How much work experience is expected for Social Work degrees? Watch

SomePaleChick
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
and does it have to be direct work experience in care such as a care home or hospital?

How many hours of work experience do you need?

Where did you get experience from?

Is social work a satisfying career?

Thanks for answering
Jay018
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by SomePaleChick)
and does it have to be direct work experience in care such as a care home or hospital?

Thanks for answering
Cant answer anything else, but Gloucestershire ask for students to have 200 hours worth of experience, so i would guess other would want around the same.
paulusbrewer
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Thanks for answering
It really does vary between all universities. Some require a few hundred hours experience, while others don't state any all. Best thing to do is look on the course website entry requirements for the universities you are looking to apply to and if still in doubt, just email the admissions department and ask directly.
Pixsoul
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Thanks for answering
You don't need direct experience in a care home or hospital type setting; one of the good things about social work is that you can work in such a diverse range of settings that any experience is good. Placements while you're on the degree for example can be anything from local authority social care, to homeless shelters, prisons, schools, hospitals, voluntary sector mental health services, etc.

When I applied, the bulk of my experience was in schools, but I also had experience with a mental health charity, as well as domestic violence and homeless projects.

Some universities will specify a minimum level of experience; but others will just want to see that you're committed to pursuing a career in social work.

As for if it's a satisfying career; it is, and it's lovely to be able to see how far your clients have progressed from when you start working with them, to when you reach the end. That being said, it's not always a walk in the park; there will be days / weeks where you're tired, deflated and you question whether you made the right decision.
SomePaleChick
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by Jay018)
x.
(Original post by paulusbrewer)
x.
(Original post by Pixsoul)
x
Thank you guys so much!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Foundation Year Open Evening Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Jul '19
  • Regent's University London
    Psychotherapy Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 17 Jul '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 18 Jul '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (125)
19.69%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (59)
9.29%
No I am happy with my course choice (358)
56.38%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (93)
14.65%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed