The Student Room Group

What you learned the hard way first year

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SophieSmall
Oh yes this is also true. I almost always do very well on coursework and it takes a lot of pressure off the exams.

In several of my exams I only needed 12%, 14% and 21% in the exams to pass the module....though of course I wanted to get higher than pass.

I definitely wanted to get higher than a pass this year but last year a couple of my weaker modules were just a case of, let's pass the module. Luckily my coursework was pretty good in those modules, and I still passed the exams with 40% and 45% in each exam respectively... All of my final grades for the modules last year were over 50% anyway, which is the main thing. :smile:

Another example this year: doing well in the Electromagnetics coursework. Hence, my relatively lower grade in the exam (40%?, will find out on 6/30/15) will be compensated by my higher coursework grade, so I'll still pass (hopefully with 50% or more).
Original post by spotify95
I definitely wanted to get higher than a pass this year but last year a couple of my weaker modules were just a case of, let's pass the module. Luckily my coursework was pretty good in those modules, and I still passed the exams with 40% and 45% in each exam respectively... All of my final grades for the modules last year were over 50% anyway, which is the main thing. :smile:

Another example this year: doing well in the Electromagnetics coursework. Hence, my relatively lower grade in the exam (40%?, will find out on 6/30/15) will be compensated by my higher coursework grade, so I'll still pass (hopefully with 50% or more).

Yeah there have been a couple of modules in which my grades have suffered :frown: but managed to pass, so it's okay.

It's highly unlikely I didn't pass the exams this year due to the low marks I needed in them, but I'm still nervous to find out D:
Original post by dragonkeeper999
there's no longer a well-defined syllabus listing all the stuff you need to know - so it is really important to do extra reading as well as attending all lectures/ supervisions/ labs. Also, there are no set answers to exam questions and no markschemes - making revision really difficult. University is no longer about learning to pass an exam (as it is at a level), but instead a much vaguer assessment of your abilities.

Also, no resits and constantly assessed practicals means that you can't afford to slip up at all - if you fail, you're out. It's so important to keep on top of the work throughout the year, i started drifting behind in the first term and it took solid studying for the whole christmas vacation to catch up.

oh my gosh
Original post by newblood
What uni do you go to? I havent heard of any unis outside of cambridge that dont give any solutions or makschemes to pastpapers. Harsh imo

I'm at Aberdeen and we don't get exam paper solutions. The occasional course coordinator will give "indicative solutions" which is basically one random past paper with a couple of bullet points about what the question is asking and therefore what should be covered to pass, but that's it. It is incredibly frustrating for my maths based modules because those are the ones that solutions would come in most useful for and those are the ones that we don't get anything for.
What uni do you go to? I havent heard of any unis outside of cambridge that dont give any solutions or makschemes to pastpapers. Harsh imo

I thought this was pretty common, Nottingham (Uni of) are the same, at least in the Theology dptmt.
Original post by GoingToBurst
I'm at Aberdeen and we don't get exam paper solutions. The occasional course coordinator will give "indicative solutions" which is basically one random past paper with a couple of bullet points about what the question is asking and therefore what should be covered to pass, but that's it. It is incredibly frustrating for my maths based modules because those are the ones that solutions would come in most useful for and those are the ones that we don't get anything for.

Original post by Jacob Boris
I thought this was pretty common, Nottingham (Uni of) are the same, at least in the Theology dptmt.

Didn't realise this! Pretty harsh there is such a disparity between different unis and courses.
Didn't realise this! Pretty harsh there is such a disparity between different unis and courses.

Yeah I didn't realise that other unis were getting past paper solutions haha! That would certainly make revising maths based modules far less time consuming for me!
Reply 47
Original post by Arkasia
Correct :frown:

How many essays would you say need to be written a week, and how many books need to be read?

Depends where you're going. The course I'm on (and leaving) asks for basically nothing, maybe 6 essays a term, two of which are 800 words, more an exercise than an essay. The course I've applied to (which admittedly is joint honours English and a modern language) is closer to 15 a term, plus language exercises. For me that's better because I don't want to be allowed to do nothing for weeks and then have essays sprung on me with little motivation to prepare anything beforehand. In English writing essays spread roughly evenly throughout the year is the best way of consolidating what you've learnt, making sure you have secondary sources that are actually useful come exam time. So basically: Embrace the essay! Let the hate/knowledge flow through you!

Yeah, I agree to some extent, but in some ways at least in the humanities I quite like not having set solutions, as I can put my own ideas and form my own arguments on the stimulus set and they are marked for their merit rather than on a criterion of tick boxes and assessment objectives.
Original post by Lwin
Depends where you're going. The course I'm on (and leaving) asks for basically nothing, maybe 6 essays a term, two of which are 800 words, more an exercise than an essay. The course I've applied to (which admittedly is joint honours English and a modern language) is closer to 15 a term, plus language exercises. For me that's better because I don't want to be allowed to do nothing for weeks and then have essays sprung on me with little motivation to prepare anything beforehand. In English writing essays spread roughly evenly throughout the year is the best way of consolidating what you've learnt, making sure you have secondary sources that are actually useful come exam time. So basically: Embrace the essay! Let the hate/knowledge flow through you!

