Smug Life
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
What does this mean in the OCR A Specification under "Temperature"? "Describe how there is an absolute scale of temperature that does not depend on the property of any particular substance (ie the thermodynamic scale and the concept of absolute zero)"

Could someone explain this? I understand what absolute zero is.
MrMatheson
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Degrees centigrade was based on water freezing at 0 and boiling at 100, but this was hard to get right since the boiling point also depends on pressure (water can 'boil' at room temperature with low pressure)

The absolute scale is based on two fixed points. Absolute zero (where the particles have minimal internal energy) and the triple point of pure water. The triple point is where you can have ice, liquid water and water vapour but this only occurs at one temperature and one pressure. We then divide these two points into 273.16 small chunks, each of which is 1 Kelvin. We can also take 273.15 from each Kelvin to get out degree Celsius scale (which is based on the absolute Kelvin scale).

Does that help?

Lewis

www.alevelphysicsonline.com
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (640)
33.51%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (806)
42.2%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (378)
19.79%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (86)
4.5%

Watched Threads