The Student Room Group

boyfriend's parents really out of line

Quick! help!
My boyfriend's parents have been consistently out of line with me and my family and enough is enough. They are coming over in an hour to pick up their dog... They promised to come when my parents got back from work to apologise and thank them but now they are purposely coming here early. How should I talk to them?
BTW his dad is aggressive and a bit thuggish and his mum is stupid and doesn't understand things most of the time.

Scroll to see replies

You haven't really explained what they've done that's out of line and what you need help with? Could we have some more details?
Reply 2
Not funding my boyfriend thorough uni and I have to pay for him and I can't anymore and need to tell them I need support because I physically can't do it. Constant sex jokes about us in front of family and friends. Misogynistic about me and my mum saying our careers arent 'proper' because we are women. Constant belittling me and my mum and sisteR. Telling my boyfriend to stay with us at my house...my mum can't afford to feed/look after him anymore as she didn't realise it would be long term...palming their dog off on us all the time. Final straw last week they were supposed to stay at my parents apartment for a week for free even though they rent it out usually and need that money...my parents cancelled other bookings for them and paid the cleaning bill.they told me NOT them a day before and said they were going somewhere else in stead and booked other flights (at a £1000 total expense and they 'cant afford' to support my bf)...still taking the dog around and making sure my parents were at work so they wouldnt have to deal with them and we had to chase them around to tell our neighbours of the apartment not to wait up and show them how to get thre....so much stuff I have had enough...
My bf is in tears saying he can't be at uni anymore and he can't afford to live...i don't know what to do because his rent helps me with my mortgage...etc etc please help!
Reply 3
The apartment is a second home abroad sorry...my parents rent it out when they aren't there for income they need!
Reply 4
Go out for a couple of hours. Let them knock the door of an empty house?

Plenty of ways to be a dick in the other direction if you feel they are being a dick in your direction.
Reply 5
And how does that help the money situation?
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous

I'd love to be a dick if it was literally the behavior but my boyfriend can't afford to live/eat right now!

Can't your boyfriend just get a student loan?
Tell your boyfriend to get a job alongside his studies like every other student wanting money. If his parents are "thuggish" and "stupid" then presumably they aren't very well off and he'd have student loans to pay for tuition and essentials etc.
It sounds like you're being used.
Original post by Matt Burgundy
Can't your boyfriend just get a student loan?

He can get a loan to Cover fees and £3000 to cover maintainance and that's it. That won't even cover rent. He does work two jobs full time in the holidays and around his studies. His dad earns £60 000 a year so he gets no student support grants...
He can get a loan to Cover fees and £3000 to cover maintainance and that's it. That won't even cover rent. He does work two jobs full time in the holidays and around his studies. His dad earns £60 000 a year so he gets no student support grants...

WTF.
With that income his dad should be able to support him easily and working two jobs he should be able to pay for rent himself. Is he trying to rent a mansion?

Sorry this isn't very helpful. I don't know what to say.
Original post by Matt Burgundy
WTF.
With that income his dad should be able to support him easily and working two jobs he should be able to pay for rent himself. Is he trying to rent a mansion?

Sorry this isn't very helpful. I don't know what to say.

Exactly what the f.uck I am going to have to get my dad to talk to him as he doesn't speak to women...he just came in to get the dog and ignored me and my mum. My mum is fuming!
If someone points a gun to your head. It's not game over. There are 146 other options you can do in that situation.

My suggestion: Knock 'em aht.

On a serious note, tell his family to **** off. Honestly.
It's not your job to look after your boyfriend, yes it's nice to help but your family shouldn't feel the need to fund everything for him.
I still don't understand why the dad acts the way he does, you live in the UK don't you?
Ok, this got me pretty angry. Is your boyfriend not even standing up to his parents and telling them what they're doing is wrong? Your dad shouldn't have to speak to his dad, your boyfriend should be speaking to his own dad. Tell your boyfriend to man up or leave you because he shouldn't be allowing his family to treat you and your family like that.
My boyfriend's dad is aggressive and has been violent before. He can't just stand up to him. My parents have talked about not supporting him and funding him and I totally agree it's his parents job not mine. But let's say we stay together...we as a family agree that I'd rather support him and he pay me back than he be in debt because then it would be our debt...but again it's not our job.
This is a horrible situation to be in..
How long have you been with him?
I'd love to be a dick if it was literally the behavior but my boyfriend can't afford to live/eat right now!

Step 1. Kick them out of second home. Reclaim rent for renting it out.
Step 2. Boyfriend gets part time job
Step 3. Stop letting them pawn there dog off on you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending