The Student Room Group

Do I have to pay TV license at uni?

I have heard so. If so, would it be worth just taking a monitor instead, and then using the monitor to play Xbox etc....

I can use my laptop to catch up on TV or even to watch BBC & ITV live???

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lewif002
I have heard so. If so, would it be worth just taking a monitor instead, and then using the monitor to play Xbox etc....

Posted from TSR Mobile

If your tv is not connected to an aerial you don't have to pay for a licence. If it is you do, even if you're at uni.
Reply 2
Original post by Gwilym101
If your tv is not connected to an aerial you don't have to pay for a licence. If it is you do, even if you're at uni.

So I can take my TV and just plug it in to the wall (for power) and then use my Xbox on it... And then I don't have to pay a TV license?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3

Posted from TSR Mobile

If your TV is connected to an ariel, then yes you have to pay. In my halls, they expected every individual in the flat to pay a separate licence fee. However, those who had a tv who said they only had it for dvd/console use although actually used it to watch tv faced no further letters.
So I can take my TV and just plug it in to the wall (for power) and then use my Xbox on it... And then I don't have to pay a TV license?

Posted from TSR Mobile

What a stupid grade 1 question

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah most unis expect you pay it if you watch tv via an ariel, even if you watch tv catch up on your tv is risky. In my halls there's tvs in the living room which we don't pay for, so most people just use that if they don't have their own tv. I have a tv, and just use a HDMI cable connected to my laptop and watch stuff on Netflix and YouTube etc.
Supposed to. They cant tell if you use it to watch your TV, if you get a unexpected call at the door by TV Licensing and insist they come in to check, tell them to go do one.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Plugging your tv into a power socket to play your xbox won't make you pay tv license, that's not how it works... I've got my wii and gamecube here with me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's what I did at uni.
You only need to pay for a TV licence if you're watching live TV, you don't for Xbox, play station, ect

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you are watching live tv, no matter how, you are required to have a tv license.

It doesn't matter whether it's only via iPlayer, or itv, or 4, if it's live, you need a license.
One of our mods, @Reue, has put together a great guide about TV Licensing...

You can find it here.

Cheers,

RF
Reply 12
Indeed; please read the FAQ. In fact some of the other replies here could also do with reading it as they are continuing to spread incorrect information.
Reply 13
Original post by Gwilym101

Wrong; it has nothing to do with being plugged into an aerial or not. What about streamed tv via ethernet cable for instance..
Reply 14
Original post by josh_v
If your TV is connected to an ariel, then yes you have to pay. In my halls, they expected every individual in the flat to pay a separate licence fee. However, those who had a tv who said they only had it for dvd/console use although actually used it to watch tv faced no further letters.

If you are in halls then there is a good chance you would be covered by your parent's licence.

Quick Reply

Latest