The Student Room Group

Wjec ICT AS Level- IT1 Exam (1st June)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Just go online and revise all the mark schemes, can't go wrong there!

Posted from TSR Mobile
is there any memrise courses where i can learn definitions?
The content is just so boring that it makes it even harder for me to revise :frown:
Hi guys,

I am also taking the exam tomorrow, if anyone comes across the question on the past paper June 2011 (or May 2011), question one asks you

''Describe a sensible different use and benefit, for each type of HCI listed below''

Surely doesn't this mean give a different HCI option than the one they have listed? Any opinions on this question thanks.

It's listed as

(a) Biometric Devices

(b) Touch Sensitive Screens.
Reply 44
Original post by TheZaynodium
Hi guys,

I am also taking the exam tomorrow, if anyone comes across the question on the past paper June 2011 (or May 2011), question one asks you

''Describe a sensible different use and benefit, for each type of HCI listed below''

Surely doesn't this mean give a different HCI option than the one they have listed? Any opinions on this question thanks.

It's listed as

(a) Biometric Devices

No I don't think so, you just have to give a use and an advantage..
E.g
A use of biometric devices could be a fingerprint recognition system for entry into a vault. An advantage is that everyone has a unique fingerprint and therefore can't be copied.

(Don't quote me on this. It's better to check the mark scheme!)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Nur_ah
No I don't think so, you just have to give a use and an advantage..
E.g
A use of biometric devices could be a fingerprint recognition system for entry into a vault. An advantage is that everyone has a unique fingerprint and therefore can't be copied.

(Don't quote me on this. It's better to check the mark scheme!)

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're right I checked the mark scheme but the wording of the question confused me! Has everyone else either got IT mark schemes all of their room or 100+ tabs of mark schemes open right now or is this just me thank u wjec :frown:
Reply 46
If I got 74/75 in the coursework how much roughly will I need in the exam to get a D or a C?
Original post by TheZaynodium
Hi guys,

It's listed as

(a) Biometric Devices

You just need to give a use of the HCI and a benefit. So for biometric devices it could be 'registration systems such as retina scanning to gain access to gain access to a room, the benefit being you don't have to remember passwords'. For touch sensitive screens it could be 'used in shops to enter information at POS, the benefit being it frees staff to complete other jobs.' It says different use so you don't give the same use for both HCI (you could give the exact same use for biometric device and touch sensitive screens, as retina scanning could be considered a touch sensitive screen).
Does anyone know if, for section B, we can just name our pages instead of giving the page number? For example my page 1 is just 'Main Screen' so could I call it that instead of giving the number?
Reply 49
Original post by Rayzor97
Does anyone know if, for section B, we can just name our pages instead of giving the page number? For example my page 1 is just 'Main Screen' so could I call it that instead of giving the number?

I think that'll be fine but I'd number it just in case!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by salmoon
If I got 74/75 in the coursework how much roughly will I need in the exam to get a D or a C?

Well if you have an A in your coursework you automatically go in with an E
Reply 51
Original post by sharlhayden
Well if you have an A in your coursework you automatically go in with an E

I dunno if it was an A?
any predictions on the big mark questions,? the june 2014 was the expert system right? and blood bar coding?
Original post by 9836vicky
any predictions on the big mark questions,? the june 2014 was the expert system right? and blood bar coding?

Think it will either be about entertainment used in the home (four uses of ICT for home entertainment and advantages and disadvantages for each). Or could be registration systems used in schools with advantages and disadvantages and computers for teaching and learning with advantages and disadvantages.
Original post by salmoon

say you got 10 in the spreadsheets you'd need 17 for a D and 28 for a C, 39 for a B and 51 for an A.
Original post by Rayzor97
Think it will either be about entertainment used in the home (four uses of ICT for home entertainment and advantages and disadvantages for each). Or could be registration systems used in schools with advantages and disadvantages and computers for teaching and learning with advantages and disadvantages.

thanks so much and i agree!
is this exam predictable though? you guys mention last year it was expert systems and blood bar coding (assuming this is health), did the students last year predict that?
Original post by MikeyCheung
is this exam predictable though? you guys mention last year it was expert systems and blood bar coding (assuming this is health), did the students last year predict that?

I think so. I did the exam last year and remember it being predicted it would be about health or entertainment, and ended up being the former. I am retaking though because I fell under the trap of actually revising from the book. This year I have learnt all the mark scheme answers which is how everyone seems to do well on this exam...
Yeahhhh im going through past papers now and it is on use of ICT for home entertainment, there was also one on MRI and CAT which doesnt seem too bad
This exam is the first one I've done past papers for, it's so stupidly specific that you have to rehearse your answer in some cases instead of just writing it out in your own words. The exam board is horrible.

Does anyone know how you would go about structuring a ten marker?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending