withlove
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hey,

I'm trying to do some revision by doing past papers on beliefs and I'm stuck on this 18 marker 'Using material from Item A and elsewhere, assess the view that religion no longer acts as a ‘shared universe of meaning’ for people today.'

What topics would be needed to include cause I'm absolutely lost. Feel like all the past papers have frazzled my brain so hence why I'm struggling on this one.

Thanks in advance
camjamesf
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Without looking at Item A, it looks like the question is talking about the increase in individualism. Whereas before, religion was a provider of shared norms and values, now through globalisation, it's about the needs of the individual.

A good theory for this would be Durkheim and mechanical solidarity v. organic solidarity. Durkheim concludes that education is now the provider of shared norms and values.

New Age movements are gonna be good to use, as Bruce states that modernity emphasizes modernity, and NAM's are an extreme version of individualism.

You could also bring in the postmodern debate between Bauman and Beckford.

If you were to debate the idea that religion has now become another aspect of consumer culture as Lyon suggests, you could bring in Marx and state that if people are able to pick and choose, it would be difficult for religion to oppress people.

I'd be happy to write something up, it you'd like? Would be good revision
withlove
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Berger (1990) argues that religion once provided a ‘shared universe of meaning’ and was used by people to make sense of the world, and to give their lives focus and order. He refers to religion as a ‘sacred canopy’, stretching over society and helping people to cope with the uncertainties of life.

Other sociologists disagree about the role that religion fulfils in society today. Marxists, for example, argue that religion acts to dull the pain of oppression experienced by the working class under capitalism and to conceal domination by the bourgeoisie. Some feminists argue that religion oppresses or disadvantages women.

Thanks! God most questions are usually on one section of the book but this seems to be a mixture and totally thrown me off guard. And yes please but only if you think it would help your revision!

Will look into trying to answer is myself now from the advice you gave me.
camjamesf
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Using material from Item A and elsewhere, assess the view that religion no longer actsas a ‘shared universe of meaning’ for people today

With an ever increasing interconnected and global society, the fundamental basis on which religion is built upon appears to have somewhat deteriorated. Whereas in pre-industrial societies, religion acted as a provider of shared norms and values, it is now much more an aspect of consumer culture. Some sociologists disagree with this view however.

As Berger states in the item, religion acts as a sacred canopy which stretches over society in order to help those in times of crises. This seems to reflect the study of the Trobriand Islanders which Malinowski undertook. In this study, he found that the islanders used 'canoe magic' to help deal with the danger of sea fishing. It also helped promote social solidarity in times of life crises, such as death. Marxists would reject this theory, notably Marx himself, who states that religion merely acts as an 'opiate of the people', oppressing the proletariat further for the interests of the bourgeoisie. It would appear that the Marxists reject the view that religion acts as a 'shared universe of meaning', as the meaning it offers to the working class is vastly different to the meaning it offers to the ruling class. Parsons however, another functionalist, would argue that actually, religion is able to answer life's many questions that science appears unable to answer, such as why there is suffering in the world. In this essence therefore, it could be argued that religion does act as a shared universe of meaning.

Durkheim however looks at industrialisation and the increasing division of labour, and how this has actually led to a reduction on the influence of religion in society, and as a result, no longer acts as a shared universe of meaning. Durkheim states that in a pre-industrial society, there was mechanical solidarity, where solidarity was maintained by everyone being of the same identity. In a more industrial society, organic solidarity has emerged, in which solidarity is created by interdependence between members of society. Durkheim goes further, and states that religion is less important as a provider of shared norms and values, and instead, education has been able to act as a 'shared universe of meaning'. Durkheim's theory appears to be in line with the increasing secularisation in society, and Weber would argue that society now focuses on rationalisation, in which people look for the most efficient ways of achieving goals, as well as the increasing importance of bureaucratic organisations in a capitalist society. Weber states that religion is not able to prioristise actions that are designed to achieve goals, and because of its inability to fit this model, has declined in influence. Durkheim and Weber therefore argue that secularisation has occured because religion no longer acts as a shared universe of meaning.

Society has now become more and more individualistic; a result of increasing globalisation. Bruce argues that modernity emphasises individualism, and that New Age movements are an extreme version of individualism. Heelas describes how New Age movements are about 'self-spirituality', and people look to themselves for guidance. Heelas also stated that New Age movements reject traditional sources of authority, such as churches, and now, people are responsible for their own spiritual path. With the ever increasing popularity of New Age movements, religion can no longer act as a shared universe of meaning, because individual spirituality will differ from one person to another. Drane argues that New Age movements have increased in popularity because science has failed to answer lifes questions. Drane appears therefore to agree with Parsons, however Drane instead argues that because people are looking to themselves for spiritual answers, religion can no longer act as a shared universe of meaning.

Lyon also takes a modern approach to the question, and argues that globalisation has allowed for us to have greater choice over out spiritual pursuits. He states that religion is another aspect of consumer culture, and that people no longer wish to possess the narrative for religion, and the authority that is attached. His argument that we can now 'pick and choose' is supported by a finding in Canada, that 75% of people do not attend church regularly, but 80% state they are religious. Religion is no longer a shared universe of meaning because it people are now able to pick and choose aspects of religion they wish to follow.

Overall, it can be argued that globalisation has been the largest factor in the decline of religions ability to act as a shared universe of meaning. Society now emphasises individualism, and as a result, what may hold value to one individual may not do so for another.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (139)
42.77%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (38)
11.69%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (27)
8.31%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (68)
20.92%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (34)
10.46%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (19)
5.85%

Watched Threads