Are you content with living a normal life with a 9-5 job?

Watch this thread
TheTruthTeller
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Or are you like me... I want to make a change in this world and leave a legacy. No not in the sence of being famous and making money but promoting a change that will give my life some meaning. I understand many people are glad living simple 9-5 jobs and I respect that. I guess I'm more idealistic- I dream of promoting world change, stopping wars, becoming the Prime Minister or coming up with a revolutionary idea or product. I just don't see how you can live such normal lives. Does anybody else feel like they NEED to achieve more in life than a few good grades and a good job?
bassbabe
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
I refuse to settle with a 9-5 job and live a normal average life. It's like being a housewife. At first you are content with your routine and then after a while you get sick and tired of doing the same **** everyday. Boring imo.
TheTruthTeller
Rep:
(Original post by bassbabe)
I refuse to settle with a 9-5 job and live a normal average life. It's like being a housewife. At first you are content with your routine and then after a while you get sick and tired of doing the same **** everyday. Boring imo.
That's how I feel. I can't imagine actually becoming a lawyer and sitting at my desk for hours stressing over some client's case. I plan to try and maybe start a business over the summer. How about you- what are some of your ultimate goals?
thecatwithnohat
Badges: 20
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by TheTruthTeller)
That's how I feel. I can't imagine actually becoming a lawyer and sitting at my desk for hours stressing over some client's case. I plan to try and maybe start a business over the summer. How about you- what are some of your ultimate goals?
Then get a job that provides variety and allows you to learn new things everyday

Or you can be your own manager i.e. become self-employed? Then you could dictate when and where you worked, what you do etc
sonysharp11
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
I only work at night....if you know what I mean...
Spoiler:
Show
As a waitress you freak
bassbabe
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
My main career goal is to eventually become self emplyed. There's just something about being your own boss Lol DON :cool:
sonysharp11
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by thecatwithnohat)
Then get a job that provides variety and allows you to learn new things everydayOr you can be your own manager i.e. become self-employed? Then you could dictate when and where you worked, what you do etc
Name:  Screen Shot 2015-05-26 at 16.24.06.png
Views: 809
Size:  24.1 KB

This

I needed backup.
thecatwithnohat
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by sonysharp11)
Name:  Screen Shot 2015-05-26 at 16.24.06.png
Views: 809
Size:  24.1 KB

This

I needed backup.
What relevance does this image have with the thread?

PM me if you'd like to talk
Imperion
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
I don't mind tbh.

Though I could shift the hours it would be fantastic. My dad did something similar so he worked 5am -2pm. He had loads of family time unlike most of the guys his age.
Imperion
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
My main career goal is to eventually become self emplyed. There's just something about being your own boss Lol DON :cool:
What might you want to do as an entrepreneur?
bassbabe
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Imperion)
What might you want to do as an entrepreneur?
Something fashion related but I heard the industry is pretty cut throat
Imperion
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Something fashion related but I heard the industry is pretty cut throat
Aha, yeah. How about cuisine, retail services?
It's****ingWOODY
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
I'll never be a 9-5er.
bassbabe
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
I don't think I'd do too well in cuisine, I don't like cooking lol
I'm not sure of the different pathways in retail but I will look into it.
Wbu? What are u interested in?
muonfrisbee98
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Or are you like me... I want to make a change in this world and leave a legacy. No not in the sence of being famous and making money but promoting a change that will give my life some meaning. I understand many people are glad living simple 9-5 jobs and I respect that. I guess I'm more idealistic- I dream of promoting world change, stopping wars, becoming the Prime Minister or coming up with a revolutionary idea or product. I just don't see how you can live such normal lives. Does anybody else feel like they NEED to achieve more in life than a few good grades and a good job?
I think I'll only be happy knowing that I've made a difference
Imperion
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
I don't think I'd do too well in cuisine, I don't like cooking lol
I'm not sure of the different pathways in retail but I will look into it.
Wbu? What are u interested in?
I'm teaming up with my mother to start distribution of refurbished second hand household items. Importing stuff then selling them. For example, a blender, we buy it for 2 pounds. Tax and all and most it'd come to is 4 pounds. If we sell it for 10, it's a 6 pound profit but here's why - at the supermarket they're 30 pounds+ We've had a trial period and it's gone well since we're considerably cheaper than most supermarkets and most of our products in <3 months old. We're making our largest shipment this June so I'm pumped
Andaxay
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Those kind of feelings are exactly why I had to leave retail. I know a lot are fine with the 9-5 working life, it's a stable income and the job can be enjoyable depending on what it is/who you work with/for. But for me? Boring, unchallenging, same thing every day, loathed customer service and towards the end of working full-time I even dreaded going in every morning. I had no interest in being a manager, at store level or higher. 9-6, 5 days a week of the same stuff? Horrible customers? That's not how I want to spend my life. So I left, did some A-levels and am now at Uni, hoping to get into scientific research. I know the work can get tedious sometimes but I want to help people. To actually make a difference to lives through researching horrible diseases and illnesses, no matter how small. If I can go on to discover something through my research that goes on to help thousands of people, I'll be very happy when my time comes (of course the chances of that happening are remote, but you never know! Plus I like labs )
TheTruthTeller
Rep:
(Original post by Andaxay)
Those kind of feelings are exactly why I had to leave retail. I know a lot are fine with the 9-5 working life, it's a stable income and the job can be enjoyable depending on what it is/who you work with/for. But for me? Boring, unchallenging, same thing every day, loathed customer service and towards the end of working full-time I even dreaded going in every morning. I had no interest in being a manager, at store level or higher. 9-6, 5 days a week of the same stuff? Horrible customers? That's not how I want to spend my life. So I left, did some A-levels and am now at Uni, hoping to get into scientific research. I know the work can get tedious sometimes but I want to help people. To actually make a difference to lives through researching horrible diseases and illnesses, no matter how small. If I can go on to discover something through my research that goes on to help thousands of people, I'll be very happy when my time comes (of course the chances of that happening are remote, but you never know! Plus I like labs )
That's awesome!
Asurat
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Is that Akashi in your icon??)
Imperion
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Asurat)
(Is that Akashi in your icon??)
Yeah! Couldn't find a good pic of him being condescending so emperor eye did it :cool:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Sociology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (24)
23.53%
The paper was reasonable (45)
44.12%
Not feeling great about that exam... (23)
22.55%
It was TERRIBLE (10)
9.8%

Watched Threads