Thanks, which course are you on currently?
Punctuality- still ain't learn, actually. But I've missed many classes for being late since I started Uni 3 yrs ago. If it weren't for my prof looking passed it because of my quality of work I'd have dropped out by now :u:

How to stand up for myself to elders and authority-ever since I was young I was feared into not chatting back to adults, but when I got to Uni I realised I'm an adult now and these ***** are gonna **** me over if I don't let em know wot man like me is about. :gangster:

How to deal with finances- dat financial aid n student service is gonna kill a breh. Those goddamn bureaucrats don't have no respect, cos. :sad:
quickquestion:is psychology a good degree to do in your opinion? also when did you guys start attending open days. Im in year 12 atm...also my mum seems to think i cant be trusted to study outside of london as "i play games too much and im not independent" which i kind of find hard to understand since i pretty much never ask her to do anything for me and i rarely ask for her help the only thing ill admit to is that sometimes i do play games for too long(but at uni i figure i wont bring any games consoles along) and that i cant cook(working on this aspect though)

i want to do psychology at uni what work experience/volunteering do you recommend.I've already done mentoring at 6th form and I've also chaperphoned at my sunday school for a year.
That when you're ill you still have to do everything for yourself... like studying and generally feeding yourself so that you can actually survive :burnout:
Original post by Klix88
A harsh lesson I've seen others learn - the uni can throw you off your course for "lack of engagement", not just for failing exams. They can do it at any time during your first year and they aren't obliged to let you finish the year.

"Lack of engagement" includes things like not going to lectures/tutorials/seminars or repeatedly not turning work in on time. You can be thrown out before you've even taken any exams. If your uni monitors lecture attendance, they can use it as evidence.

True, but they usually tell you this from the start. It shouldn't be something that you discover out of the blue.
Original post by scrawlx101
quickquestion:is psychology a good degree to do in your opinion? also when did you guys start attending open days. Im in year 12 atm...also my mum seems to think i cant be trusted to study outside of london as "i play games too much and im not independent" which i kind of find hard to understand since i pretty much never ask her to do anything for me and i rarely ask for her help the only thing ill admit to is that sometimes i do play games for too long(but at uni i figure i wont bring any games consoles along) and that i cant cook(working on this aspect though)

i want to do psychology at uni what work experience/volunteering do you recommend.I've already done mentoring at 6th form and I've also chaperphoned at my sunday school for a year.

Hi! I do joint honours Psychology and Criminology, so can probably help here
I would say typically psychology is considered "not a proper science" and not a degree worth doing, been as it does tend to be a subject people (girls) do if theyre not sure what else to do - despite this I think its brilliant! I have never done psychology before this year, but it is so interesting and worth a lot to employers - it gives you analytical skills as well as mathematics, statistical and computer-based skills. You'll also learn how to write reports ready for publishing should you want to continue in the field.
In terms of the uni you choose - Ignore your mom. You need to choose the uni that is right for you; I know plenty of people that have been forced into uni/ a particular course by family members and absolutely hate it - remember its YOU that will be paying back that debt!
Also youll find loads of likeminded people at uni - at my uni (Southampton) there is a gaming society as well as anime/manga society and japanese society so if youre into those areas theres plenty! Cooking - cooking is easy if you know basics, just get one of those student cookbooks
In terms of experience, its near impossible to get psychology experience without already having done a degree, so look for stuff with people - whether that be working in a school or a care home, or something more difficult such as victim support or with people with learning difficulties, it all looks good. Reading psychology journals on research also looks good if you can mention that in a personal statement
Hope this has helped; any more questions I'm happy to answer!
Something I've learnt: Your flatmates won't necessarily be the ones you live with in second year and become your best friends. If you don't like your flat, throw yourself in and find more friends
Budgeting. First semester of second year gave me such a scare. I didn't have enough to pay my January rent, even after increasing my overdraft by £500! Luckily my other half was able to lend me the money until my loan came in.
That taught me a harsh lesson! I'll hopefully be able to go into third year without even being in my overdraft, let alone at the £1250 limit!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Klix88
"Lack of engagement" includes things like not going to lectures/tutorials/seminars or repeatedly not turning work in on time. You can be thrown out before you've even taken any exams. If your uni monitors lecture attendance, they can use it as evidence.

How do universities monitor attendance at lectures and seminars and things? Do you sign in before or something?

(I don't think I'd miss many lectures at uni; just wondering.)
Reply 58
Original post by Loose-seal Bluth
How do universities monitor attendance at lectures and seminars and things? Do you sign in before or something?

(I don't think I'd miss many lectures at uni; just wondering.)

Different unis have different monitoring systems. With some, it's computerised - you swipe in/out of lecture theatres and seminar rooms with your student card. Some have manual sign-in sheets. Some have no attendance monitoring.

You tend to find stricter attendance monitoring at unis with a high proportion of overseas students. As part of their right to sign off study visas, unis have to be able to show that their overseas students are attending uni, and haven't just used their study visa to get into the UK so they can work. If they find they have absentee students with study visas, they have to report that to the authorities. This has the knock-on effect of making them monitor all students, as they can't discriminate by race.
If you're having a problem, say something before it gets out of hand. Part of the reason I did so badly was because I'd spent the second term with depression and decided it was a good idea to just pretend everything was fine. It didn't work at all.

Quick Reply

Latest