przeczytałam The fault in our stars.

:teehee:

Woop woop, this may be quite sad but there may be lower grade boundaries if the trend continues 😈
Original post by Artur96
Woop woop, this may be quite sad but there may be lower grade boundaries if the trend continues 😈

oi reply to my message LOL
Reply 19
oi reply to my message LOL

What message? I haven't received any.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending