The Student Room Group

Music edexcel AS level

Hey, How do you recommend i revise for Music edecxel AS level? And also, any predictions on the questions this year? Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Hiya,
for instrumental, because there are only 4 pieces to learn, it is most certain they will all come up on the paper obviously but in what order I am not sure. With vocal, just learn them all..
In order to revise, you should do mind maps for each piece (harmony, texture, word setting etc). hen d another mind map for the stylistic features so that you are ready,. I would also say, constantly listen to the pieces over and over again until they are completely stuck in you head so that if any part of the piece comes up, you are ready to answer questions on it. My teacher says that you should go to bed and put headphones on and listen to all the pieces on repeat whilst you sleep.
Hope it all goes well
do any of you's know somebody taking English as level Edexcel ?
English lanaguge ?
Hey. Any ideas as to what era they could ask on the stylistic question for Waterloo Sunset, Après un Rêve, or Shostakovich String Quartet no. 8? The ones like Bach, Monteverdi, Mozart are obvious as to what sort of style will be asked, but some are a bit open...
Reply 5
Just describe important compositional devices of each piece!! Apres un Reve and Waterloo Sunset use a lot of sequence in vocal writing, talk about the harmony... for Shostakovich you can talk about how the piece is based on his initials DSCH and also about the harmony as it is a mix of classical and modern.. etc
Original post by osumka
Just describe important compositional devices of each piece!! Apres un Reve and Waterloo Sunset use a lot of sequence in vocal writing, talk about the harmony... for Shostakovich you can talk about how the piece is based on his initials DSCH and also about the harmony as it is a mix of classical and modern.. etc

Ah OK. Thanks! :smile:
Reply 7
These two videos on Shostakovich's String Quartet will give you a lot to talk about:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyQZIL8TBWU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXTv33P-eWc
Stylistic features for any pieces anyone?
STYLISTIC FEATURES - All the pieces are examples of their style, so the musical characteristic/stylistic features are anything the piece uses

Brandenburg - Baroque
Mozart - Classical (Piano)
Poulenc - Neoclassical
Shostakovich - 20th century auto biographical

Montiverdi - Early Baroque/Italian Madrigal
Faure - Romantic/French Melodie
The Kinks - 1960s pop / rock
Van Morrison - 1970s pop / Soul-funk-pop-fusion (so his influences for the song)
Tanever - English Anthem/20th century
Familia V Miranda - Cuban Son / Fusion music
Sooooo. How did we all find it?
Listening was good but SATB was quite difficult!
Original post by CuriousIncident
Listening was good but SATB was quite difficult!

Oh good - I'm not the only one to find that hard! :') Essays were OK as well (I think)
What was the Cadence for the SATB??
Any cadence worked. I did ii7b-V7-I. That's including tierce di picardie. However it might have been wrong on the basis that the C given for the cadence chord was not prepared and resolved like a suspension and at AS level they do not recognise the 7th as part of the chord. In which case imperfect or even plagal would have worked
Reply 15
Original post by drorwayne
Any cadence worked. I did ii7b-V7-I. That's including tierce di picardie. However it might have been wrong on the basis that the C given for the cadence chord was not prepared and resolved like a suspension and at AS level they do not recognise the 7th as part of the chord. In which case imperfect or even plagal would have worked

I don't think you should have done a perfect cadence. I did that in class before and my teacher said it was wrong. Because the phrase ended on a D and not the root or the third of the tonic chord it signifies that it shouldn't be the tonic chord. The other sign is that there wasn't a note from the dominant chord in the previous note :/
Reply 16
Original post by osumka
I don't think you should have done a perfect cadence. I did that in class before and my teacher said it was wrong. Because the phrase ended on a D and not the root or the third of the tonic chord it signifies that it shouldn't be the tonic chord. The other sign is that there wasn't a note from the dominant chord in the previous note :/

But what you did was technically right so I hope it will be fine!
Listening went well, I did the instrumental essays which I found quite nice. But the SATB was harder, I didn't like the chord progression we were given for question 5, but question 4 wasn't too bad. 😀
Original post by maxwelljacob9
What was the Cadence for the SATB??

Imperfect in G minor however you could have taken the D as the 5th in a I chord and made in a perfect cadence. I tried both but it just sounded better as an imperfect and I think it written to be one.
Some questions I remember from the listening + what I wrote

1) The concertino instruments were 2 flutes and a violin
2) Harmony to start: dominant pedal from concertino violin, I V I chords in G major
3) Harmonic something: hemiola
4) It's in Ritornello form
5) It's a concerto grosso
7) I don't remember why but I wrote something about modulating to the subdominant (C) in the B section

The Lamb
1) It's an anthem
2) Alto part is inverted version of soprano line
3) Bitonal- G major and Eb major at once
4) Retrograde
5) Strophic form
6) How innocence/ simplicity is shown: boys not women singing soprano line, small range (hated this question)

Quick Reply

Latest